Retrofit of 1500W AC inverter possible?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would assume it's just a 12V inverter connected closely to the Aux battery to keep the high current cable runs short. From what he's saying, it seems that the DC/DC converter from Drive battery to Aux battery is able to 'keep up' with the inverter power requirement, so as long as you have fuel and leave the vehicle in Ready mode, you have AC power.

Big deal, you can have a petrol powered generator to do the same, and if you're going to be using a lot more power than the drive battery had in it when you started, it's probably more efficient to use the small generator than it is the big car engine.
I used to use 2000w generator for power outage during hurricane long time ago. There was no other choice at that time since we do not have any EV in the market. After that hurricane, my next door installed Solar system for emergency power. Using generator is disaster in some ways. 2000w generator is capable to run small refrigerator only. When fridge compressor stops I unplugged the fridge and connect other heater in turn, and so on. I must use at least 6000w to run essential home appliances. it will cost over $1,000. And I have to wait in gas line a few hours to get 5 gal at most to run generator 6 hours only. I bought 4 of 5 gal Gas container and all my family stay in line to get enough for a day running at gas station. Only one gas station was available at that time because gas supply was not smooth as usually because of flood here and there blocked gas truck delivery.

After I get familiar with Hybrid car, I happened to look up Prius back up power videos here and there. I decided to buy Hybrid as next car.

In the mean time, I moved to Florida and here, not so many hurricane and flood as much as New York, New Jersey. But after watching Hurricane Debby, I keep thinking of emergency power backup again. Now I own Outland PHEV as I targeted. Unfortunately. my car is SEL model and lately found GT model has 120v AC 1500W port, which has been developed after 2011 Japan Earthquake. Mitsubishi helped to recover damage from Earthquake by supplying EV car and developed home power supply on PHEV for emergency. If I have learned this story before I buy SEL model, I definitely bought GT model instead of purchasing SEL.

Still I didn't carry the project of installing 120 v 2500w Inverter since I did not hear from Mitsubishi owners, not like many of Prius owners did it already. but I will not buy a generator for this purpose definitely.

Daniel77 encouraged me to get firm confidence of Installing Inverter to my car. But I do not install it inside the car. I will built it as separated Module type and keep in my storage and I will use this as emergency power back up only. Just heavy duty connector in the car and keep inverter in my storage. Not like a generator, I do not have to fill gas, oil, stabilizer, ETC or maintain components from rust. Generator is usually very noisy, especially during the night. All town is likely inside the Tank.

Thank Daniel77.

How many people lost power during Hurricane Debby?
  • In Taylor County, where Hurricane Debby made landfall at 7 a.m., more than 97% of utility customers lost power at one point. In several surrounding counties, that figure was well over 80%. At a news conference Monday morning, DeSantis said 17,000 linemen across the state were poised to begin restoring power once the storm passes.
Unquote from Yahoo news

Once you lost power, life becomes disaster, even a day or two, unlikely 100 years ago. We can not sleep at night in summer time and maybe freezing at night in the winter time.

If you're using 6kW, the PHEV battery is only going to last you just over 2 hours.
Hi, Thanks for your reply on my rough experience not based on scientific data. I guess your calculation came out from the traction battery capacity is 13.8kwh, and divided by 6kw will become 2 hours. You are very much correct in calculation.

In order to avoid misunderstanding my previous explanation, the point was that Daniel77 experience is extremely valuable to me now. Similar experiences exist a lot here and there by the inverter user, but those were not made by Outlander PHEV but Prius, Leaf, and other model and small RVs. However, electric device is not a simple electrons flow alone. Lots of other factors are involved. That is the reason why Daniel77 actual experience on Outlander PHEV has its own value.

Cost of $300(estimate for installing inverter) is not small money for poor retired old man but my bad memory on my younger day's of disaster keep me thinking about of emergency power.

The fact of 6Kw is not coming for calculation. It came from my neighbor when we lost power, who said to me when I complained about my small 2k Generator was not successful. He said that we have to get at least 6kw generator in such case for the house. I did not mean I use 6 kw for the house. According to my memory, generator actual capacity is far behind the spec sheet. And its efficiency is less than 60% at that time.

One thing we forgot to mention is that the car is in ready mode. This means that if the traction battery goes down to 30%(or 25%, I am not sure), ICE generator activates and supply energy to battery. That added energy is used to supply 12V battery if the voltage goes down under 13V or so(not accurate).
This circulation will be continued until the gas is empty. Once the the gas is empty, ICE stop, system will be shut down. The only thing we have to do is check gas meter not to be empty.

But I still have questions like;
1. How efficiently supply energy from ICE generator to Traction battery?
2. How efficiently supply from traction battery to 12v aux battery?
3. How much is the maximum wattage the 12v aux battery supply to inverter?

This flow is not simple. Only the Mitsubishi engineer can have the data but will not be published to public. If the data will be published by Mitsubishi, installing inverter according to the spec will be legal as if we attach small inverter to cigarette jack will not ruin the warranty.

This is my excuse on your calculation. I do not mean that your calculation is wrong. We just approach PHEV in different way of thinking.

Thank you

6kw!! We lived off grid for 20 years on a 2 kw system, fridge, freezer, washing machine, TV etc.. a 3000w gennie is $300 ar Aldi and ours has run regularly for the past 5 years to power pumps chain saws concrete mixers etc. Our house battery is now 16kwhr and is way big enough to run a normal house without worrying what is on at once.

