Engine doesn't start at all run on EV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H8K.

Hi there, Is anyone familiar with issue?
I bought a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 2014 from online auction, mileage "101630" when the vehicle came that run only on EV whenever I pressed the button for engine that never start although it makes wired noise and when I checked engine oil, it wasn't sufficient almost near 1 litre and thick. I did top up but nothing changed. I attaching a engine sound video for understanding and good advice.

Attachments

• 1000132568.mp4
    24.7 MB
I've never heard a sound like that from my vehicle.

Probably the first thing you should check is every fuse, and every relay, to make sure that someone has not disabled the engine deliberately.

The thickness, and lack of, oil, suggests that a previous owner skipped the routine servicing.

Sometimes, cars are sold at auction, because a dealer has been unable to repair them, or because they are assessed as 'beyond economical repair'.

You could try and contact Mitsubishi, and ask them to request the vehicle's service history from their dealer network. (I have no idea if they will do this, but it is worth a try).

Similarly, you could contact a local dealer and make the same request.

At 100,000 miles, with apparently poor servicing, it is possible that the car needs a new engine.

If the oil's been allowed to get that low and is thick, then the chain is likely to be in bad shape and the main bearings etc. Could be a thicker oil has been used to 'hide' excess mechanical noise and piston ring/bore wear so the car could be sold/PX'd and now it's in real troubles.

Were there any guarantees at the auction sale? Some allow the car to be returned, tho there's a time limit usually. Worth finding out so you can get it off your hands.

Listening to the sound; in a normal ICE I would say it is the starter motor. If if it was a standard (manual) model you would put it into 2nd gear and rock the car backward and forward, BUT this is not an ICE and it is AUTO but you have got nothing to loose by putting the car in D , release the brake, and rock it to and fro and see what happens?
Doesn't work!. As the others suggest take it to a Mitsubishi agent.

Listening to the sound; in a normal ICE I would say it is the starter motor. If if it was a standard (manual) model you would put it into 2nd gear and rock the car backward and forward, BUT this is not an ICE and it is AUTO but you have got nothing to loose by putting the car in D , release the brake, and rock it to and fro and see what happens?
Doesn't work!. As the others suggest take it to a Mitsubishi agent.
Doubt that'd work since the clutch won't be engaged until the car is travelling at sufficient speed to connect the ICE to the front wheels. So at rest the ICE will only be engaged with the generator which is used to start it when needed.

Doubt that'd work since the clutch won't be engaged until the car is travelling at sufficient speed to connect the ICE to the front wheels. So at rest the ICE will only be engaged with the generator which is used to start it when needed.
This was just a thought but you are correct. solution ; take to MB workshop.

I was thinking more that it was the engine failing to start, and the starter is intended to run only for a few seconds. In normal use the engine starts very easily.l

I have a 2014 PHEV, and there is no 'starter' as far as I can tell.

My instinct is that it starts with a combination of changed ignition timing to make one cylinder fire and a slight push from the generator.

My experience is that the engine starts before I have finished pushing the charge button down, it is practically instantaneous.

There is a single muffled sound, that sounds like slack being taken out of gears, so the startup sounds like: clunkVrooom.

Not sure about the timing adjustment, but I now believe there is no actual starter. But the generator is driven as a motor to spin the engine. I would expect this is applied for only a very short time. So it tries, stops, no engine, tries again etc...

Back