What does a new owner need to know?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi l/s

Can I ask you why you knock it in to B5. It doesn't seem to make sense to me surely when you accelerate you are accelerating against your B5 braking force ? I'm probably not getting something I'm new to Outlander Phew. I have to say tho I am finding it fascinating to use and adds an extra dimension to the boring drive!!
Ok thanks

Pete
Its not a braking force. When you accelerate you send energy to the electric motors. When you use Regen you are taking energy from the motors which are then acting as generators. The two can't happen at the same time, which is why the B setting you have pre-selected only comes into effect if you stop sending energy by taking your foot off the accelerator! Does this help explain it?

The car rolls for surprising long distances on gentle slopes with no accelerator and B0.
You save more energy by coasting than you gain by regen.
Of course use more B to reduce speed on steeper hills.

Its not a braking force. When you accelerate you send energy to the electric motors. When you use Regen you are taking energy from the motors which are then acting as generators. The two can't happen at the same time, which is why the B setting you have pre-selected only comes into effect if you stop sending energy by taking your foot off the accelerator! Does this help explain it?
Ah yep I get the concept....it's very clever. Thanks

Hello. I want to change the battery from 12 kwh to 20 or more. I want to know the purchase details and where I can find it and is this possible. I hope that someone with experience will share the details with me.
I am also interested in this matter. I already have 5 batteries of 48v , 20Ah. Even if we could add them externally it would be great.

The car rolls for surprising long distances on gentle slopes with no accelerator and B0.
Ah, but the "B5 one pedal" fans claim to be able to apply just enough pressure to the accelerator to negate the Regen and , in effect, replicate B0. Whilst I might admire their dexterity, it does seem to be an awful lot of effort, instead of just flicking the joystick & paddles to the zero setting! 🤣

Ah, but the "B5 one pedal" fans claim to be able to apply just enough pressure to the accelerator to negate the Regen and , in effect, replicate B0. Whilst I might admire their dexterity, it does seem to be an awful lot of effort, instead of just flicking the joystick & paddles to the zero setting! 🤣
Even easier to just leave the car in <normal>. My experience shows little if any differences in gasoline consumption. If you want to save energy drive less aggressively, brake gently, and don't drive up hills :)

I also have a beginners question. If I'm coming to a stop or slowing on the highway using B5, do the brake light actually come on? I have no way to verify if they are on.
I have an MY16 and the brake lights come on in B5 mode. You should be able to them at night reflecting on number plates of following cars or reflective road signs for traffic going the other way to you.

Dear Mike,
You are right. If you can roll without using B5 to slow, even on steeper hills without obviously getting an accident- this is what happens- When energy is transformed from one form to another, or moved from one place to another, or from one system to another there is energy loss. This means that when energy is converted to a different form, some of the input energy is turned into a highly disordered form of energy, like heat. Functionally, turning all of the input energy into the output energy is nigh impossible, unless one is deliberately turning energy into heat (like in a heater). As well, whenever electrical energy is transported through power lines, the energy into the power lines is always more than the energy that comes out at the other end. Energy losses are what prevent processes from ever being 100% efficient. In an electric car, energy lost in electricity use is as follows:
Electricity use is a good example that illustrates energy loss in a system. By the time the energy associated with electric power reaches the user, it has taken many forms. Initially, the process begins with the creation of the electricity through some method. For example, the burning of coal in a power plant takes the chemical energy stored in the coal and releases it through combustion, creating heat that produces steam. From here the steam moves turbines and the mechanical energy here turns a generator to produce electricity. A typical coal fired electrical plant is around 38% efficient,[2] so ~1/3 of the initial energy content of the fuel is transformed into a usable form of energy while the rest is lost. Further losses occur during the transport of this electricity. In the transmission and distribution of electricity in the United States, the EIA estimates that about 6% of the electricity is lost in these processes.[4] Finally, the electricity reaches its destination. This electricity could reach an incandescent light bulb wherein a thin wire is heated until it glows, with a significant amount of energy being lost as heat, shown in Figure 1. The resulting light contains only about 2% of the energy content of the coal used to produce it.[2] Changing to CFL light bulbs can improve this by about 4x, but that only takes it up to 8% of the initial chemical energy in the coal.

Fuels have enormous energy contents, but very little actually ends up as usable energy and most is lost. These energy losses result in extremely inefficient processes, some of these come from fundamental limitations like the second law of thermodynamics, but some provide opportunities for better engineering.

