2013 model outlander phev

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faridkhanuit

Hi can any one advise if it’s good idea to buy 2013 outlander with 88k kms and 78% battery health and 31.2 Ah remaining ..odometer shows 22 kms on battery…UPTO what extent it shall or should not buy

Hi can any one advise if it’s good idea to buy 2013 outlander with 88k kms and 78% battery health and 31.2 Ah remaining ..odometer shows 22 kms on battery…UPTO what extent it shall or should not buy
It is the matter of price. Lots of other people runs the similar car and there are no significant problems with battery but there is nothing to be guaranteed. Regular Mitsubishi SUV generally lasts longer than American cars, but when it comes to PHEV, the story is quite different. There are so many electric and electronic parts inside, and we actually do not know of those electric components health. Actually, it is same condition to the new PHEV. So, if you can buy this less than $4,000-$5,000 then you will be satisfied with car even minor problem found later. It is risky to buy uncertain old PHEV car.

Before you buy the car, think about seriously what is the main usages of this car. If you want to save money by buying used car, don't buy this complicated and troublesome car of sophisticated groups of sensors installed car. If you want show up with big nice looking car, you must pay money to run with this car. If you believe this car could save the gas to run, you should think what kind of journey is your driving. If you drive more than double of EV distance daily, Outlander PHEV is not much saving gas. Sometimes the ICE car has better gas mileage if the car has light weight. Outlander is the most HEAVY car among its segment. It is not easy to find garage to repair Mitsubishi PHEV. That means, once you have any kind of trouble, you are in the middle of nowhere. You might wait 6 months for just waiting for the simple parts from Japan. There are many garages with parts for other manufacturer Hybrid and PHEV, for instance.

We have lots of choices out there. But you should be reasonable when buying used car and owning a car for long time without any hassles.

I have 2022 45,000 miles for $15,900. It was the steal price. I did not have much knowledge on Mitsubishi but I regret my decision on this car, after a month. This car does not provide mental comfort, worrying about reliability. Service Center is 90 km away from my place and not so many DIY sources in media. Most of the people complains about Mitsubishi Service, because there is no garage to handle this car. It is my personal experience. You will find do this not do that things if you buy this car.

It is the matter of price. Lots of other people runs the similar car and there are no significant problems with battery but there is nothing to be guaranteed. Regular Mitsubishi SUV generally lasts longer than American cars, but when it comes to PHEV, the story is quite different. There are so many electric and electronic parts inside, and we actually do not know of those electric components health. Actually, it is same condition to the new PHEV. So, if you can buy this less than $4,000-$5,000 then you will be satisfied with car even minor problem found later. It is risky to buy uncertain old PHEV car.

Before you buy the car, think about seriously what is the main usages of this car. If you want to save money by buying used car, don't buy this complicated and troublesome car of sophisticated groups of sensors installed car. If you want show up with big nice looking car, you must pay money to run with this car. If you believe this car could save the gas to run, you should think what kind of journey is your driving. If you drive more than double of EV distance daily, Outlander PHEV is not much saving gas. Sometimes the ICE car has better gas mileage if the car has light weight. Outlander is the most HEAVY car among its segment. It is not easy to find garage to repair Mitsubishi PHEV. That means, once you have any kind of trouble, you are in the middle of nowhere. You might wait 6 months for just waiting for the simple parts from Japan. There are many garages with parts for other manufacturer Hybrid and PHEV, for instance.

We have lots of choices out there. But you should be reasonable when buying used car and owning a car for long time without any hassles.

I have 2022 45,000 miles for $15,900. It was the steal price. I did not have much knowledge on Mitsubishi but I regret my decision on this car, after a month. This car does not provide mental comfort, worrying about reliability. Service Center is 90 km away from my place and not so many DIY sources in media. Most of the people complains about Mitsubishi Service, because there is no garage to handle this car. It is my personal experience. You will find do this not do that things if you buy this car.
First of all thank you so much for your detailed reply…I would like to highlight some key points…
1. I am buying it for 7000 usd roughly
2. I requested dealer to diagnose battery health and it was done by Mitsubishi team, data I said is from diagnose report
3. Dealer warranty is 12 months basically on major failure
3.although not bought but advance has been
4. I decided this car for its look and mileage
5. Sometimes I need to travel 800kms in 2 days…so the mileage is one point

Thanks

My understanding is that batteries 'wear' down to about 80% fairly quickly, but after that, degradation is relatively slow.

