Waiting time for the Outlander PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev04

Hi everyone! Let us talk about how long it takes to receive your Outlander. Tell us where you live, when you ordered it, variant, and when you got it or when they told you it would be ready.

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada.

I was driving a 2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5L and loved the car but due a left Arthritic hip I was finding it more difficult to get in and out of the car so I decided on SUV.

I decided on a PHEV, but all we had available in 2016, was a Ford Lincoln, and a few others but were way over $80,000CND or only had 1 Electric Motor.

I started looking online and on YouTube when I came across the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV but it was not available in North America till 2017 or 2018. I found a Mitsubishi Dealer and put a down payment on one in July of 2016

I finally received a phone call on Feb 6, 2018 and picked up my 2018 PHEV GT on Feb 18, 2018. Took it on a Lease for 4 years

I loved it, but did have a learning curve. The 12kWh Battery was fine but wished that the Battery was bigger.

Once I learned that a 13.8 kWh Battery was available I went to see my Dealer.

Considered getting the 2021 PHEV but Leasing costs were more expensive so I backed off. Then in Sep 2022 I was contacted with an offer I could not refuse so on Sep 18, 2022 Traded in for a 2022 PHEV 13.8kWh GT for $50 per month less for my Lease

Then in 2023, the 20kWh Model came out but the leasing cost would have been double of what I as paying so I backed off, again.

Finally at the end of March 2024 our Provincial Government decided to give all new EV or PHEV purchasers a $4,000 Rebate.

So..... on April 8, 2024 I traded in my 2022 for a 2024 for a leasing cost of $20 less than what had been paying

This my friend, is my story so regarding wait times, I can categorically state that Jul 2016 to Feb 18, 2018 was the longest wait of my life untill I received my 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 12kWh GT.

Last edited:

I was driving a 2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5L and loved the car but due a left Arthritic hip I was finding it more difficult to get in and out of the car so I decided on SUV.

I decided on a PHEV, but all we had available in 2016, was a Ford Lincoln, and a few others but were way over $80,000CND or only had 1 Electric Motor.

I started looking online and on YouTube when I came across the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV but it was not available in North America till 2017 or 2018. I found a Mitsubishi Dealer and put a down payment on one in July of 2016

I finally received a phone call on Feb 6, 2918 and picked it up Feb 18, 2018. Took it on a Lease for 4 years

I loved it, but did have a learning curve. The 12kWh Battery was fine but wished that the Battery was bigger.

Considered getting the 2021 PHEV but Leasing costs were more expensive so I backed off. Then in Sep 2022 I was contacted with an offer I could not refuse so on Sep 18, 2022 Traded in for a 2022 PHEV 13.8kWh GT for $50 per month less for my Lease

Then in 2023, the 20kWh Model came out but the leasing cost would have been double of what I as paying so I backed off, again.

Finally at the end of March 2024 our Provincial Government decided to give all new EV or PHEV purchasers a $4,000.

So..... on April 8, 2024 I traded in my 2022 for a 2024 for a leasing cost of $20 less than what had been paying

This my friend, is my story so regarding wait times, I can categorically state that Jul 2016 to Feb 18, 2018 was the long wait of my life untill I received my Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 12kWh GT.
Wow, that is a checkered path to your 2024 Outlander, and the 2 year wait for the first one is, well, dedicated.
We will be moving house soon and I've said all along that he new digs will have a 2 car garage and now with this this cold weather start info, it's imperative.

And BTW, I also have an arthritic left hip (with a little bit in the left, as well).
Dave

Purchased a 2023 SEL Premium (top model in the US) in November '23 right off the lot in Renton, WA (Younker Mitsubishi). They had several PHEVs on the lot. No wait time, as opposed to the RAV 4 Prime (>1 year at the time, and price gouging by dealers).

Actually, it's a lease because of the EV rebate loophole for leased cars in the US. Negotiated the price down to $45,000 with some help by lowering my trade-in and thus got the WA state partial sales tax exemption, which at that time was available for vehicles at $45k max.

Lease is just 24 months and pre-paid and at the end I plan to buy it at the residual price.

I finally received a phone call on Feb 6, 2018 and picked up my 2018 PHEV GT on Feb 18, 2018. Took it on a Lease for 4 years

Finally at the end of March 2024 our Provincial Government decided to give all new EV or PHEV purchasers a $4,000.

This my friend, is my story so regarding wait times, I can categorically state that Jul 2016 to Feb 18, 2018 was the long wait of my life untill I received my 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 12kWh GT.
What a story! So, you are 100% qualified for the difference/improved between old and new. Is there any remarkable change under the tech point of view? I am just curious. You could be a real source to find the difference between each models. I have 2022 on August 2024. No plan to upgrade. I paid US$15,995 and no cars on similar price for newer model yet. I was keep changing Lexus and Toyota, for more than a decade and I don't remember when purchased and when sold. I discard all paper when I sell it. I almost recovered the purchasing price for those cars. Once I have enjoyed the sweetness of used car buy and sell, I used to buy used Lexus and Toyota. Not only for the used car reliable quality but also for the high resell value plus easy sell. It won't last weeks. Trade in value is high too.

