PHEV for Australian camping, light offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasmine

Hi all,
First post here! Not an immediate purchase, but prob in the next 12 months or so I'm looking to replace my current people-carrier/MPV/minivan which we currently use for car camping with something that's more sustainable in terms of the wellbeing of Earth, and that will also let us do some more adventerous camping/touring locations in QLD and far north NSW. We aren't interested in hard-core 4WD drive stuff - just being able to handle some dirt roads, tracks and corriugations etc.

I used to have an i-miev and absolutely loved it, so in terms of electric elemtns of the drivetrain, I'm really happy, as this will be our only vehicle so my commute and grocery runs etc will be covered entirely almost entirely within the electric range, with the ICE there for longer trips.

I do find the different generations and localisations of the Outlander confusing though, and am a bit unsure about it's capabilities, so hopefully someone on the forums with local experience of the vehicle in Aus can help out? The sort of thing we're looking to do is fit a roof tent, awning, some decent tyres, and use the inverter from the traction battery to handle our (pretty basic) electrical needs, have a water bladder in the rear footwells, and a fridge in the back.

Firstly, which Outlander PHEVs in the Australian market come with the 240v power outlet? Was this with the Outlander from the beginning, or is it a newer thing? How's it held up when used for camping? We'd like to run a modest fridge (30-40L), a laptop charger and some USB fairy lights, charge GPS / Satphone etc.

Secondly, is it possible to fit some more dirt friendly tyres to the stock vehicle, without messing about with suspension? Again not for hardcore off roading, but dirt roads, some gentle water crossings etc, as well as daily driving.

Thirdly, sort of related to the above but are the standard shocks/springs etc capable of handling rougher tracks (esp corrugations), and if not - is there anything for the PHEV on the Aus. market that would be up for the job without doing any wild mods or costing a fortune?

Lastly, is the underbody protected in any meaningful way? I'm not worried about it bottoming out so much, as we aren't going to go crazy, but more worried about damage from loose stones on the road, or any stupidly low hanging intakes down there that will flood or get clogged up at the first sign of dust or water. Are there any after-market protection kits available, should it be needed?

My instinct is that the Outlander PHEV is not for you.

It's a city style soft-roader.

It has terrible ground clearance and has a host of electronics that are probably very sensitive to water incursion.
If the electronics are injured, you end up with a car that cannot be driven.

Every gram of stuff you put onto the car, including heavier tyres, will reduce the electric range of the car in the city.

If you do take one off the bitumen, you'll need to find a way to carry a spare.
(Mitsubishi don't provide a spare wheel, because of the amount that reduces electric range.)

For specifics, you'll need to talk to people about specific models.

Mine doesn't have any under-body protection, nor does it have an inverter or outlet.

One forum member has posted that the PHEV does do very well in sand.
On a four wheel drive course, the instructors were unable to bog the PHEV.
(Possibly a combination of the extra 800kg weight, and the high torque at 0 RPM.)

That would be the last vehicle to take on a trip outside civilization, honestly.

It can do DRY light offroad, but the fuel tank is so small...

You can go camping at a nearby mountain or a park if the roads allow, but you should probably get another vehicle for regular light offroading, especially if there's water and mud.

The Toyota LandCruiser Prado is a pretty good choice.

I may have painted too bleak a picture, because of the question about buying under body protection.

I routinely take mine for short distances on unsealed roads (i.e. less than 5km), and use the car for things like hauling my kayak around.

My concern was about extended periods of unsealed roads and the risk of cracking the battery compartment, and the risk of being stranded by water incursion.

Similarly, if the original author was thinking about fitting a roo bar, a winch, under armour, carrying spare wheels etc. the result would be greatly reduced city range, and pretty much negating the value of having a plug-in hybrid.

Mine has been on dirt roads, wet grassy fields, beaches, and car parks near boat ramps.

Probably what I should have said, is: "If you're only using roads where you'd confidently take a regular two wheel drive sedan, the PHEV will excel in those environments."

But if you're thinking of anything that you'd be using an off-road vehicle for, then probably not the PHEV.

Hi guys. You might find this interesting.

We have a 2022 phev
Last year we towed a 16’ caravan Sydney to Uluṟu (Ayer’s rock) Kings Canyon and other places. 7000klms. A few hundred klms of gravel. Good and bad.

