2023 PHEV Tire Issue

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
Has anyone had to replace the original tires on their 2023 PHEV? We had a flat tire today and it turns out there is a flap in the sidewall that is leaking air. The rims are a bit scraped up, but there are only 25k miles on it, so it seems like the sidewalls might have lasted longer. I've never had this issue with other vehicles that I've owned.

I was about to use the tire slime and the mini compressor to see if I could get it inflated, but I decided to use my compressor to see if I could see the leak first. I'm glad I did because I don't think the slime would have patched the hole, and didn't want to waste it. I don't think that tire places appreciate the slime either, because it makes their job a lot messier.

I’m taking it in to our the local tire place tomorrow to get all 4 replaced (since that seems to be the only thing they do with AWD).
I believe the replacement will be all weather Continentals (50k mile warranty ), but I’m not sure the model. The quote was for just over $1000 USD.

Does anyone think it’s a good idea to keep one (or more) of the other three tires? I was thinking that I could mount one on a spare rim which could be used as a backup in case something like this happens again.
Thanks for any advice,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Mine is a bit older, but I had to replace the tyres at a similar mileage because the outer edges of the tyres were badly scrubbed, with deeper tread showing in the centres.

The place that sold me the new tyres (Beaurepairs) stated that the wear pattern indicated that the tyres had been under-inflated.

They put my car on the scales and recommended that I fill the tyres to 41 psi, rather than the 38 psi as specified in the user guide.

Because I'm rarely at a petrol station, I bought a compressor for home, and can report that the car is much nicer to drive at the slightly higher pressure. (The steering is lighter, and the car feels more responsive and agile.)

I'd suggest you seek advice from your tyre place and see if it is the same.

Andy

I had to replace two front tyres some miles after the trackrod ends were replaced and the toe-in was set neg instead of pos (or vice-versa).
No ABS or Traction Control complaints.
Have you been routinely swapping the wheels back to front to back as advised in the Owner's Manual ?

I had to replace two front tyres some miles after the trackrod ends were replaced and the toe-in was set neg instead of pos (or vice-versa).
Have you been routinely swapping the wheels back to front to back as advised in the Owner's Manual ?
I believe that the tires were rotated the two times the oil was changed.

Can't see the point -, just makes the pain harder to bear paying for all 4 at once rather than 2 at a time! 😎

uneven threads mean you need wheel alignment. Phev usually don't last long due to weight of the batteries. My first set of tires lasted 20 to 25k miles and I switched to Bridgestone which lasted longer.

Last edited:
Yep, same thing, uneven wear with scalloped edges. The dealer was running our car, (it was a demo) at 28 psi! I assume because of the roads in Adelaide combined with the bilstein suspension. Anyway going to replace all 5 (we carry a spare) with Continental Cross LX Sport 235/60 R18, I'm going up a bit to give us a bit more clearance and correct the speedo.

Hi Jon,

Mine is a bit older, but I had to replace the tyres at a similar mileage because the outer edges of the tyres were badly scrubbed, with deeper tread showing in the centres.

The place that sold me the new tyres (Beaurepairs) stated that the wear pattern indicated that the tyres had been under-inflated.

They put my car on the scales and recommended that I fill the tyres to 41 psi, rather than the 38 psi as specified in the user guide.

Because I'm rarely at a petrol station, I bought a compressor for home, and can report that the car is much nicer to drive at the slightly higher pressure. (The steering is lighter, and the car feels more responsive and agile.)

I'd suggest you seek advice from your tyre place and see if it is the same.

Andy
I had the same advice from Bob Jane Tyres, manufacture's recommended tyre pressures are for comfortable softer ride but will increase tyre wear on the outer edges.

Back