Rattling Noise Inside Rear of PHEV – Need Advice

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gyanu Khatri

Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to see if anyone has experienced a similar issue with their PHEV. I have a new PHEV, and there's a persistent rattling noise coming from the rear interior of the vehicle. The sound resembles a loose screw jumping around inside a trim panel and hitting the metal body.

I've tried removing all loose items from the boot, took out the luggage cover bar, and checked every corner, including the seat belts, but I haven't been able to pinpoint the source of the noise.

This noise is so disturbing that it's affecting my driving experience, and I'm starting to regret purchasing this car. If anyone has experienced a similar problem or has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your insight.

Thank you for your help.

GK

Have you removed both hatch covers in the floor of the boot?

(The rear one opens easily, but the front needs a little more help.

Otherwise, you could try look inside the panels via the access hatches on the side walls.

To isolate the location, you could try get someone to ride in the back seat while you drive the car, particularly if you can find a route that always generates the noise.

Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to see if anyone has experienced a similar issue with their PHEV. I have a new PHEV, and there's a persistent rattling noise coming from the rear interior of the vehicle. The sound resembles a loose screw jumping around inside a trim panel and hitting the metal body.

I've tried removing all loose items from the boot, took out the luggage cover bar, and checked every corner, including the seat belts, but I haven't been able to pinpoint the source of the noise.

This noise is so disturbing that it's affecting my driving experience, and I'm starting to regret purchasing this car. If anyone has experienced a similar problem or has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your insight.

Thank you for your help.

GK
I had similar experience with other car. It took a long time to find out the cause of rattling but it was a small screw in the hollow bar under the front seat. There was no way to get it out. So I sprayed gap filler, which expands by itself to hold it.
It is not recommended for you to find it while you driving the car. So, you need other person to listen to the noise and locate the source of the noise while you driving. Rattling sound sometimes coming from nowhere.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your help.

GK
I seem to recall reports in the early days of the seat belt clip knocking against the door pillar!

New 2024 PHEV ?

Or old PHEV new to you ?

If the car has ever had a rear shunt, then broken glass granules inside the hatch can be very annoying.

You have reminded me, I want to inspect my rear panels with a snake camera, because my tool kit looks like it may be missing items, and I can imagine them having fallen inside the panel.

Back