We are currently towing 16’ van. Just been Sydney to Daintree via Roma, Emerald, Carnarvon and Cobold gorges etc.
About 100 klms of corrugations this time.
Recently drove the Bloomfield track (without van) from cape tribulation to Wujal Wujal then on to Cooktown.

“Please note”
Any rough stuff we stop, maybe get out and check best path to avoid bottoming out. Creek crossings carefully check depth of water (watch for crocs).

After a clean up this car looks and drives like new, just had 45,000 klm service with no problems.

Shows no sign of battery degradation after approx 20,000 klms towing van (1450 kgs)
Carrying spare tyre, 20 litres of water, folding table and chairs, tools. etc In back of car.

Keep in mind also that Mitsubishi australia drove one of these cars across the Simpson desert.

Sorry if I sound like an ad for the outlander phev, but just wanted to share our experience so far, for anybody wondering how the latest generation of outlander phev might handle a little bit of rough stuff.

I have noticed the current advertising campaigns, so suspect that the latest model has been beefed up for off-road work.

However, the places that they're driving, don't really look like off-road tracks, so I would probably continue to be cautious, until I see a review by one of the four wheel drive shows.

BTW. I take the point about the PHEV having competed in rallies, and cross-country trips etc. but have seen manufacturers hauling around a semi-trailer of spares and a team of engineers to do those things. The Dakar even has helicopter support!

I'd drive mine on the moon if I had that kind of support behind me.

I have noticed the current advertising campaigns, so suspect that the latest model has been beefed up for off-road work.

However, the places that they're driving, don't really look like off-road tracks, so I would probably continue to be cautious, until I see a review by one of the four wheel drive shows.

BTW. I take the point about the PHEV having competed in rallies, and cross-country trips etc. but have seen manufacturers hauling around a semi-trailer of spares and a team of engineers to do those things. The Dakar even has helicopter support!

I'd drive mine on the moon if I had that kind of support behind me.

the recent "offroading in the outlander PHEV" stuff is a good sign they're starting to understand the true market niche for PHEVs

for the daily commute, EVs will always be superior.

PHEVs are most appealing to people who like the idea of an EV but need/want the ability to run on petrol occasionally, not just for long trips, but for the ability to use a PHEV as a mobile powerplant while camping or during blackouts. (ideally, the outlander needs a 5+kw inverter that runs from the 350v traction battery).

the torque characteristics of EV drivetrains make them theoretically great for offroading, potentially making them even better than actual "proper" offroad 4wd vehicles like the pajero, but an "all electric 4wd" just isn't viable due to range and charging station access, and that makes PHEV the best option by far.

in the next few years i expect to see PHEV marketing and design reorient towards campers, offroad vehicles, and work vehicles (where your ute being a 10kw electrical generator is extremely useful). ford is already planning to release a PHEV ranger (which would be great if ford's reputation for reliability and service wasn't absolute garbage...)

a cheap electric daily commute combined with true offroad capability and mobile power generation is the rural aussie's dream, if mitsubishi announced a fully off-road capable PHEV pajero and triton in australia there are hundreds of thousands of cashed up aussie mining employees who would be scrambling to get their hands on one, and probably millions of americans, and the vast majority of them will never have any interest in buying a pure EV. its an untapped market niche.

In

PHEVs are most appealing to people who like the idea of an EV but need/want the ability to run on petrol occasionally, not just for long trips, but for the ability to use a PHEV as a mobile powerplant while camping or during blackouts. (ideally, the outlander needs a 5+kw inverter that runs from the 350v traction battery).
In general you are scratching on my itching point. I am new to Mits PHEV and I feel comfort on one thing and discomfort in another. Everyday I got new things from this forum.

I am not OFFROAD guy, so, I have no idea about how good is PHEV in offroad. The idea I totally agreed with is that PHEV is a good concept for Mobile power plant. I expect more car industry join this issue, and let the regular people not to spend money for extra equipment.

In

In general you are scratching on my itching point. I am new to Mits PHEV and I feel comfort on one thing and discomfort in another. Everyday I got new things from this forum.

