What does a new owner need to know?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer

Hi,

I've just bought a Dynamic 2021 model and have never driven a PHEV before. What do I need to know please? That may sound like a daft question, but other than "plug it in", I'm not sure what else I need to do. Is there an Idiot's Guide please (noting I'm not the first to ask for this! :D )? And are there things I should get? People on here are talking about plugging dongles in to use EV apps - is this a good thing to do? Should I just leave it in Normal and stop worrying?

:(

I've had mine for about 9 years now...

The car is not particularly demanding.

Plug it in the night before you need a full charge.

Use the paddles (regenerative braking) to manage your speed when needed.
(Stop-go traffic, or on long downhill sections.)

There's no need to mess around with apps or dongles, the car manages itself.

Driving around in 'Normal' mode all the time is fine, but you can also use 'Charge' mode if you want to have battery power available at the end of your trip.

If you don't use any petrol in six months, the car will switch to a mode where the engine runs all the time (while turned on) to keep the fuel system, and the engine, in good shape. It will keep doing this, until you've added another 20 litres of fuel into the tank.

In the nine years I've had mine, I've only needed to add water to the washer bottle, air in the tyres, and petrol in the tank.

:)

After noticing that I was going to the local petrol station, purely to put air in the tyres, I decided to buy a compressor. This probably made more sense for me, because I also have bikes, a kayak trailer (plus a trolley for the kayak itself), and garden equipment with inflatable tyres.

I don't think I've seen any other forum member mentioning that they have done the same.

Hi,

I've just bought a Dynamic 2021 model and have never driven a PHEV before. What do I need to know please? That may sound like a daft question, but other than "plug it in", I'm not sure what else I need to do. Is there an Idiot's Guide please (noting I'm not the first to ask for this! :D )? And are there things I should get? People on here are talking about plugging dongles in to use EV apps - is this a good thing to do? Should I just leave it in Normal and stop worrying?

I also have a beginners question. If I'm coming to a stop or slowing on the highway using B5, do the brake light actually come on? I have no way to verify if they are on.

I also have a beginners question. If I'm coming to a stop or slowing on the highway using B5, do the brake light actually come on? I have no way to verify if they are on.
That varies by model year I believe.

On my car, no, on recent models, yes. Unfortunately I don't know when that was changed.

When it was discussed on the forum, members pointed out that the brake lights don't come on when other manual vehicles perform 'engine braking' and that the PHEV's behaviour was in line with that.

I've had mine for about 9 years now...

The car is not particularly demanding.

Plug it in the night before you need a full charge.

Use the paddles (regenerative braking) to manage your speed when needed.
(Stop-go traffic, or on long downhill sections.)

There's no need to mess around with apps or dongles, the car manages itself.

Driving around in 'Normal' mode all the time is fine, but you can also use 'Charge' mode if you want to have battery power available at the end of your trip.

If you don't use any petrol in six months, the car will switch to a mode where the engine runs all the time (while turned on) to keep the fuel system, and the engine, in good shape. It will keep doing this, until you've added another 20 litres of fuel into the tank.

In the nine years I've had mine, I've only needed to add water to the washer bottle, air in the tyres, and petrol in the tank.

:)

After noticing that I was going to the local petrol station, purely to put air in the tyres, I decided to buy a compressor. This probably made more sense for me, because I also have bikes, a kayak trailer (plus a trolley for the kayak itself), and garden equipment with inflatable tyres.

I don't think I've seen any other forum member mentioning that they have done the same.
Thank you - that's very reassuring! Forgive me but how do you manage the paddles? Do you just choose the appropriate strength of regeneration?

I have a compressor which runs off the 12v cigarette lighter, one of the best purchases I've made! Set the psi/bar and it stops automagically :)

Are you sure that they don't come on in the 2020? I had one and I'm sure they did. In the '23 when you have the screen with the pic of the car and battery the little red "balls" come on on the pic (just like real lights :) ) when the car's brake lights come on.

Hi,

Altgough I have not been driving as long as Andy, I also charge my car, mainly overnight at home.

When I owned a 2018 PHEV with 12kWh, I used the charging cable that came with the car and plugged into my 120VAC outdoor outlet.

Then in late 2021 I traded up to a 2020 Oulander with 13.8kWh. At this point I purchased 220 Charge Cable (online for $150 CND). In used the 240VAC baseboard heater feed conductors on my garage to connect to a 12/3 cord to power up a 20A - 3 twisted prong receptacle. This allowed me to charge the 2022 PHEV during the day if my charge was getting low.

Then in Apr of of this year I traded up to a 2024 PHEV with a 20kWh Battery. Now I use the 240VAC cable most of the time, when my charge level is less than 25% left. Fully charging a near empty Battery takes up 14 hrs to charge on 120vac and 6.5 hrs on 240VAC.

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada where in Winter time, we get temps as low as -40'C. For this reason we use Nitrogen in our tires, which tends to keep the tire pressure more constant.

As to driving habits: I do at least 95% of my driving in the city. I always set my car to ECO and Drive B-0 and use my pedals to slow down and am able to drive 95 to 100 kms per charge when I do not use my AC

This past spring, with cooler temps I was getting 85 to 90 kms with no heater on and 75 to 85 when Hesater was used. Not sure what I may get in the dead winter, yet, but will report this and hope to hell that I do get stranded when the Ambient temp are below -30'C si ce the 2023 and 2024 Models have no built in Batterh Heating. I had no issues at all with my previous 2018 and 2022 PHEVs

As Andy mentioned, I did get the message to add at least 20 lit of fuel to prevent the ICE to run all the time.
So I took a road trip to use up fuel because my tank had been full.