Being a hybrid, you get most of the advantages, even if the drive battery only holds a small charge.

The original Prius only had a 1.8 kWh battery when it was first released, even at 80% you're looking at roughly four times that amount.

My understanding is that batteries 'wear' down to about 80% fairly quickly, but after that, degradation is relatively slow.

Being a hybrid, you get most of the advantages, even if the drive battery only holds a small charge.

The original Prius only had a 1.8 kWh battery when it was first released, even at 80% you're looking at roughly four times that amount.
Understood…that is good information…thank you

The trouble with hybrids like the PHEV and Prius (and I have owned both) is that the engine start is via the high voltage traction battery. A single cell failure will leave your petrol engine useless and there is no option of jump starting it.

Martin

First of all thank you so much for your detailed reply…I would like to highlight some key points…
1. I am buying it for 7000 usd roughly
2. I requested dealer to diagnose battery health and it was done by Mitsubishi team, data I said is from diagnose report
3. Dealer warranty is 12 months basically on major failure
3.although not bought but advance has been
4. I decided this car for its look and mileage
5. Sometimes I need to travel 800kms in 2 days…so the mileage is one point

Thanks
I am sorry to make you confused by my personal opinion. I wanted to be a one opinion among lots of Outlander owners. So, please do not take it heavy. Consider it as coffee time meaningless chat.

Buying an old used car is very difficult job unless you are so optimistic. Whatever you tried your best, the result is not guaranteed. Most of the time, the car runs without any problem and as time goes by, you will love the car as it is. However, it is natural for us to be careful before buy the car. What usual people worry is that if the car has unknown fatal failure. Unfortunately, you cannot avoid such failure only by being causious before you buy it, because it is hidden behynd.

Thus, you would like to hear of other's opinion, if there is any clue for making decision, whether it might have serious failure which will cost a lot of money. I am the one of negative on Mitsubish Outlander PHEV. I know Many of other PHEV owners love their cars with no issues at all for 10years.

The car's reliability is the data of posibility. When I search worst car not to buy list, Jeep wrangler and Chrysler Pacifica is a regular menu to be seen. But there are so many wrangler and pacifica to be loved by their owner, such as good price with no hassle for 10 years. The reason of those cars being in the list is the "Rather Higher Failure Rate", not "All Cars Failure".

My car history of 50 years, Most of them are used cars. I have 2 Sons and wife. For over 15 years I owned 4 cars at the same time under my name and I buy and sell them by myself every year. I did not experience any bad case either price wise and quality wise. However, if I have bad experience on a certain car, I resell it immideately and never buy same manufacturer cars. It is kind of emotional response, not by rational decision. By doing so, American car disappears from my garage. German and Japanese becomes my favorate.

The good thing on Japanese and German car is there are millions of garages to take care of my cars near me. It is important to me that in case of failure, how easily it can be fixed without steal the bank, not waiting for parts for 6 months. Lexus, Honda, Toyota, BMW(all failure are known to every garage, no hidden failure) are most happiest investment for my personal car history. (Boxster was the best for 6 years).

After I purcahsed Mistubishi Outlander PHEV(It happened without any deep research, unfortunately), I would like to resell it immediately. The reason I bought this car is cheap in the market considering 2022 model(all is under factory warranty), and its nice looking. I visited 90km away Service Center for strange noise and Touchscreen mulfaction. Noise is "Normal" and "Touch screen is out of warranty". It will take 6 months to repair because part is coming from Japan and cost is US$1,800. It hit my mind. After that, I joined Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV forum, and found this is not a regular JAPANESE cars. Nobody knows near me garage and rare DIY media for Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. This means that I have to visit MItsubishi Service Center whenever I have trouble. That is not my option.

Also I learned from search that we have to be professional on this car to run it without any trouble, like AndyInOz. His knowledge is almost pro. His post is very much valuable to know to maintain this car. but I am not in such level yet. This means I have to learn more about to know this car to prevent any failure caused by my ignorance. I have learned that this car is not for money saving car. This car is heavy(Most heavy car in its segament) and gas mileage is not so good. Even more cost than some ICE only car. It is useful only your journey is less than 50 miles round(my personal opinion).