I am not OFFROAD guy, so, I have no idea about how good is PHEV in offroad. The idea I totally agreed with is that PHEV is a good concept for Mobile power plant. I expect more car industry join this issue, and let the regular people not to spend money for extra equipment.

The outlander PHEV needs a bash plate to protect the underbody, significantly better ground clearance, wider offroad tyres for sand/mud to compensate for the vehicle being heavier, and enough waterproofing to be able to wade (river crossings, etc) but the torque characteristics of the electric drive are perfect for offroading. the drivetrain doesn't need any physical changes, just slightly better software for the traction control.

they could turn the outlander into a mobile powerplant right now by releasing a portable inverter (based off the ones used for home solar) with a plug suited to fit the CHAdeMO outlet, CHAdeMO controls the charging so it just needs the software to run controlled discharging and it could pretty easily handle 10kw. the portable inverter would probably cost $5-10k AUD (3-7k USD).

The outlander PHEV needs a bash plate to protect the underbody, significantly better ground clearance, wider offroad tyres for sand/mud to compensate for the vehicle being heavier, and enough waterproofing to be able to wade (river crossings, etc) but the torque characteristics of the electric drive are perfect for offroading. the drivetrain doesn't need any physical changes, just slightly better software for the traction control.

they could turn the outlander into a mobile powerplant right now by releasing a portable inverter (based off the ones used for home solar) with a plug suited to fit the CHAdeMO outlet, CHAdeMO controls the charging so it just needs the software to run controlled discharging and it could pretty easily handle 10kw. the portable inverter would probably cost $5-10k AUD (3-7k USD).
So you must be offroad enthusiast. That looks good.
I was just a regular commuter, who has some engineering curiosity all around, but I was busy to work as employee. For your information. I once had a bad experience of power outage, it still makes me thinking about emergency back up power system. However my budget is always a powerful barrier, so digging for cheap way to have power back up. If there is a way without spending big money by utilize Mits PHEV as reliable mobile power, it could be a good news to me. Still K-ish dollar is not realistic to me, yet. Just $200+ inverter is good to me.

Not that this is really matters in Australia, but subjectively I have found the Outlander to be about equal to my old Forester with Michelin winter tires for traction in deep snow, but significantly better to steer in "mud mode".

Last edited:
I would like a bash plate and a bit more clearance, doesn't seem to be a plate made for this model though. Clearance is also problematic here in Oz as the kits avaiable are illegal and would give Mitsubushi a fit when we service. Taller tyres may be my only option. Most of my driving is on unsealed roads here on the Island of lost dreams.

I would like a bash plate and a bit more clearance, doesn't seem to be a plate made for this model though. Clearance is also problematic here in Oz as the kits avaiable are illegal and would give Mitsubushi a fit when we service. Taller tyres may be my only option. Most of my driving is on unsealed roads here on the Island of lost dreams.

Mitsubishi Australia's CEO got a bash plate installed on an Outlander PHEV and drove it across the Simpson desert, so its certainly possible, just unreasonably difficult on the "island of government-says-no".

Bigger wheels/tyres shouldn't be too difficult, the bash plate may be expensive but should be road legal, the tricky part is getting more ground clearance as it may compromise on-road handling. variable air/hydraulic suspension systems are subjectively legal in australia, and while they're more expensive than a lift kit, the fact you can decrease the ground clearance for on-road driving may make the difference between getting approval or not.

If i were you i'd get in contact with Mitsubishi HQ in South Australia and ask them.

Yes, saw the video, but that was the new model. Air suspension? Lol, if I win the lottery. And then I'll buy a Defender.

road safety laws are designed to cater to "the dumbest people on the road" and are practically neurotic when it comes to safety, very much a "well a baby can't chew a steak so nobody is allowed steak" situation, because the government is too stupid to invest in better training for drivers, they'd rather have us all wear bubble wrap and drive 5km/hr everywhere.

i can't "advise" doing anything of questionable legality but i know exactly what i'd do.

the recent "offroading in the outlander PHEV" stuff is a good sign they're starting to understand the true market niche for PHEVs

the torque characteristics of EV drivetrains make them theoretically great for offroading, potentially making them even better than actual "proper" offroad 4wd vehicles like the pajero, but an "all electric 4wd" just isn't viable due to range and charging station access, and that makes PHEV the best option by far.

