What does a new owner need to know?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry - can't change facts. Google: Creep mode in cars.
BLDC motors as used in the PHEV do require power so as to avoid drag but it's minimal and has nothing to do with the behaviour when moving off from stationary.
Incorrect, it has every thing to do it. Because it is there to reduce drag when coasting, which on long declines and a full battery would produce energy flows with nowhere to go and so overheating problems, then it is also present when the car is stationery and in B0 - simples! 🙄
Creep mode is definitely a feature.

Teslas have the ability to turn it on or off.

I mainly use it for parking and reversing up my driveway.

It's another variation of one-pedal driving, it turns off when you press the brake, on on again when you release. I believe it can be turned off in some models with a long brake press.

:)
This still doesn't "prove" that it is not just the consequence of the need to eliminate Regen drag when coasting rather than a "feature". 😎

I also have a beginners question. If I'm coming to a stop or slowing on the highway using B5, do the brake light actually come on? I have no way to verify if they are on.
I have a 21 Dynamic too and I noticed last night the brake lights illuminating signs behind me when using Regen braking.

I'm not convinced I fully understand the paddles and when to use them, other than as an alternative to braking when you can see you need to come to a halt, rather than coast. If I leave it in D, coast rather than brake and use B5 when I can see I need to stop, is that going to be the optimum? Or just leave itin D and not worry about it?

My commute is over the EV range, and includes slow urban with some motorway. Is there a strategy I can use to optimise things? Should I go into "Charge" when on the fast motorway sections?

So confused (but loving the car! :D )

Re the paddles, well, you can, but there is no need to.

Using the brake pedal always uses regeneration first, if there is any room in the battery.

Changing the 'B' level changes how much the regenerative braking is applied as you lift your foot off the accelerator.

If you're on a long downhill section, higher 'B' levels make it easier to keep your speed down.

Regarding Charge mode,

It means that you can decide when you want the engine to run (until the battery is 80% full).

If you are towing, members recommend being in Charge before you climb a steep hill.
Similarly, some members have recommended using Charge before you start an overtaking maneuver.

In both these cases, it's about having maximum power available when you need it, rather than waiting for the engine to start half a second after you plant your foot on the accelerator.

If you've driven cars that have 'turbo lag' that slight disconnect between your request and the vehicle's response, won't bother you.

Otherwise, the decision is purely about how much battery power you want to have at your destination, if you want to sneak around in EV mode at the end of your journey, you use Charge to ensure that you have power available.

If you have cheap or free electricity available at the end, you would only use Charge just enough to get you there.

Remember the bottom line,

You don't have to do any of this.

The car will happily do everything itself, you only do this stuff if you enjoy playing with the features.

"Thanks for this guys. I haven’t a clue what you’re talking about."

Captain Kirk doesn't know how the Starship Enterprise works either.

Buckle-up and command "Ahead Warp One", works for him :)

Re the paddles, well, you can, but there is no need to.

Using the brake pedal always uses regeneration first, if there is any room in the battery.

Changing the 'B' level changes how much the regenerative braking is applied as you lift your foot off the accelerator.

If you're on a long downhill section, higher 'B' levels make it easier to keep your speed down.

Regarding Charge mode,

It means that you can decide when you want the engine to run (until the battery is 80% full).

If you are towing, members recommend being in Charge before you climb a steep hill.
Similarly, some members have recommended using Charge before you start an overtaking maneuver.

In both these cases, it's about having maximum power available when you need it, rather than waiting for the engine to start half a second after you plant your foot on the accelerator.

If you've driven cars that have 'turbo lag' that slight disconnect between your request and the vehicle's response, won't bother you.

Otherwise, the decision is purely about how much battery power you want to have at your destination, if you want to sneak around in EV mode at the end of your journey, you use Charge to ensure that you have power available.

If you have cheap or free electricity available at the end, you would only use Charge just enough to get you there.

Remember the bottom line,

You don't have to do any of this.

The car will happily do everything itself, you only do this stuff if you enjoy playing with the features.
Hi Andy,

When you say 'using the brake pedal always uses regeneration first', do you mean that pressing the brake pedal actually activates regeneration? I had assumed that the brake pedal acts only to operate the mechanical brakes on the wheels. I generally drive on B4 all the time, using regeneration to slow the car, and only use the brake pedal if I need to lose speed suddenly or want to come to a complete stop. (In answer to an earlier post, I think my (2018, UK-spec) brake lights come on only in B5, which is why I use B4.)

When towing a trailer, I make sure to always have some charge in the battery to help me over the tops of hills, otherwise it's often a long, slow grind to the top. So my advice to the new Outlander owner would be use the 'Save' and/or 'Charge' buttons as necessary to keep, say, 50% charge available when towing.

Hi Andy,

When you say 'using the brake pedal always uses regeneration first', do you mean that pressing the brake pedal actually activates regeneration? I had assumed that the brake pedal acts only to operate the mechanical brakes on the wheels. I generally drive on B4 all the time, using regeneration to slow the car, and only use the brake pedal if I need to lose speed suddenly or want to come to a complete stop. (In answer to an earlier post, I think my (2018, UK-spec) brake lights come on only in B5, which is why I use B4.)

When towing a trailer, I make sure to always have some charge in the battery to help me over the tops of hills, otherwise it's often a long, slow grind to the top. So my advice to the new Outlander owner would be use the 'Save' and/or 'Charge' buttons as necessary to keep, say, 50% charge available when towing.
Yes! Just look at what the power dial does. Whenever it goes anti clockwise (lower) than 0, it is doing regen. Above is using power. I can't see how anyone cannot see and understand something so basic.

I've had mine for about 9 years now...

The car is not particularly demanding.

Plug it in the night before you need a full charge.

Use the paddles (regenerative braking) to manage your speed when needed.
(Stop-go traffic, or on long downhill sections.)

There's no need to mess around with apps or dongles, the car manages itself.

Driving around in 'Normal' mode all the time is fine, but you can also use 'Charge' mode if you want to have battery power available at the end of your trip.

If you don't use any petrol in six months, the car will switch to a mode where the engine runs all the time (while turned on) to keep the fuel system, and the engine, in good shape. It will keep doing this, until you've added another 20 litres of fuel into the tank.

In the nine years I've had mine, I've only needed to add water to the washer bottle, air in the tyres, and petrol in the tank.

:)

After noticing that I was going to the local petrol station, purely to put air in the tyres, I decided to buy a compressor. This probably made more sense for me, because I also have bikes, a kayak trailer (plus a trolley for the kayak itself), and garden equipment with inflatable tyres.

I don't think I've seen any other forum member mentioning that they have done the same.
wait a minute! NO oil change in 9 years?

The car is serviced annually.

I haven't had to change the oil.

(Checked it a zillion times, but it has never needed any.)

In my case, the lion's share of driving is EV.
Me too, the oil is the colour of olive oil.... LOL. I guess cause the engine maybe isn't on often so not heating up as much....? Not sure

Another question from this new owner; is it possible to get any data from the Outlander? I have the phone app and can schedule various things but I can't see how to download any mileage information.

Is this possible please?

Back