Dealer warranty 12 months are no value in actuall life. It looks like major failure but dealers opinion is quite far from your opinion. If there is any kind of failure to be covered by Warranty, you should provide paper evidence that you maintened according to User Manual under certified service center. The failure should be proved by manufacturer's Production fault and not covered for disposable part. All batteries and most parts are disposable(I can't recall exact English word for this). They will do whatever to avoid warranty job. You know what this means eventually. According to my personal experience, Toyota dealership is more soft.

I had used Lexus Hybrid(CT200H) car about 5 years ago and I do not need any special knowledge above the oil and filter change. No issues at all, even to noise, leak, rattling, sturdyness, color fade, ride, you name it. And it uses same part as Prius. Every garage knows it. All happy time while I owned it. I owned another old Lexus and after a few years of use, I can sell it as over 90% of price which I bought. No Price Drop. I have learned that if you buy known reliable car with higher price is not wasting the money, you wiil get back more than you expect when you sell it. It worked on Boxster too.

I tried to resell this car as soon as i found this is not my taste, but I couldn't. Because it's trade in price is too low. And the riding and comfort is not luxury level at all. It looks like copy of the other Japanes car with lack of something. Some interiors looks very old style. Those who knows luxury will avoid this car. But I have to use this car at least 5 years as praying not to visit service center. It will not be happy time. It does not show any failure yet, but it is first experience not having conficence on my car after I research on website.

I rather propose to search the market and look for better reliable cars in the market, like Lexus, Toyota, Honda. Until 250k miles there is no worries. If your daily journey is longer that 50 miles in one full charge, it is better to choose Hybird car. PHEV is only good for gas when journey is less than 50 miles (90 km). Aiming 5k more price you will pay, and when you find it, negotiate the price by showing your price(Like $7k) if the car listed $12k). It sound crazy but that is the price what they got it from auxtion. You will never believe that if they sell this car at $7k, what they paid is 3k. You don't have to pay more than $4k for this car. They will or will not accept you counter offer but even though they accept your price, there are many way to cheat to cover their price in next stage. Sometimes they cheat by extend loan period from 72 to 84, while monthly payment is fixed just before sign the paper. I did this method and 50% of succes so far. Unbelievaly it worked.

Please keep in mind that it is only one person's opinion on this car. You have to listen to the all other positive opinion but not put too much weight to the opinions like "I had no problems" before you buy it. You have to dig in the negative opinion more seriously what kind of problems you MIGHT have in the future.

I have to keep searching a good point of this car to be fell in love in this car........Not easy so far.

Good luck to your next car.

Last edited:
... advise if it’s good idea to buy 2013 outlander with 88k kms and 78% battery
Like Andy, mine has done >180kkm with one trivial fault: the charge door spring won't stay put.

However the battery is now pretty knackered. Efficiency is worse than before, but remains pretty good for an SUV size vehicle.
You should ask yourself how long you expect to keep it and how many miles you will drive in that time.
PHEV's appear to be just hitting the mainstream, and buying this as a cheap interim for 2-4 years might see you with much more choice of PHEVs in a few years time.

If you are buying from a dealer, ask how much a replacement battery / cell replacement is and record the dealers answer . They will generally lie of course, but with a recording they can be screwed (in countries with working consumer protection laws)

The actual problem is that Mitsubishi (owning the battery manfr) block the supply of replacement cells. I know that my battery needs replacement, but it is uneconomic to do so at present, even though the cost of comparable cells is quite reasonable. However there are now off brand cells that are a usable size, so economic aftermarket battery pack rebuilds may be here soon.

The petrol engine of a PHEV will have run for much less than 50% of the time, so with a new battery, an old PHEV will still have a low mileage petrol engine in it, and should be good for a long time yet.

The trouble with hybrids like the PHEV and Prius (and I have owned both) is that the engine start is via the high voltage traction battery. A single cell failure will leave your petrol engine useless and there is no option of jump starting it.

Martin
Surely, Martin, that's a problem for EV's as well. 🤣 But more seriously, do we know this is true or does the BMU have the ability to by-pass a dead cell? Either way, after 10 years on this forum I don't remember it specifically coming up as an issue that should worry buyers. 😎

Back