Front fog lamps/ daytime running lamp

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been wondering if something like these might work (assuming they can be sandwiched between the OEM unit and the ugly silver cowl. Just disconnect the DRL and wire into these instead?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-LED-COB-Ring-Angel-Eye-BMW-Style-Halo-Head-Light-Bulbs-Super-bright-Car-SMD-/331006592600?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&var=&hash=item4d1187c658

eBay item number:281487768819
this is from the same ebayer and has both DRL and Fog LEDs - but its difficult to assess the real quality and there are only 3 listed available...

Sharky said:
They look nice and will most certainly fit, but unfortunately only have one bulb in them. So you either run them as Fogs or DRL's

Oops, I completely missed that - wrongly assumed there were two different lenses :oops:

RazMan said:
Sharky said:
They look nice and will most certainly fit, but unfortunately only have one bulb in them. So you either run them as Fogs or DRL's

Oops, I completely missed that - wrongly assumed there were two different lenses :oops:

Does it matter? DRLs are just front lights on during the day - surely they could be side, head or even fog lights. They don't have to be dedicated ones, just on all the time :idea:

greendwarf said:
RazMan said:
Sharky said:

Does it matter? DRLs are just front lights on during the day - surely they could be side, head or even fog lights. They don't have to be dedicated ones, just on all the time :idea:

They have really different parameters. Try turning your fog lights on at night (or ideally in fog) and you'll notice the light arc is thrown down and sideways far more than the drl or other lights. I'd urge caution doing away with your fog lights, they've really saved my bacon in the past. Normal headlights reflect back a wall of white in fog; fog lights are so much better.

I have wondered about this myself but on balance I think that beam pattern and intensity would come into it too. If you take a look at the DRLs commonly in use on modern cars they are very, very bright during the day (compared to headlights for example) which is why they must be automatically turned off when darkness falls or they would dazzle. You can always tell the drivers who have 'hacked' their cars to look 'cool' and drive around with all lights blazing away :roll:

Having said that, I am thinking of modifying a LHD reversing light to act as a second reversing light as well as a foglight - I need to reverse up a VERY dark drive every night and need as much night vision as I can get.

Good news! I have discovered a really quick and easy way to make the DRL fitment a whole lot easier.

Like most people, I started by modifying the replacement 'bulbs' to make them fit the light housing. This was a fairly tricky process and often results in damage to the bulbs while grinding off material around the boss area to make the diameter smaller. This can also compromise the O ring seal and allow water to get into the light, causing condensation. Closer examination of the light unit shows that the problem is not really the bulb dimensions, but the reflector aperture behind the boss. It then occurred to me that simply reaming out the reflector housing might do the trick. Digging around in my drill box I found a 'stepped' drill (which happened to be imperial) and the largest diameter was 3/4" (about 19mm) Most of the LED replacements seem to be around 18mm diameter so that would allow plenty of clearance - no modification to the bulb is required. Only the reflector is modified, the light unit is undamaged and the job looks like OEM - you cannot see any signs of the mod from the outside.

IMG_0530_zps3fac3bf4.jpg

Carefully inserting the stepped drill at the right angle, it passes through the mounting boss and only reams out the reflector
IMG_0536_zps823d0605.jpg

10 seconds later (after blowing out the swarf with an airline) I was finished - now I can fit just about any LED bulb I fancy. I went for a super-bright CREE which slotted straight in and works a treat.
cdc42d13-9b6a-44b2-abf4-aea4b625979a_zpsae7553ed.jpg

Brilliant! ...... literally! No more yellow halogens and less power consumption too.

If you mean my sidelights, I used these REFLECTOR 15W CREE LED units - a little pricey but they are superb, directing much of the light back into the reflector, creating a more diffused light with less glare
_57_zps3bd1193a.jpg

These are my new DRLs
_571_zpsb2b1a5b8.jpg

My main beams are Osram Night Breakers Unlimited which are almost as white as the factory HIDs and an essential upgrade in my opinion

The only 'conventional' bulbs left are the fog lights, but I might keep these as standard because the LED replacements are not really bright enough to be safe.

Got the Nightbreakers coming with Santa wondered about these for dipped beam as no HID for me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H7-SUPER-WHITE-CREE-HIGH-POWERED-499-LED-SMD-20W-PROJECTOR-BULBS-LAMP-LIGHT-/131231605267?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e8e036213

Fitted 501 LEDs as sidelights, and ordered P13ws (Didn't realise that they came from China, probably delivered in time for next Xmas) Got chrome foglight covers coming also, so will look at Fogs and LED DRLs when I fit those.

Cheers

Chris

(PS you could probably start a business adapting DRLs as alternative is about £250.00)

To replace P13w bulbs without drilling or reaming. Remove outer cover by inserting a screwdriver against a cloth, between the foglamp glass and plastic cover. Gently prise the cover away.

Remove three screws and unclip the two connection.

Remove the standard bulb and replace with the LED, this will not push into the hole completely.

Use Glasticon putty (Dum Dum) - not you the putty, and seal the bulb into the housing.

You can replace the standard grey (why) covers with chrome ones.

These fit on top of the originals and are held in place by one chance only 3m tape.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISHI-OUTLANDER-2012-on-CHROME-FRONT-FOG-LIGHT-SURROUNDS-COVERS-TRIMS-UK-/131323659353?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AOutlander&hash=item1e93800459#ht_4587wt_1192

End result looks great and costs pennies.

Cheers

Chris

I spent an hour or so today, reaming out the DRL fitting to accept LED bulbs.