6kw!! We lived off grid for 20 years on a 2 kw system, fridge, freezer, washing machine, TV etc.. a 3000w gennie is $300 ar Aldi and ours has run regularly for the past 5 years to power pumps chain saws concrete mixers etc. Our house battery is now 16kwhr and is way big enough to run a normal house without worrying what is on at once.
Thank you for your actual valuable information. I should have known this information 12 years ago. At that time, it was not usual to buy things from ALI. Home Depot and Lowes are main sources of home appliances. We are living in better consumer world compare to then. I guess i paid $399 for 2000w generator

I had 2kw generator with me but I couldn't run fridge, freezer, washing machine sump pump and dryer at the same time. Whenever I connect two unit to run at same time, the generator died. Gas supply was not smooth since whole area is damaged by flood. Please consider this condition which I have actually experienced. I did not have battery at all. I do not know what your house has 16kwhr battery means. Do you mean that generator charge battery and battery supplies house power? If so, you need very expensive inverter to transfer DC to AC. If not, what is use of battery for power blackout?

If you read post of Daniel77, who installed 2500w inverter to his Mitsubishi, we learn how to utilize Outlander PHEV for emergency situation or for camping with less than $300. As I said before, it becomes common to use Electric car for AC power source, instead of generator. Before electric car, many people used portable generator for power source when fishing and camping. Now a days, they switched to inverter. What I miss is that such post is limited to Prius so far. But Daniel77 carried out this project by himself on Outlander. That means Prius Experience does not limited to Prius, it could be expended to Outlander, too.

His post recalled my old days memory and I am so much encouraged to jump into new electric car era. Using electric car is much environmental than burn gas directly under low efficiency, such as generator. One gallon of gas will run an hour for small generator usually. If it becomes big generator, it will increase. One gallon of gas will idle to generator electricity to PHEV battery for 3 times of full charge from empty battery. The efficiency between generator vs PHEV motor to generate electric is incomparable. I do not know hidden technology. But 11 gallon of gas will produce over 200kwh - 300kwh power if we just keep the car in ready mode, while generator will run half a day. If I consume 2kwh, car battery will last for 100 hours to 150 hours with 11 gallons of gas, about a week. New Tech wins.

Hi, Thanks for your reply on my rough experience not based on scientific data. I guess your calculation came out from the traction battery capacity is 13.8kwh, and divided by 6kw will become 2 hours. You are very much correct in calculation.

In order to avoid misunderstanding my previous explanation, the point was that Daniel77 experience is extremely valuable to me now. Similar experiences exist a lot here and there by the inverter user, but those were not made by Outlander PHEV but Prius, Leaf, and other model and small RVs. However, electric device is not a simple electrons flow alone. Lots of other factors are involved. That is the reason why Daniel77 actual experience on Outlander PHEV has its own value.

Cost of $300(estimate for installing inverter) is not small money for poor retired old man but my bad memory on my younger day's of disaster keep me thinking about of emergency power.

The fact of 6Kw is not coming for calculation. It came from my neighbor when we lost power, who said to me when I complained about my small 2k Generator was not successful. He said that we have to get at least 6kw generator in such case for the house. I did not mean I use 6 kw for the house. According to my memory, generator actual capacity is far behind the spec sheet. And its efficiency is less than 60% at that time.

One thing we forgot to mention is that the car is in ready mode. This means that if the traction battery goes down to 30%(or 25%, I am not sure), ICE generator activates and supply energy to battery. That added energy is used to supply 12V battery if the voltage goes down under 13V or so(not accurate).
This circulation will be continued until the gas is empty. Once the the gas is empty, ICE stop, system will be shut down. The only thing we have to do is check gas meter not to be empty.

But I still have questions like;
1. How efficiently supply energy from ICE generator to Traction battery?
2. How efficiently supply from traction battery to 12v aux battery?
3. How much is the maximum wattage the 12v aux battery supply to inverter?

This flow is not simple. Only the Mitsubishi engineer can have the data but will not be published to public. If the data will be published by Mitsubishi, installing inverter according to the spec will be legal as if we attach small inverter to cigarette jack will not ruin the warranty.

This is my excuse on your calculation. I do not mean that your calculation is wrong. We just approach PHEV in different way of thinking.

Thank you

sounds like you want a V2L (Vehicle to Load) adapter, something i've been looking for too.

one recently got approved for use in australia, the "wallbox quasar 1" but the manufacturer has discontinued it and has not yet released the "wallbox quasar 2". it also had a high price tag ($10000 aud, equivalent to $6000 USD)

https://www.carsales.com.au/editori...-approved-for-bi-directional-charging-146071/

i don't know the answer to question 1, apparently the ICE can recharge the battery in 90 minutes while idling, so the best way to get an answer would be to talk to an owner or dealer and ask how much fuel it uses in those 90 minutes.

as for question 2 and 3, the efficiency isn't the issue, the issue is the diameter of the cables connecting the traction battery to the aux battery, and how the system converts to 12v (I.E. what its max output is in amps).