This Mitsubishi purchasing happened in a hurry on the way to buy Lexus RX-450H. Mit price was almost half and newer year model. I prefer to get used Lexus rather than New Mitsubishi, if I can afford that much of a money (I am depending on a low Social Benefit monthly without any other incomes). Because newer car has significant devaluation in first 2 years. I am not sure of resell value of this car after 3-4 years.

I did not have correct concept of HEV and PHEV. Looks same to me when I buy this car. Those are modern tech vehicle and I have been familiar with ICE cars for several decades. I strongly believe that modern tech is worth to learn in living in modern society. It is so huge that I cannot be a master of every tech in every field, but I have to learn fundamental tech against what I am using now. It is based on my young days scientific non professional study (as a hobby to fulfill my curiosity). From Bore's Phantom theory, Newton's Law, Relativity theory, Electro-Magnetic wave, Discourse of Method, etc. from the wide range source of the books, like Boy's science magazine (1970's science magazine for teen's), Armature Science Forum in my mother country society. So it is easy to understand the work of Electric Motor and ICE engine efficiency and HEV theory and PHEV theory. They are all successful output of modern science. The most fantastic science is that Electro-Magnetic Wave Maneuvering tech. It says that Human Being became an existence of Light control capability in the Universe, like God. This learning came from Cell Phone Tech Curiosity.

I didn't realized there are so many different functions (good or bad) which has been delivered by bigger battery in HEV. After I got PHEV, I spend over hundreds of hours to learn about Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, what kind of tech applied and how it was applied, and how it works. Including the history of this car too. Also I am learning about battery tech industry, which will be useful if I buy EV car in the future. Knowing modern tech is very interesting for an old man. Learning how to use modern tech product properly will be the result of understanding the tech hidden behind. However, I don't mean that knowing the science behind has no relation to using skillful. Knowing the law will not make anyone a Judge, knowing how to drive will not make everyone being Schumacher. Not knowing Electro-Magnetic Wave theory, you still can use Cell Phone properly.

In these days, I posted what I've learned from the world (I mean Internet), since I found some people gets different knowledge than what I've learned. One of them is very straight to the difference of 2022 and newer model in technical base. I would like to learn from you the real difference between 2022 or older model and 2023 or newer model, in the aspect of the tech applied, if you don't mind. Any comments welcomed.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
In April 2023 I was driving a 2014 Subaru Forester with over 300k on it, so since wait times were a thing since COVID, I decided I had better start looking for a new car . I also felt I needed to start transitioning to electric, but with the limited infrastructure here in Nova Scotia, Canada and the fact that I do a lot of driving into remote areas, only a PHEV made sense. I looked at the RAV 4 first and was told the wait time could be up to 3 years. I also found it a bit small for all the goods we need to transport around. I looked at the Outlander, was impressed by the technology, but found it a bit pricey and fancy for my needs. Was told the wait time would be about a month. Put a down payment on a cheaper Kia Sportage and was told wait times were about 6-8 months. By June, I was starting to have a lot of problems with my Subarau and figured I wasn't going to be able to wait for the Kia, and maybe would have to forgo a PHEV. When the starter gave out and literally as the tow truck was loading my Subaru, the Mitsu dealer called out of the blue and said they had a delivery coming in and would I be interested in one of them. By 5:00 I had bought an SEL Outlander ( which is what I had secretly coveted). Becuse the Outlander was also tight, I had them take out the useless back seat, which allows us to pack another row of bins in - though the floor is uneven. Been very happy since, though more of a learning curve than most cars.

What a story! So, you are 100% qualified for the difference/improved between old and new. Is there any remarkable change under the tech point of view? I am just curious. You could be a real source to find the difference between each models. I have 2022 on August 2024. No plan to upgrade. I paid US$15,995 and no cars on similar price for newer model yet. I was keep changing Lexus and Toyota, for more than a decade and I don't remember when purchased and when sold. I discard all paper when I sell it. I almost recovered the purchasing price for those cars. Once I have enjoyed the sweetness of used car buy and sell, I used to buy used Lexus and Toyota. Not only for the used car reliable quality but also for the high resell value plus easy sell. It won't last weeks. Trade in value is high too.

This Mitsubishi purchasing happened in a hurry on the way to buy Lexus RX-450H. Mit price was almost half and newer year model. I prefer to get used Lexus rather than New Mitsubishi, if I can afford that much of a money (I am depending on a low Social Benefit monthly without any other incomes). Because newer car has significant devaluation in first 2 years. I am not sure of resell value of this car after 3-4 years.

