2017 outlander goes to limp mode and petrol engine won’t turn on even

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandhu321

Hi guys need urgent help needed
Bought a outlander recently
Car drives fine in the morning on battery for 5-7 minutes then suddenly goes to limp mode and messages displays EV battery service required
If I try to put on petrol engine by pressing charge it turns on but cuts off itself
If I switch off and restart car starts fine again drives for a minute then again same thing as long as I ll keep doing switch off and on car ll drive for less time than earlier
Is there any advice please 🙏
Will be thankful if anyone can help
I live in west London and couldn’t find hybrid mechanic easily in area asked many but no luck

Is the check engine light on? Plug an OBD adapter and read the codes.

Honestly, you should return the car for service if you bought it from a dealer.

Are you charging it with the granny lead or an EV outlet? Garage said that using granny lead (slow charger in 220v socket) for in certain outlets or using and extension cable with granny lead it can cause that alert.

If this happens while you are driving it's probably not the 12V aux battery. My first suspicion given your symptoms and the fact that you just bought the car is that the previous owner did a BMU reset to try and hide the bad condition of the drive battery. You should drive it to a Mitsubishi dealership so that they can run a check and a DBCAM, which will measure the actual capacity of the drive battery.

The car can go in limp mode if it sees that the drive battery voltage is way lower than what it expected. I wouldn't drive the car too much in that condition, you risk degrading the battery even more. If you really need to drive it, make sure to recharge it at home with the granny charger, and put it in charge mode after just a couple of minutes, to make sure to keep the battery at a high level.

Back