you can easily pull 300amps out of a lead-acid battery for a short time, but overheating is an issue, and another bigger issue is that if the traction battery only charges the aux at 10amps you're very quickly going to flatten it. you could buy a much bigger lead-acid battery to solve the heating problem but you've still got the problem of charging it.

i've been looking at connecting an inverter to the 12v aux battery but honestly at this point it i think i'm just gonna wait for V2L systems to become more widespread in australia.

the other option i've been considering is getting an electrician to wire up a "hybrid inverter" normally used with house solar/battery installations, which could give 5kw and allow solar panels to be put on the roof to top up the battery during the day without needing to be plugged in, but i still haven't actually spoken to an electrician about it, it could be impossible due to the inverter needing to be grounded.

the 2025 ford ranger PHEV will supposedly have a 3kw inverter and 3 power outlets, but ford's reputation for reliability and service are absolute garbage, and the battery is only 11.8kwh. if mitsubishi put a 10kw inverter in their 2025 outlander they could market it as a "generator on wheels" and every tradesman in australia would want one.

Last edited:
Thanks. You pinpointed out my thought. A decade + year ago, I had blackout in my area for 4-5 days in the city. That is like hell to me. My basement had been soaked and all food become garbage. FEMA helped me out financially but the mental damage was so big. after that, Just a few hours of Power down, I lost my mind.

I am not a camper or fisher. But because of such bad experience, I bought a 2000w generator. In addition to that, I searched a lot to avoid such diester but it costs a lot of money, I mean easy over a few thousand to tens of thousand dollar, such as solar power system. A few years of searching cheap solution, EV car for "Generator on Wheels", I found. However, those solution is only from Prius, not from other cars. It looks strange to me why luxury cars do not try the way Prius owners does.

Maybe Luxury car owners do not take a risk to alter warranty. I once own the CT200h, which is luxury grade of Prius. And no CT200h owner is trying to install as Prius owner tried, even though those cars are brothers. So, I hesitated to install inverter to my Lexus because of lack of knowledge of electric. I have to wait until some CT200h owner try and post it as success. At the same time, I do not want to own Prius just for such purpose only. I am a poor man now as retired, I did not pay much tax neither. But when I was young, I had Volvo, M3, Z4, Boxster, SC430 an so on. This habit does not allow me to buy Prius even though it is confirmed as goof back up power source by the street people.

I knew Outlander is not quite reliable car when compare to Lexus. but when I test drive, I can feel a little bit of luxury thing considering the price in used the market. Hyundai has EV car with V2L function, but I do not want EV only car. And Outlander still have high chance of Emergency Backup power source as "generator on wheels".

A short form of my story why I am digging cheap way to set up Generator On Wheels. Back ground of this story is that some of my bad experience of blackout, some of my car interest, some of my short knowledge on the car electric system, some of my current budget situation and some of my personality of hesitating to spend money on experimental process.

Daniel77 actually installed 2500w inverter to Aux battery and he said successful. It encouraged me to try on my car.

Other Australian poured the money for V2H system, not V2L. There are SETEC product which might be available to use CHAdeMO connector for V2L which cost $3,000 for equipment. There are many ways to prepare blackout but every thing cost a lot of money or far behind of modern tech, such as Generator. It is too much for me.

Choosing the proper car will be the smart thing to save money, fulfill the interest of car, not much extra money to spend for back up system, and it will be the best if the car itself has competitive price in the market. I bought 2022 Outlander PHEV SEL 45600 miles on it with $16,137 tax included, but not included dealer fee. I did not pay Lojack even though they insist it is installed(tried to charge me in front 2,999). I think this is good feal considering year and miles. The driving is excellent but I do not know what kind of problem is in ahead. I hope warranty would solve the problem if the issues is big.

I will not install any thing to the car at the moment. Instead, I just prepare 2500w Inverter and related parts. Because I do not ruin my factory warranty and if emergency happens, it is very easy to install.

Thanks for reading not fruitful story.

sounds like you want a V2L (Vehicle to Load) adapter, something i've been looking for too.

one recently got approved for use in australia, the "wallbox quasar 1" but the manufacturer has discontinued it and has not yet released the "wallbox quasar 2". it also had a high price tag ($10000 aud, equivalent to $6000 USD)

https://www.carsales.com.au/editori...-approved-for-bi-directional-charging-146071/

i don't know the answer to question 1, apparently the ICE can recharge the battery in 90 minutes while idling, so the best way to get an answer would be to talk to an owner or dealer and ask how much fuel it uses in those 90 minutes.

as for question 2 and 3, the efficiency isn't the issue, the issue is the diameter of the cables connecting the traction battery to the aux battery, and how the system converts to 12v (I.E. what its max output is in amps).

you can easily pull 300amps out of a lead-acid battery for a short time, but overheating is an issue, and another bigger issue is that if the traction battery only charges the aux at 10amps you're very quickly going to flatten it. you could buy a much bigger lead-acid battery to solve the heating problem but you've still got the problem of charging it.

i've been looking at connecting an inverter to the 12v aux battery but honestly at this point it i think i'm just gonna wait for V2L systems to become more widespread in australia.

the other option i've been considering is getting an electrician to wire up a "hybrid inverter" normally used with house solar/battery installations, which could give 5kw and allow solar panels to be put on the roof to top up the battery during the day without needing to be plugged in, but i still haven't actually spoken to an electrician about it, it could be impossible due to the inverter needing to be grounded.

the 2025 ford ranger PHEV will supposedly have a 3kw inverter and 3 power outlets, but ford's reputation for reliability and service are absolute garbage, and the battery is only 11.8kwh. if mitsubishi put a 10kw inverter in their 2025 outlander they could market it as a "generator on wheels" and every tradesman in australia would want one.
In North America we have a 15A 120V outlet in the hatch area.

