B5 default?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS2115

I find I'm driving everywhere in B5.
Is there any way to make this the default when starting up and driving away?

It is mildly frustrating. You have to develop a 'pre-flight' routine - in my case: Eco mode on; select B5; engine noise off; cruise control on. It only takes a second, since I've done it so often, but it should really be possible to 'save' the settings. (Perhaps it is possible on newer models?)

ThudnBlundr said:
Short answer - no
Long answer - you would need to rewrite the software to do this, so no

I've been long time involved in BMW's.
For those (and Mercedes I believe) there are software hacks and bypasses and in-depth settings throughout the internet. There are CAN devices for continual monitoring of engine parameters etc without having to use the OBD plug, but there are a few phone apps for Bluetooth OBD plugs as well.
ie: quite a developed BMW culture to modify, personalise, fix software and electronic modules and make the car your own.

It surprises me that a similar culture hasn't sprung up around the longest/best known PHEV vehicle as the Outlander. Especially as there seems to be so many complaints of the poor software and/or its execution.

It is mildly frustrating. You have to develop a 'pre-flight' routine - in my case: Eco mode on; select B5; engine noise off; cruise control on. It only takes a second, since I've done it so often, but it should really be possible to 'save' the settings. (Perhaps it is possible on newer models?)
What is “engine noise off”?? I have a 2019 UK model and have no idea what that is….

There's a simulated 'engine noise' when you drive below ~35 mph (to alert other road users, particularly pedestrians to your presence). This can be turned off (on my 2016 model) with a dashboard button.

I've been long time involved in BMW's.
For those (and Mercedes I believe) there are software hacks and bypasses and in-depth settings throughout the internet. There are CAN devices for continual monitoring of engine parameters etc without having to use the OBD plug, but there are a few phone apps for Bluetooth OBD plugs as well.
ie: quite a developed BMW culture to modify, personalise, fix software and electronic modules and make the car your own.

It surprises me that a similar culture hasn't sprung up around the longest/best known PHEV vehicle as the Outlander. Especially as there seems to be so many complaints of the poor software and/or its execution.
All these hacks and bypass...that is what got VW and others in flaming trouble....With the emissions scandal. Many of the German and other car makers have lost billions. As they say in Yorkshire, "Penny wise, pound folish". Also initially in 2014-2015, this facility to connect and control the car [eg heating] via your phone lead to many PHEV being nicked. Suppose they have made it more secure now, as it is nine years down the line, or has it not?

All these hacks and bypass...that is what got VW and others in flaming trouble....With the emissions scandal. Many of the German and other car makers have lost billions. As they say in Yorkshire, "Penny wise, pound folish". Also initially in 2014-2015, this facility to connect and control the car [eg heating] via your phone lead to many PHEV being nicked. Suppose they have made it more secure now, as it is nine years down the line, or has it not?
First of all, it was not customer modification that "lost" many car makers millions - it was their own calibration cheats to lower emissions only during the drive cycle and not in the real world that cost them millions in fines, retesting, modification etc.

Secondly, the App vulnerability leads to the car being easy to unlock, but not to drive away in. Where are you getting your statistics for "many being nicked"? They have only made it more secure by having a longer password which just takes longer to hack. Nothing more.

What is “engine noise off”?? I have a 2019 UK model and have no idea what that is….
I have a 2019 Canada model and don't get any of those options. I would especially like to turn off the engine noise but I don't get that as an option anywhere. I think the only way for me to do that is to get up behind the fog light and unplug the speaker thats broadcasting the sound.

Back