I personally never had this message with my 2018 or 2022 and suspect this may have been a recent software update (not 100%) certain on this, though).

There really is no learning curve per say to drive the PHEV but as Andy had suggested, with you do any driving in the highway, it is best to drive either in Save or Charge Mode so that you can have a full or near full battery to drive in the city with.

City driving is where the PHEV excels and is why when I drive in the city I drive in ECO Mode and in B-0.

Enjoy your PHEV, as many of us are.

Last edited:
Yes they do come on. They came on on my 2018 and 2022 and also on my 2024.

On the 2024 I can set the screen to show this.

On my 2018 and and 2020 I had attached a piece of reflective tape on the flat portion on the Rear Wiper arm, which lit up whenever the Brake Lights came on. Crude perhaps but simple and effective.

Thank you - that's very reassuring! Forgive me but how do you manage the paddles? Do you just choose the appropriate strength of regeneration?

I have a compressor which runs off the 12v cigarette lighter, one of the best purchases I've made! Set the psi/bar and it stops automagically :)
Hi there! :)

When I'm driving around in the suburbs, which is most of my driving, I usually set the regenerative braking to B5.

This means that I rarely use the brake pedal, unless I'm coming to a complete stop, most commonly at a traffic light.

(The fast way to get to B5 is to hold the paddle back for one second, and it flicks to the maximum value, otherwise, you can get there with three flicks of the paddle from D.)

In the country, I usually go back to D (AKA B2) (long pull on the other paddle) unless I'm descending a hill.

The side-effect of using regenerative braking all the time, is that I'm still on the original brake pads. (Much to the dismay of the dealer).

Re the portable compressor, have you had a look around in the box in the back of the vehicle?

Mine came with a 12V compressor and a bottle of tyre goop as part of the standard build.

I use my paddles all the time. When the car is fully charged you can go to B0 but NOT to B3-4-5. Going downhill I select which ever B mode slows the car to the appropriate speed. I live in a hilly location so this happens a lot. I use B0 when going up hill.

I use my paddles all the time. When the car is fully charged you can go to B0 but NOT to B3-4-5. Going downhill I select which ever B mode slows the car to the appropriate speed. I live in a hilly location so this happens a lot. I use B0 when going up hill.
You can go to whatever B you like, but with a full or cold battery it may not always produce the same level of regen.

Why bother going to B0 uphill? Weird behaviour.

All B does is remap the accelerator pedal position.

Like Andy, I just always whack it in B5 and do mostly 1 pedal driving. Why complicate matters when your right foot will just take care of everything?

The side-effect of using regenerative braking all the time, is that I'm still on the original brake pads. (Much to the dismay of the dealer).

Re the portable compressor, have you had a look around in the box in the back of the vehicle?

Mine came with a 12V compressor and a bottle of tyre goop as part of the standard build.

Thanks Andy for the paddle and regeneration tips. I do have a compressor and goop in the boot. Mine is more configurable so will probably leave the factory one in reserve. I do wish there was a spare tyre though!

Hello. I want to change the battery from 12 kwh to 20 or more. I want to know the purchase details and where I can find it and is this possible. I hope that someone with experience will share the details with me.

You can go to whatever B you like, but with a full or cold battery it may not always produce the same level of regen.

Like Andy, I just always whack it in B5 and do mostly 1 pedal driving. Why complicate matters when your right foot will just take care of everything?
Hi l/s

Can I ask you why you knock it in to B5. It doesn't seem to make sense to me surely when you accelerate you are accelerating against your B5 braking force ? I'm probably not getting something I'm new to Outlander Phew. I have to say tho I am finding it fascinating to use and adds an extra dimension to the boring drive!!
Ok thanks

Pete

PS: On the 2023 and 2024, if the Main Battery has more than 55% of charge, placing the vehicle in B-3 or higher will cause the ICE to turn on and at times, actually drive the wheels.

This was never the case with my previous 2018 nor the 2022.

Just a bit of information for users that may havd tge 2023 and 2024 models.

After 7 years of driving mine, I have worked out that the car is usually more clever than I am. I only use the paddles and set B5 when I am going down a long hill or have a long distance to a junction. In all other circumstances, leave the car in default and brake with light pressure when possible, as it will automatically and intelligently use the regeneration when you brake in this way. Apart from the 2 scenarios described when I use B5, you will find that playing with B paddles makes no real difference to battery range.

After 7 years of driving mine, I have worked out that the car is usually more clever than I am. I only use the paddles and set B5 when I am going down a long hill or have a long distance to a junction. In all other circumstances, leave the car in default and brake with light pressure when possible, as it will automatically and intelligently use the regeneration when you brake in this way. Apart from the 2 scenarios described when I use B5, you will find that playing with B paddles makes no real difference to battery range.
Yup, totally agree. On my '23 I use the innovative pedal on long hills (don't know if it makes any difference in economy, but it's easy on the foot) and SAVE on long trips so I have some juice for town driving. Other than that, just leave it in NORMAL.

Hi l/s

Can I ask you why you knock it in to B5. It doesn't seem to make sense to me surely when you accelerate you are accelerating against your B5 braking force ? I'm probably not getting something I'm new to Outlander Phew. I have to say tho I am finding it fascinating to use and adds an extra dimension to the boring drive!!
Ok thanks

Pete
Not quite.

Regenerative braking happens when you lift your foot off the accelerator.

It doesn't do anything while you are accelerating.

The 'B' levels, affect the maximum amount of regeneration applied when you lift your foot, and also how far 'up' the accelerator pedal has to be before regeneration starts to kick in.

'B5' gives you maximum control, using only the accelerator pedal.

Back