I have 2022 Outlander PHEV SEL. I live in Florida. Leaflet or car reviews regarding PHEV, they say GT model has 1500w 120V AC outlets in Trunk and rear of center consol. On/Off Switch of this function is located in front center under AC control. But only in GT model.

Australia too, we get two 240v outlets and can pull 1500w from the car, but that model is 5k USD more expensive than the base model (60k aud vs 68k aud), it also comes with 20 inch wheels and according to the dealership its more expensive to swap back to the 18 inch wheels that are standard on the base model, and you need the 18s to deal with aussie roads (in the part where i live, the potholes on the main highways can just about take your wheel off).

i'd rather drop $60k AUD on the base model PHEV and buy a $200 1.5kw inverter to run from the traction battery's 12v output which is normally used to charge the aux battery. spending 5K USD extra for power outlets i'm only gonna use every 2-3 months just isn't worth it.

as for the warranty, it is what it is. EV grade lithium cells are $200 AUD per kwh these days, in 5 years the cost of replacing the battery pack will be half what it is today, if not less, because right now the main cost is "knowing how to do it". a DIY 15kwh home battery pack using EV cells is $4-5k AUD, the only real difference is the BMS.

Last edited:
I envy you who has 120v(240v) AC outlet.

When I bought my Outlander PHEV SEL on July 23, 2024, I did not search this car enough on the web. After I bought it, I found that SEL is basic and GT model has 120v AC 1500w outlet. But at that time no GT was in the market within my budget, that information did not change my decision seriously. On the contrary, my car was too cheap to refuse, I think. (Approx $15995 2022 45600 miles)

A few days later, I happen to find a 2018 GT 65K miles $21590 with $4000 Clean Vehicle Tax Credit available. I am qualified for tax credit. Counting the number, I can buy that car with the price of $17,590. but compare to my car price, it is still high. Also 4 years older than mine and 20K miles more. In addition to that, transfortation fee is $1,590. Naturally, even GT attracts me a lot, it is too clear to me the loss of money. I found that Clean Vehicle Tax Credit system exists in used car and I also found that only Carvana offers that system. I checked some other dealers and Carmax but they do not support it. I gave up switching to GT model. It is too expensive to me.

Thank you for reading my story.

I envy you who has 120v(240v) AC outlet.

When I bought my Outlander PHEV SEL on July 23, 2024, I did not search this car enough on the web. After I bought it, I found that SEL is basic and GT model has 120v AC 1500w outlet. But at that time no GT was in the market within my budget, that information did not change my decision seriously. On the contrary, my car was too cheap to refuse, I think. (Approx $15995 2022 45600 miles)

A few days later, I happen to find a 2018 GT 65K miles $21590 with $4000 Clean Vehicle Tax Credit available. I am qualified for tax credit. Counting the number, I can buy that car with the price of $17,590. but compare to my car price, it is still high. Also 4 years older than mine and 20K miles more. In addition to that, transfortation fee is $1,590. Naturally, even GT attracts me a lot, it is too clear to me the loss of money. I found that Clean Vehicle Tax Credit system exists in used car and I also found that only Carvana offers that system. I checked some other dealers and Carmax but they do not support it. I gave up switching to GT model. It is too expensive to me.

Thank you for reading my story.
You know soon mitsu trims and figuring out the features available is a crapshoot. So unclear.
I bought the entry level ES in Canada and didn't realize that it didn't have door locks ( on the door handles).
I was pissed. It's only available on upper trims.
Weird. But I checked the power outlet in the hatch and it says
1500w. So I feel good about that

You know soon mitsu trims and figuring out the features available is a crapshoot. So unclear.
I bought the entry level ES in Canada and didn't realize that it didn't have door locks ( on the door handles).
Hahaha,
Since Canada is cold, that option is more attractive to the public to sell more cars. You have more often power problems than Florida. In Florida, I guess, more concern on Solar power back up.
I envy you, too.

It has been quite a time passed since I started to use this thread. I have learned all about my concerns, now. After I collect all information about my concern, I concluded that no further hope for money saving by smart driving behavior or no further hope for which way to use this cars function get maximum efficiency for long life of the car. You are lucky to have 1500w in hatch by chance but not to me. It could be at least advantage that I can get the most of this car but it slipped away from me.

When I search for best Offload Mid SUV, Mitsubishi is not in the top 10. When I search best reliable mid SUV, Mitsubishi is not in the top 10, When I search best economic mid SUV, Mitsubishi is not in the top 10, Searching here and there, I couldn't find among top 10's. I started to wonder why people buy this Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV? This is my main questionable thing left in my mind. I have to find out why may car is good at. So far, I could not find.