Switched them on, and they looked good. For 2 minutes!! Then one stopped working. The bulb had burnt out, and smelt awful. I refitted the originals, and they worked fine. Wouldn't trust fitting the same again, so I would avoid ordering them from Ebay if I were you: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400818926133? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Of you guys & girls who fitted LED's, how may are still working ok? Please can you give me recommendations of what you used.

Thanks

Mike

As most of these things seem to be made in China it is probably just down to bad quality control and a duff bulb Mike.
Even the UK stockists cannot offer anything better but you will just get them quicker for a higher price.
Mine (bought on Ebay) are still going strong and I am really pleased with them.
It is worth noting that only the CREE bulbs are reliable enough and the older SMD versions are very prone to failure due to the way they are made - the CREEs are generally higher quality and more 'sealed', therefore moisture resistant to a degree.

MHS said:
Of you guys & girls who fitted LED's, how may are still working ok? Please can you give me recommendations of what you used.

I fitted these for the DRLs: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251647277786?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and these for the sidelights: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131166977628?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Both fine after 2 months, car used daily.

Just followed razman and regulo's advice using the non cree bulbs I ordered off eBay for about £3 each. Managed to keep the O ring in place after carefully trimming the base. Didnt want to reem out the housing as it is a lease vehicle. They look good. Will see how long they last as I see others have found early failure in the bulb. If they fail will look at cree but they look too large down the full length. Have had the car 3 weeks and love it.?

RazMan said:
Good news! I have discovered a really quick and easy way to make the DRL fitment a whole lot easier.

Like most people, I started by modifying the replacement 'bulbs' to make them fit the light housing. This was a fairly tricky process and often results in damage to the bulbs while grinding off material around the boss area to make the diameter smaller. This can also compromise the O ring seal and allow water to get into the light, causing condensation. Closer examination of the light unit shows that the problem is not really the bulb dimensions, but the reflector aperture behind the boss. It then occurred to me that simply reaming out the reflector housing might do the trick. Digging around in my drill box I found a 'stepped' drill (which happened to be imperial) and the largest diameter was 3/4" (about 19mm) Most of the LED replacements seem to be around 18mm diameter so that would allow plenty of clearance - no modification to the bulb is required. Only the reflector is modified, the light unit is undamaged and the job looks like OEM - you cannot see any signs of the mod from the outside.

IMG_0530_zps3fac3bf4.jpg

Carefully inserting the stepped drill at the right angle, it passes through the mounting boss and only reams out the reflector
IMG_0536_zps823d0605.jpg

10 seconds later (after blowing out the swarf with an airline) I was finished - now I can fit just about any LED bulb I fancy. I went for a super-bright CREE which slotted straight in and works a treat.
cdc42d13-9b6a-44b2-abf4-aea4b625979a_zpsae7553ed.jpg

Brilliant! ...... literally! No more yellow halogens and less power consumption too.

I just wanted to add my thanks. Today I got round to sorting my sad old stock DRL's. I took your approach but just used a milling bit in a fast drill to remove some of the reflector. My Led's fit without bulb modification and the standard bulbs can also be refitted and no one would know of the mod (its a lease car)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-Super-Bright-Xenon-White-Xenon-White-50W-P13W-High-Power-CREE-LED-Bulbs-For/32270852441.html

I used good quality CREE bulbs similar to yours and the result is amazingly better, really bright. Car looks instantly more 'expensive' (they are so bright I need to check in daylight they don't dazzle in peoples rear view mirror in which case I might soften slightly by sandpaper frosting the bulb glass)

Thanks for doing the early work and posting for others to gain.

The Fog lights on my PHEV, I have replaced as well. I use the fog light switch to control the operation of the Pencil Beam spot lights that are activated, interlocked with the normal halogen high beam. Generally don't use fog lights in conjunction with the night time driving lights. The Factory Fog light bulbs are H11 55W types. I replaced with yellow LED H11 types with no mods. DRL are built into my "Lightforce Venom" spot lights, and these are activated by the Fog light switch on the steering column stalk.

At the moment the parking lights, incandescent pea bulbs can stay. Next option is to replace the relatively ineffective halogen HB3 high beam bulbs with lower wattage types. Have tried LED replacements, and NotRealGood. [NRG] Not keen to have HID directly connected to stalk switch, as am sure the life will be affected by the on/off switching and the ability of the car ccts to directly supply HID startup power.

H4 lamp is a better HID system with the relay controlled bulb mirror, but is not easily adapted to the PHEV housings.

Cityblueboy said:
Having had a mooch around, found this interesting video. It's in Dutch but you can get the gist of it.
http://youtu.be/TsXHUNTuDpI

Not sure how much they are though, it may be cheaper to order the Mitsy ones.

Hey guys. I watched this video and at 3.18m I see she is plugging in two cables. The first one must be for the DRL and the other which looks like an H8 or H11 connector, is for the fog lights. After pulling out one of the fog lights on my Outlander, I found it only has one cable which is for the fog light. I traced this cable (from both sides) back up and found it connects to a black connector within easy enough access under the plastic shield which sits over the radiator. Next to that connector is another, which seems to be for the missing wiring loom for the DRL or the second cable in which the lovely Dutch lady first plugs into at 3.18m of here video. I've tried the last couple of hours to track this cable or wiring loom/harness down, but with no luck. I'd rather use this original cable so I can wire up some aftermarket foggies/DRLs i have purchased. I've taken a photo so you can see what I am talking about (once i know how to upload a photo). If anyone has any idea where I can purchase this OEM cable from, I'd appreciate it. Cheers.

Back