PHEV for Australian camping, light offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2015 Outlander has very limited stall torque compared to traditional off road vehicles like a Mazda Demio.
I had an unpleasant moment where I went around a gate through a steep grassy dip (in the middle of nowhere). The Outlander got to the bottom, and simply could not roll it's wheels up the the other side as it was too steep for the torque available The townie tires were not slipping on grass. Luckily I was able to rock back and forth until I could hit the steep bit with enough speed to get over it.
This is a stall-speed issue.

Try these:
Tie the towbar to a tree. See if you can spin the tires and get any significant pull or spin the wheels on grass or gravel
Put a 4"x6" under the front wheel. See if you can get over it, or even get the wheels to spin
Not sure "stall torque" is the right term for an EV drive but you are correct that the PHEV needs to be rolling to deal with obstacles. In the early years of this forum a user demonstrated that the Mitsu can't drive over a house brick on level ground from stationery if already in contact.

At the time I speculated that this is probably normal for all EV drives because of the lack of inertia in an electric motor as compared to an ICE when it starts but I don't recall any discussion to come to firm conclusion. Once rolling, I have seen video of our car being driven up a 45 degree ramp with no problem. 😎

Not sure "stall torque" is the right term for an EV drive but you are correct that the PHEV needs to be rolling to deal with obstacles. In the early years of this forum a user demonstrated that the Mitsu can't drive over a house brick on level ground from stationery if already in contact.

At the time I speculated that this is probably normal for all EV drives because of the lack of inertia in an electric motor as compared to an ICE when it starts but I don't recall any discussion to come to firm conclusion. Once rolling, I have seen video of our car being driven up a 45 degree ramp with no problem. 😎
I have no actual experience of Off-Road Driving. Thus, I am not qualified to join this issue.

But when I owned All Wheel Drive and 4x4 with manual engagement shift, I tried to understand what is AWD and what is 4x4.

In Petrol Engine era, the difference between 2 different system is distinguished by engagement of wheel control. AWD system once noticed the spin of tire, it lowers the torque for free spinning wheel torque and send it to the other Axel or opposite side of the wheel. 4x4 system does the similar job by automatic or manual transition of the torque through mechanical structure.

As a result, AWD is more efficient on slippery road, Iced road or on the grass. AWD is not designed for rocky mountain road. But 4x4 is more powerful torque to required Axel. It is good to overcome rocky road.

There is a different Characters of Torque between Internal Combustion Engine(ICE) and Electric Motor(EM). EM's torque shows similar torque in a whole RPM range, on the contrary, ICE shows different torque according to the RPM. very low torque in low RPM, Very in High RPM. Therefore, in a certain RPM range, ICE has way over torque than EM.

This theory applied to AWD. When the vehicle has obstacle on one wheel to overcome, AWD does the excellent job to distribute proper torque to each wheel or each axel, but when they use EM for the power, maximum torque is significantly lower than ICE. When revving EM, the spinning speed becomes fast but it does not increase the torque when tire touches the block. When revving the ICE, the torque increases and when tire touches the block, high torque lift up the vehicle.

Left picture is ICE RPM VS Torque. Right picture is EM RPM VS Torque.
1724862726312.jpeg1724862762618.png

If you want to enjoyed the Rock climbing or mud escaping, Mitsubishi is not a good choice. But when we drive snow Icey road or when we are in the thin mud or grassy dirt road, Mitsubishi S-AWD is excellent.

Back