I bought my cars in these days under such reasons
2001 Lexus SC430 - Hardtop convertible car with no issue at all with all luxury. Design is Superior, Resale value is very high Compare to GS70, Ion, SL550, All Benz convertibles, ETC.
2007 BMW Z4 - The most Beautiful super-ish car with its competitive price, even though repairing price is high, easy break down
2006 BMW M3 - Most powerful engine in its class. even though repairing price is high. It has name value
2011 Volvo V60 - The most safe car in the world. Benz have high safety but maintenance cost is too high. No extra maintenance cost.
2014 Toyota Highlander - Most reliable car in its class. No maintenance fee, especially
2008 Honda Accord - No maintenance fee. Never visit Garage for repair.
2006 Subaru Impreza - Best All wheel drive in its class
2012 Lexus CT200H - Most advanced Hybrid Engine at that time with Luxury. - Never visited garage for repair.
1999 Porsche Boxster - The best car to enjoy driving. - Engine Oil Change cost $400.- But still it is the best car among the car I've driven so far. After this car, I almost lost my apatite on car. I totaled because of transaxle failure. The repair cost was too high. Next car was M3 but not satisfied at all.
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid. - Experimental challenge to new tech car after Lexus but I didn't satisfied. In spite of big loss of money I trade-in quickly to Mitsubishi PHEV

I had more cars like frontier, Honda Ridgeline, Hyundai Azera, Toyota Matrix, ETC but they are one of the tops in its class. Furthermore, every garage can fix all most of the failure with good price instantly.

2022 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - I choose this because it has a stable driving comfort and its competitive price in the used car market. Except that, I don't know what is good to me. I am sitting on the hedgehog sofa not knowing when and how it attacks me with the warning light on dashboard. All with other cars, I know the defects and when it happens, I have all solution without robbing the bank, even to BMW. But this car, I just cross finger it is not happening to me. When I am talking about the failure it is so verity that I have no confidence which will be broken. Many You tube say so. Some say this car has too many sensors. Some say modern EV cars have so much unknown failure in parts and circuits. Some say we must treat car carefully with electric knowledge. Some say we have to wait for parts form Japan for 6 months. Lots of parts are in back order. Not so many service center in US. Failure in part is not an issue. The issue is where to fix, when to be fixed.

All my ignorance of this car and Manufacturer. All my unluck. I was digging too much of cheap car.

Please tell me why it is a good car. I need a certain reason to keep this car for long time without worries. Breaking down is one thing and quick repairing is also very important.

Last edited:
It has been quite a time passed since I started to use this thread. I have learned all about my concerns, now. After I collect all information about my concern, I concluded that no further hope for money saving by smart driving behavior or no further hope for which way to use this cars function get maximum efficiency for long life of the car. You are lucky to have 1500w in hatch by chance but not to me. It could be at least advantage that I can get the most of this car but it slipped away from me.

When I search for best Offload Mid SUV, Mitsubishi is not in the top 10. When I search best reliable mid SUV, Mitsubishi is not in the top 10, When I search best economic mid SUV, Mitsubishi is not in the top 10, Searching here and there, I couldn't find among top 10's. I started to wonder why people buy this Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV? This is my main questionable thing left in my mind. I have to find out why may car is good at. So far, I could not find.

I bought my cars in these days under such reasons
2001 Lexus SC430 - Hardtop convertible car with no issue at all with all luxury. Design is Superior, Resale value is very high Compare to GS70, Ion, SL550, All Benz convertibles, ETC.
2007 BMW Z4 - The most Beautiful super-ish car with its competitive price, even though repairing price is high, easy break down
2006 BMW M3 - Most powerful engine in its class. even though repairing price is high. It has name value
2011 Volvo V60 - The most safe car in the world. Benz have high safety but maintenance cost is too high. No extra maintenance cost.
2014 Toyota Highlander - Most reliable car in its class. No maintenance fee, especially
2008 Honda Accord - No maintenance fee. Never visit Garage for repair.
2006 Subaru Impreza - Best All wheel drive in its class
2012 Lexus CT200H - Most advanced Hybrid Engine at that time with Luxury. - Never visited garage for repair.
1999 Porsche Boxster - The best car to enjoy driving. - Engine Oil Change cost $400.- But still it is the best car among the car I've driven so far. After this car, I almost lost my apatite on car. I totaled because of transaxle failure. The repair cost was too high. Next car was M3 but not satisfied at all.
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid. - Experimental challenge to new tech car after Lexus but I didn't satisfied. In spite of big loss of money I trade-in quickly to Mitsubishi PHEV

I had more cars like frontier, Honda Ridgeline, Hyundai Azera, Toyota Matrix, ETC but they are one of the tops in its class. Furthermore, every garage can fix all most of the failure with good price instantly.

2022 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - I choose this because it has a stable driving comfort and its competitive price in the used car market. Except that, I don't know what is good to me. I am sitting on the hedgehog sofa not knowing when and how it attacks me with the warning light on dashboard. All with other cars, I know the defects and when it happens, I have all solution without robbing the bank, even to BMW. But this car, I just cross finger it is not happening to me. When I am talking about the failure it is so verity that I have no confidence which will be broken. Many You tube say so. Some say this car has too many sensors. Some say modern EV cars have so much unknown failure in parts and circuits. Some say we must treat car carefully with electric knowledge. Some say we have to wait for parts form Japan for 6 months. Lots of parts are in back order. Not so many service center in US. Failure in part is not an issue. The issue is where to fix, when to be fixed.