in the next few years i expect to see PHEV marketing and design reorient towards campers, offroad vehicles, and work vehicles (where your ute being a 10kw electrical generator is extremely useful). ford is already planning to release a PHEV ranger (which would be great if ford's reputation for reliability and service wasn't absolute garbage...)

a cheap electric daily commute combined with true offroad capability and mobile power generation is the rural aussie's dream, if mitsubishi announced a fully off-road capable PHEV pajero and triton in australia there are hundreds of thousands of cashed up aussie mining employees who would be scrambling to get their hands on one, and probably millions of americans, and the vast majority of them will never have any interest in buying a pure EV. its an untapped market niche.

Yep you’re right about the elec drive train characteristics.
Had a land cruiser in the past, then more recently an Isuzu d max.
On rough or steep dirt tracks the phev lets me run really slow (to pick best way through) with perfect control of power to gently climb out of deep ruts and holes etc.
Shame about the ground clearance.

My 2015 Outlander has very limited stall torque compared to traditional off road vehicles like a Mazda Demio.
I had an unpleasant moment where I went around a gate through a steep grassy dip (in the middle of nowhere). The Outlander got to the bottom, and simply could not roll it's wheels up the the other side as it was too steep for the torque available The townie tires were not slipping on grass. Luckily I was able to rock back and forth until I could hit the steep bit with enough speed to get over it.
This is a stall-speed issue.

Try these:
Tie the towbar to a tree. See if you can spin the tires and get any significant pull or spin the wheels on grass or gravel
Put a 4"x6" under the front wheel. See if you can get over it, or even get the wheels to spin

My 2015 Outlander has very limited stall torque compared to traditional off road vehicles like a Mazda Demio.
I had an unpleasant moment where I went around a gate through a steep grassy dip (in the middle of nowhere). The Outlander got to the bottom, and simply could not roll it's wheels up the the other side as it was too steep for the torque available The townie tires were not slipping on grass. Luckily I was able to rock back and forth until I could hit the steep bit with enough speed to get over it.
This is a stall-speed issue.

Try these:
Tie the towbar to a tree. See if you can spin the tires and get any significant pull or spin the wheels on grass or gravel
Put a 4"x6" under the front wheel. See if you can get over it, or even get the wheels to spin
I enjoyed watching You Tube where 4X4 vehicles challenging the tough off-road, claiming the unpaved hill, rocky road, even crossing on white water river. Those cars are competing each other who is better in such tough condition. Definitely those cars are sacrificing comfortless, smooth riding and may options for easy driving.

Every car has its own design concept. The concept is not limited to one or two, The car possesses multiple concept, because it cannot be designed for the limited customer. So, the car manias modify his car to match his necessities. Also, the car manias looks for the car which has high possibility to be modified. I bought M4 for my son and he removed all interiors and door cover and speakers and A/C and Rear and Passenger seat and sunroof. And installed Roll bar and fire extinguisher.

I think you are not satisfied with Outlander PHEV when you drive it over the special situation where this car cannot overcome the obstacle as you wished. I am sorry for that.

I use my computer monitor for indirect experiences of Extreme High speed, by watching track completion, indirect experiences of challenging Surviving Driving from Leman 24, but I use my car for shipping, visiting Dr's office, transporting items I bought from flee market or Facebook market. Actually I don't listen to the music in the car. It's been a long time since I turned off the radio. I love to hear the sound of others. Maybe it is after I drove the 1999 Porsche Boxster. I used to change my cars every 2-3 years, but I was driving Boxster 7 years until totaled.

Outlander PHEV is good for my needs. It is not so expensive as Toyota Highlander, Lexus RX Hybrid, Ford F150, and also looks more luxuries than Honda CR-V, Kia Sorento, and Nissan Rogue. This car looks more in the middle of every similar cars. I bought 2022 model year as used car a month ago and the price was dramatically cheap. The price was the main reason to buy this, whether some performance is not quite good, some options are missing, not so luxury, not high fuel efficiency, not so much reliable car than Toyota, etc. So whenever I miss some convenient options, or feel lack of modern technology, or having trouble in the sensors, I think optimistically by recall the money I paid for it.

Back