It is simple laws of physics. So smart alecs delude themselves by thinking that if you put your car on B0 all the times, or put it on charge, or ECO...you save so much energy. Well done and well understood to them. YOU CANNOT. You have a hybrid vehicle which uses a combination of ICE and electric battery, utilising this to the max. By them [not you] that you will get all your energy back by putting it on B5, or ECO, or CHARGE ie 100% of it is all codwobblers. They are deluding themselves and living in denial. What you are doing is the most efficient use of energy. Put it on NORMAL, drive not too fast, B0, and if possible brake as little as possible and if you need to brake, use REGEN to slow vehicle down. Another basic law is that the faster you drive over the same distance, THE MORE ENERGY IT WILL USE. So drive at around 40 to 50mph or 60 kph. Try to use up all the energy when pressing the accelerator TO MOVE THE CAR, or as much of it as possible without wasting it on Charge or B5. Good luck

Even easier to just leave the car in <normal>. My experience shows little if any differences in gasoline consumption. If you want to save energy drive less aggressively, brake gently, and don't drive up hills :)
Agreed, topography is an EV's Achilles heel for range. With an ICE the inefficiency of the power train is so abysmal that the extra fuel consumption to lift 2 tonnes even a few metres in altitude goes unnoticed! 🙄

Well said, and well understood, you clever man- as I support your contention with the article below. Thank Goodness there are still some intelligent people here. Keep up the good work.

Well said, and well understood, you clever man- as I support your contention with the article below. Thank Goodness there are still some intelligent people here. Keep up the good work.
Gosh ... 1st time today that I've not been called stupid :) And I appreciate it! Now, what about those magic plugin devices I've seen advertised (that the power companies don't want me to know about) which will reduce my power bill by 80% :)

Seriously, I find it so interesting to see how much BS there is about B5 over B0, <tarmac> mode over <normal>, etc. And, I think a lot of this is fueled by ignorant sales people at dealerships who probably know better, but really want that next sale.

Yes def agree with that. The last few miles of my trip home is coasting with no reduction in speed. It does feel to be honest that there is some propulsion going on .......... from motors maybe!!! but I'm not sure .

Yes def agree with that. The last few miles of my trip home is coasting with no reduction in speed. It does feel to be honest that there is some propulsion going on .......... from motors maybe!!! but I'm not sure .
Apparently there is some energy used to spin the motors in line with the rotational spin of the wheels in B0 to prevent them apply a Regen drag and slow you down. You can demonstrate this at very low speed by putting the car into neutral instead of B0.

Apparently there is some energy used to spin the motors in line with the rotational spin of the wheels in B0 to prevent them apply a Regen drag and slow you down. You can demonstrate this at very low speed by putting the car into neutral instead of B0.
Ah Ok, that's interesting must give it a go.

Placing the Car in B0 does still have small propulsion as can be demonstrated as follows. When stopped, place Lever in B0, release the foot brake, the Car will move forward.

Whe I was using the PHEV Watchdog with both, my 2018 and 2022, the amount of power delivered to the elect motor was measurable when in BO, while stopped as soon as the brake pedal was depressed power to the Elect was interrupted.

So placing the car in Neutral or applying tge brake pedal at a stop, provided the same function, namely, removing power to the Elect Motor

Placing the Car in B0 does still have small propulsion as can be demonstrated as follows. When stopped, place Lever in B0, release the foot brake, the Car will move forward.

Whe I was using the PHEV Watchdog with both, my 2018 and 2022, the amount of power delivered to the elect motor was measurable when in BO, while stopped as soon as the brake pedal was depressed power to the Elect was interrupted.

So placing the car in Neutral or applying tge brake pedal at a stop, provided the same function, namely, removing power to the Elect Motor
That's "creep" mode. Just about all cars have it (deliberately) to emulate automatic cars with torque converters where is was unavoidable. Nothing to do with regen.

That's "creep" mode. Just about all cars have it (deliberately) to emulate automatic cars with torque converters where is was unavoidable. Nothing to do with regen.
Unlikely that Mitsu would seek to add a feature to emulate the disadvantage of an auto ICE, when there is an actual requirement not to cause drag from idle motors when coasting! 🙄

Unlikely that Mitsu would seek to add a feature to emulate the disadvantage of an auto ICE, when there is an actual requirement not to cause drag from idle motors when coasting! 🙄

Sorry - can't change facts. Google: Creep mode in cars.
BLDC motors as used in the PHEV do require power so as to avoid drag but it's minimal and has nothing to do with the behaviour when moving off from stationary.

Creep mode is definitely a feature.

Teslas have the ability to turn it on or off.

I mainly use it for parking and reversing up my driveway.

It's another variation of one-pedal driving, it turns off when you press the brake, on on again when you release. I believe it can be turned off in some models with a long brake press.

:)

Back