All my ignorance of this car and Manufacturer. All my unluck. I was digging too much of cheap car.

Please tell me why it is a good car. I need a certain reason to keep this car for long time without worries. Breaking down is one thing and quick repairing is also very important.

if you want cost savings, the best option is to buy cheap pre-owned small cars that are 15-20 years old, drive them till they die, then buy another for $2k. thats what i've been doing for the last 15 years. each year i spend a combined total of less than $3000 on transport (excluding the occasional long distance trip), and thats a high estimate, the real number is probably closer to $2000.

buying a $40-50-60k car to save money doesn't make much sense, because you're either paying 5-10% interest on a loan, or losing out on 5-10% capital gains from investing the money you would have spent on the car, and unless you do more than 200km each week that 5-10% will be more than the fuel costs of running a cheap pre-owned small car.

add in the cost of the actual vehicle, and the "ROI payoff time" on me buying an outlander PHEV would be 30-40 years. i don't want one for cost savings, i'm strongly considering buying one because my situation makes it an attractive option. my current $2k car only has a year or two left due to accumulated wear and tear that will cost $4k+ to fix.

my options are "buy another cheap pre-owned ICE vehicle", as it makes zero sense to me to spend more than $5k on one...

OR "buy an EV" which despite being cheap to run, will be massively inconvenient as it'll take away my ability to do long trips easily and i'd have to invest in a home charger due to charging speed issues at home...

OR buy a plug in hybrid that can double as a small camper vehicle so i have access to electricity anywhere/anytime and sleeping space with airconditioning, which has the potential to save $100 per day of travel by eliminating the need for overnight accomodation. the battery can charge in under 8 hours (240v AC is standard in my country). i'm planning to do a degree in electrical engineering, so i'll eventually be able to fix/modify the vehicle.

cars are almost always a money pit, an expense and never an investment. "improving your financial situation" is best acheived by figuring out how to reduce your tax bill or improve the return on your investments.

as for a "reason to keep the car for a long time", i'd say "because you've already bought it and you're gonna take a loss on the sale", outlander PHEVs are in short supply in australia so pre-owned outlander PHEVs have excellent value retention, dealers are selling old demo models at a markup from MRSP, but i know that in the US they're a bit overstocked so trade-in-value might not be good.

Last edited:
if you want cost savings, the best option is to buy cheap pre-owned small cars that are 15-20 years old, drive them till they die, then buy another for $2k. thats what i've been doing for the last 15 years. each year i spend a combined total of less than $3000 on transport (excluding the occasional long distance trip), and thats a high estimate, the real number is probably closer to $2000.

buying a $40-50-60k car to save money doesn't make much sense, because you're either paying 5-10% interest on a loan, or losing out on 5-10% capital gains from investing the money you would have spent on the car, and unless you do more than 200km each week that 5-10% will be more than the fuel costs of running a cheap pre-owned small car.

add in the cost of the actual vehicle, and the "ROI payoff time" on me buying an outlander PHEV would be 30-40 years. i don't want one for cost savings, i'm strongly considering buying one because my situation makes it an attractive option. my current $2k car only has a year or two left due to accumulated wear and tear that will cost $4k+ to fix.

my options are "buy another cheap pre-owned ICE vehicle", as it makes zero sense to me to spend more than $5k on one...

OR "buy an EV" which despite being cheap to run, will be massively inconvenient as it'll take away my ability to do long trips easily and i'd have to invest in a home charger due to charging speed issues at home...

OR buy a plug in hybrid that can double as a small camper vehicle so i have access to electricity anywhere/anytime and sleeping space with airconditioning, which has the potential to save $100 per day of travel by eliminating the need for overnight accomodation. the battery can charge in under 8 hours (240v AC is standard in my country). i'm planning to do a degree in electrical engineering, so i'll eventually be able to fix/modify the vehicle.

cars are almost always a money pit, an expense and never an investment. "improving your financial situation" is best acheived by figuring out how to reduce your tax bill or improve the return on your investments.

as for a "reason to keep the car for a long time", i'd say "because you've already bought it and you're gonna take a loss on the sale", outlander PHEVs are in short supply in australia so pre-owned outlander PHEVs have excellent value retention, dealers are selling old demo models at a markup from MRSP, but i know that in the US they're a bit overstocked so trade-in-value might not be good.
My posting was between ronnieracoon and me. He is lucky guy since his car has option of 1500w 120v outlet, which is a huge option cost of $6,000 value in US.

In addition to that, I described about fuel efficiency on the cars under the car category point of view. I neither do not want cheap car to save money nor mention to recommend to buy cheap car to the others in my post. I don't know why you think I am looking for cheap car, to save money.

Please do not have prejudice 40k-50k-60k car buyer are spending money unreasonably. They have their own background why they buy such priced car and disregarding the money on the car, most of the people try to save a dollar while they maintain the car. Where to spend money and where to save money is as diversity as each finger print. I just add my professional opinion how the car has its own categories and how the history of the ICE to EV progressed.

On the world, what could be not belongs to money pit. Where to live, how to decorate, how to eat, how to maintain health, how to move, how to wear, everything you name it, are related with money. The difference is that who puts its value to what, where, how, by their Philosophy of the way of thinking. I just provide some background of each different categories of the cars and technical background for their decision to be successful in choosing the car.

