The myth of inefficent petrol motor charging on the PHEV.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FLYER34 said:
The Nissan Leaf has 3 separate steam gauges to monitor electric consumption :
- one for the motor ;
- one for heating/AC ;
- one for ancillaries.

With NO ventilation ; diriving lights ; wipers ; radio etc... the # 3 gauge indicates an average of 300 W.

The various PHEV systems probably drain the low voltage battery by a comparable amount.

By the way, on the PHEV, the low voltage battery seems to be permanently charged (voltage above 14 V at all times with power ON).

I would have expected that the low voltage battery would be on float charge while the car is powered up and the 12v load is effectively drawn from the traction battery.

maby said:
I would have expected that the low voltage battery would be on float charge while the car is powered up and the 12v load is effectively drawn from the traction battery.
That's exactly what I am saying : contrary to other EV (Leaf), where the "12 V" battery is charged "when necessary" by a battery charger fed from the HT battery, on the Mitsu the "12 V" battery seems to be on "float charge" at all times.

The 300 W (or more) ancillary consumption is drawn straight from the HT battery.

The power OFF and accessories mode have the AUX battery on my PHEV at 12.6-12.7V. As soon as the car is powered ON voltage rises to 14.6. Driving at night with lights, has voltage close to 13.8. AUX battery is supposed to be a Lithium ION type as well. Has this been confirmed by any forum members?

gwatpe said:
The power OFF and accessories mode have the AUX battery on my PHEV at 12.6-12.7V. As soon as the car is powered ON voltage rises to 14.6. Driving at night with lights, has voltage close to 13.8. AUX battery is supposed to be a Lithium ION type as well. Has this been confirmed by any forum members?

Is it really? I was under the impression that the aux battery is a small lead-acid unit - similar to that in a Prius.

gwatpe said:
AUX battery is supposed to be a Lithium ION type as well. Has this been confirmed by any forum members?
Just lift the boot floor and you wil find an ordinary lead/acid "12 V" battery.

There was an advertising that stated the AUX battery was Lithium as well.

Holding the voltage at 14.6 for a normal lead battery will lead to plate corrosion and a shorter service life.

Maybe we have been short changed again by MMC.

I read somewhere that the 12V battery (described in the instructions on jump start) is chareged from the main battery every day at 2pm. Another myth?

Back