I did not have correct concept of HEV and PHEV. Looks same to me when I buy this car. Those are modern tech vehicle and I have been familiar with ICE cars for several decades. I strongly believe that modern tech is worth to learn in living in modern society. It is so huge that I cannot be a master of every tech in every field, but I have to learn fundamental tech against what I am using now. It is based on my young days scientific non professional study (as a hobby to fulfill my curiosity). From Bore's Phantom theory, Newton's Law, Relativity theory, Electro-Magnetic wave, Discourse of Method, etc. from the wide range source of the books, like Boy's science magazine (1970's science magazine for teen's), Armature Science Forum in my mother country society. So it is easy to understand the work of Electric Motor and ICE engine efficiency and HEV theory and PHEV theory. They are all successful output of modern science. The most fantastic science is that Electro-Magnetic Wave Maneuvering tech. It says that Human Being became an existence of Light control capability in the Universe, like God. This learning came from Cell Phone Tech Curiosity.

I didn't realized there are so many different functions (good or bad) which has been delivered by bigger battery in HEV. After I got PHEV, I spend over hundreds of hours to learn about Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, what kind of tech applied and how it was applied, and how it works. Including the history of this car too. Also I am learning about battery tech industry, which will be useful if I buy EV car in the future. Knowing modern tech is very interesting for an old man. Learning how to use modern tech product properly will be the result of understanding the tech hidden behind. However, I don't mean that knowing the science behind has no relation to using skillful. Knowing the law will not make anyone a Judge, knowing how to drive will not make everyone being Schumacher. Not knowing Electro-Magnetic Wave theory, you still can use Cell Phone properly.

In these days, I posted what I've learned from the world (I mean Internet), since I found some people gets different knowledge than what I've learned. One of them is very straight to the difference of 2022 and newer model in technical base. I would like to learn from you the real difference between 2022 or older model and 2023 or newer model, in the aspect of the tech applied, if you don't mind. Any comments welcomed.

Good luck to you.
Sorry but my expertise is more on driving experience.

I did love my 2018 because I had more control on being able to Drive in EV Mode but because it only had a 12kWh Battery I was not getting much range in the Winter time. ReGen B0 to B5 worked very well without the ICE kicking in.

The 2022 reGen B0 to B5 worked the same way.

Both the 2018 and 2022 had a Main Battery Heater so I was never stranded even at Temps nearing -40'C. I could remote heat the interior and was able to leave either car unplugged, with a full charge for 30 days, parked outside while I vacationed in Mexico even though the temps dropped to below -30'C, I was always able to start the care when I returned. The Battefy level would be at 75% as it did, automatically use the Baytery Heater to keep Battery from getting too cold.

Only issue I found with the 2022 is tgat the ICE kicked in everytime I started in cold weather, it would shut off after 5 minutes or so and I had to be careful not to Crack up the Heat over 19'C untill the car started to warm up then I could increase to 23 or 23 without the ICE kicking in.

For similar Kms driven in the year I used 3x the amount of fuel as I did on the 2018 because I could not get tge 2022 to Remain in EV Mode without the ICE kicking in.

Then Switched to my current 2024 and in all ways I find it superior except for the lack Battery Heater or Resitive heating to take over when the Heat Pump is no longer able to operate when Temps reach lower than-15'C. This I believe is the worst thing tgat Mitsubishi could and I hope the the Law Suit against Misubishi is successful.

Back Features that 2024 models have tge thd 2022 and prior do not have.

1) Adaptive Bracking - 1 pedal driving
2) Heat Pump
3) Front Windshield Wiper parking heater
4) Heads up display
5) Rear Section Adjustible Heat/Cool
6) Auto Tail Gate motion opening.

Most of these are are great features but a few are not, such as

1) The Adaptive Braking I will never use because it causes the Braking to active the Brake Pads and find it very jerky to drive with. Not very efficient, so I do not use it at all

2) Regen B0 to B2 work the same as previous years but the B3 to B5 does not because the Battery Level is higher than 55% the ICE kicks in and remains running untill car is restarted

Supposedly it starts the engine then uses the starter motor to spin the engine to dissipate regen energy when the battery is full, but with all the tests I have done the Car does not slow down at all when Regen is placed in B3 to B5 and the ICE is Spinning.

I truely believe that is is a Software glitch because the 2022 or earlier models do not cause the ICE to start when there is no room in the Battery for the Regen to charge further. So the ICE starts needlessly and it is not just spinning because if I accelerate the ICE does Rev up.

Overall I love the 2024 now that I am using the correct sequence to Force Start in EV Mode only and I can use the heater without the ICE starting up.

But the real testing will be starting as soon as we get -15'C or lower temps.

I may start a new Thread on this topic when the time comes

Back