I respect social reputation. I can't buy 2k car because I have prejudice that if I drive such a cheap car, I feel shame by myself that people think I am a loser in the life. I sometimes buy a goods at the flee market, but I don't feel shame when I buy used stuff with cheap price. I own 4 monitor for 2 desktops to enjoy media, but I don't think I waste my money for nothing, only because I have 2 desktops and 4 monitor. I have 2 phones, one is active and another is for extra searching. I have Drawing table to enjoy learning drawing at my old days.

You see the cars for the money saving point of view. But every cars provide more than money. That's why I showed each cars characteristic how we select the car upon their specific needs. You can save money by repairing car by yourself. but 90% of the car owner cannot do that. if your skill is only your choice how to save the money, you have to check carefully which cars can be repaired by simple tools and your skill. If you do not careful to choose under this point of view, you might face the difficult to get a electronic components. Or without special tools, you cannot get to disassembling itself.

If you achieve electrical degree, that would be great. What kind of electrical degree is it? Car repair is not one field of repair. First, we have to have skill of diagnosis. This will not belongs to electrical knowledge. Diagnoses may be sometimes simple but sometimes maze. It may belongs to mechanical failure, or structure failure, or, weakness of design, electric components failure, or electronic components failure, or maintenance defects. Or, multiple combined reasons.

When we see the market of individual garage, they are specialized on a certain category. There is no General Hospital Garage. Like Autobody, Engine, Transmission, Used part car junction, etc. and when we repair our own car, there are so many exceptions from you knowledge.

What about tools. Sometimes, single tool is more expensive than repair cost. Even flushing brake oil, good tools are expensive than brake oil flushing at the garage. Hydro pressure press, hydro pressure jack, Lifter, Pressure tank system, welding machine and more. All these are essential if you want to fix the car by yourself. But these are only limited to mechanical field. When we goes to electrical repair, we need special Oscilloscope, DC generator, Volt meter, watt meter, Amp meter, high temp heater, ETC. If you are planning to be special repair guy, you can invest money to setup repair system, otherwise, all tool cost will be way over you budget. Even though you have basic tool, we cannot guarantee that those tools are enough to repair your car.

If you have enough electrical knowledge to diagnose the failure, it will not be ended to finish repair automatically.

Repair concept comes out from owning an old ICE car spending 5K under. Your idea is good to use old car by repairing by yourself.

When we once the convenience of modern technology, it is difficult to go back to old tech. Nobody buys Cathode Tube monitor or TV in these days. ICE engine fuel efficiency is 12-30% officially from government org. Old ICE maybe lower than 12%. If you spend $100 for gas, $12 is used for moving. In EV, if you spend $100 for electric, $80 - $99 will be use for car moving. 5K ICE car needs more often oil change, transaxle oil change, bushing replace, shock replace, spring replace, old engine part, alternator, battery, relays and fuses, etc will requires more money than skill to repair. 5k cars faces the difficult to get oem part, too.

As advancing from Cathode tube tv to QOLED tv, CDMA to 5G LTE, car industry is also moving forward from ICE, Diesel to EV. I just provide simple description how it advanced. Some may stay in ICE and some may go forward to EV. It is merely depend to each person's Philosophy, how they build up their ways of thinking. I just show them how the car is moving forward, by its technical background. Just check where you are in. Buying cheap old car or buy 2-4 years of used car or buy brand new car is not important, I say. The important thing is what is your needs and favorites, based on financial power. Personal curiosity and pioneer sprit sometimes may be added to each selection. Remember we spend at least 2 hours a day, everyday. Remember we spend whole weekend with family in camping cars. Remember we spend a few hours for vacation journey. Remember we build up relationship in the car. Sometimes the car is our business partner, sometimes I have to use my car for transporting used appliance or furniture which I bought from flee market. Sometimes it can change to mobile power supply when our town flooded. So personal need is the most important to choose the car.

Last edited:
If you achieve electrical degree, that would be great. What kind of electrical degree is it? Car repair is not one field of repair. First, we have to have skill of diagnosis. This will not belongs to electrical knowledge. Diagnoses may be sometimes simple but sometimes maze. It may belongs to mechanical failure, or structure failure, or, weakness of design, electric components failure, or electronic components failure, or maintenance defects. Or, multiple combined reasons.

When we once the convenience of modern technology, it is difficult to go back to old tech. Nobody buys Cathode Tube monitor or TV in these days. ICE engine fuel efficiency is 12-30% officially from government org. Old ICE maybe lower than 12%. If you spend $100 for gas, $12 is used for moving. In EV, if you spend $100 for electric, $80 - $99 will be use for car moving. 5K ICE car needs more often oil change, transaxle oil change, bushing replace, shock replace, spring replace, old engine part, alternator, battery, relays and fuses, etc will requires more money than skill to repair. 5k cars faces the difficult to get oem part, too.

Bachelor degree in Engineering, Majoring in Electrical.

You're right that repair is complex, but having "enough" knowledge to understand what needs to be repaired and what the repair work involves is very useful for ensuring you don't get ripped off by the people doing the repairs. ultimately with any car you buy, no matter what brand, there is always the chance you get what is called a "lemon" which constantly breaks down. Mitsubishi's reptuation can't match Toyota, but its far better than the reputation of Ford and most other car companies.

In regards to efficiency... for the outlander PHEV specifically, assuming 6L per 100km on petrol and 25kwh per 100km on pure electric, with 13kwh of energy in every liter of petrol, thats 78kwh worth of petrol per 100km. which would imply an ICE efficiency of around 33% relative to the EV motor, as the ICE uses 3.1x more "kwh equivalent" for the same distance.

EV chargers range in efficiency from 84% to 93%, so assuming 90% efficiency you need 28kwh to get 25kwh of charge.

where i live, 6L of petrol costs $11.00, and 28kwh of electricity costs $8.50, so while the "energy efficiency" of electric is far better, the difference in cost efficiency is what matters, and running in EV mode only provides a marginal benefit unless you switch to an "EV charging" plan with your electricity provider where you pay 6c per kwh or less, instead of 30c per kwh.

i know that in the US, petrol and electricity are cheaper than in australia, so the math may work out differently. some of the public fast-charging stations where i live cost 60c per kwh, which if you do the math is less cost-efficient than petrol.

Bachelor degree in Engineering, Majoring in Electrical.

You're right that repair is complex, but having "enough" knowledge to understand what needs to be repaired and what the repair work involves is very useful for ensuring you don't get ripped off by the people doing the repairs. ultimately with any car you buy, no matter what brand, there is always the chance you get what is called a "lemon" which constantly breaks down. Mitsubishi's reptuation can't match Toyota, but its far better than the reputation of Ford and most other car companies.

In regards to efficiency... for the outlander PHEV specifically, assuming 6L per 100km on petrol and 25kwh per 100km on pure electric, with 13kwh of energy in every liter of petrol, thats 78kwh worth of petrol per 100km. which would imply an ICE efficiency of around 33% relative to the EV motor, as the ICE uses 3.1x more "kwh equivalent" for the same distance.

EV chargers range in efficiency from 84% to 93%, so assuming 90% efficiency you need 28kwh to get 25kwh of charge.

where i live, 6L of petrol costs $11.00, and 28kwh of electricity costs $8.50, so while the "energy efficiency" of electric is far better, the difference in cost efficiency is what matters, and running in EV mode only provides a marginal benefit unless you switch to an "EV charging" plan with your electricity provider where you pay 6c per kwh or less, instead of 30c per kwh.

i know that in the US, petrol and electricity are cheaper than in australia, so the math may work out differently. some of the public fast-charging stations where i live cost 60c per kwh, which if you do the math is less cost-efficient than petrol.
I think you got recovered reason from 2k, 5k car issue. I have Batchelor degree in Engineering majoring computer programing. It has been 50 years. Those days programming is basic of computer language like Cobol. I didn't use of my specialty because Job opportunity wasn't much when I graduate.

As fa as I know, Electrical major is not for real field of Job, but it is strongly related in Pure Science, which means studying theoretical field. If not, it doesn't matter. However, there are 2 different in electrons world. One is the subject of electricity and another one is world or electrons. One is macro world of electrons and another is Micro world of electrons. In other word, World of Electricity and world of Electro-Magnetic wave.

According to the data sheet, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV battery has 20miles on EV mode. If the journey is 30miles, 20miles by Battery only, and 10 miles for Hybrid. As a result, 30miles consume 0.38 gallons. We can say it 78miles per gallon, only if we drive only 30miles at a time and charge the battery and driving 30 miles.

If we drive 50 miles as one journey, 20 miles on EV and 30 miles in Hybrid. In this case it has 47 miles per gallon.
If we drive 75 miles as one journey, 20 miles on EV and 55 miles on Hybrid. In this case it has 38 miles per gallon.
if we drive 100miles as one journey, 20miles on EV and 80 miles on Hybrid. In this case it has 35 miles per gallon.

PHEV mileage is just like game of numbers. In actual life, we drive totally mixed drive journey. Also the weather and road condition and slope, type of tire, Highway or traffic local make all different gas mileage.

The numbers are slightly different with other year model and different battery size.

2018 year model has driving range with full gas is 310 miles. This number came out when we fill the gas and battery full, the most far distance by driving until the gas runs out. But we usually drives the car 10 miles at a time to 25 miles, 30 miles, 50 miles, 70 miles, and every end of journey, we used to charge battery. The actual mileage of my car stays in mystery.

Previously, we used to compare cars by gas mileage, repair cost during the ownership for 5 years, number of repair case, convenience of repair, parts cost, ETC. But things are changing. We cannot compare the car in general reputation at all after EV jumped in this car world. You may learn later that electric circuit has no way to test reliability. The trend in combined electric circuit is expensive part last long. Even though it looks right, but not always.
The more electric parts installed in the car, more chance to failure. Lots of current car failure are not Engine trouble, not transmission trouble, but power sensor not working, Liftgate sensor not working, rain sensor not working, touchscreen not working etc. It is not Mitsubishi's quality, it's sensor quality, which is electronics product. Nobody knows that the life span of sensors, relays, electric switches, step motors, resisters, capacitors, when all parts used in one circuit.

Now, users who is sensitive to this kind of issue, they are hesitate to go the EV applied cars.

Toyota and Nissan is not the leader in EV field anymore. They are in the same level. Consumers become more confusing when choose the car. Under such a circumstance of car market in these day, I would like to emphasize the each persons needs as first priority.

Back