Pneumatically compromised!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Driving along a UK Motorway with the ACC set to the “what you can get away with” speed I was accompanied by my wife. The TPWS activated I am suddenly very wide awake. After reading the cluster message I relaxed a bit. Waggling the steering wheel revealed no immediate problem with directional control.

I’d read the manual so knew that the TPWS triggers at a slight pressure reduction rather than just before the tyre squirms off the ledge. Accordingly I ease up, got in amongst the lorries and had a think. We’d not been over any debris so probably not a fast leak - further evidenced by the availability of full steering control and no unusual sounds. With Beaconsfield Services not a million miles away; press on with care was the decision.

Park up near the ‘Police on coffee break’ area and go into the building for T & P before investigating the activation. Soon found the culprit - a screw through the tread of a tyre which was still 70% inflated. Grumbles and mutterings were heard by passers by and Old Bill - about the age of my Grandaughter it felt! - stopped by to ensure I wasn’t trying to nick a tyre.

Now we come to why I’m submitting this report: Being a PHEV this car has no spare, just a can of tyre fitters nightmare goo and a small compressor to get you going again. Anyone who has used this system probably has a low opinion of its inventor. Fortunately I’d found a packet of tyre repair screws on my travels.

The first (tyre) image shows the cause of the slow flat. The second image is the TEMPORARY repair kit box, showing each screw in its own plastic storage ampoule. The close up is of the 2 sizes of screw, covered in a filler adhesive to temporarily seal the tyre. Out with the errant screw and in with the emergency seal screw. It sticks in place - Errol, the tyre fitter, who has an extended vocabulary, was nearly lost for words the next day when challenged by the wee thing. He did concede that it was preferable to cleaning Gloop out of a liquid sealed tyre.

So, in summary, the temporary repair works. However it DOES NOT meet the BS/EN standard for vehicle tyre repair. Your car will fail an MOT if you try your luck. Worse still, if you don’t get a proper repair done at first opportunity you will be awarded Points on your license for a defective tyre if the problem is spotted by a VOSA examiner or Police officer.

An Internet search for Car Tyre Repair Kit will probably be good for finding the kit. The on line statements about permanent repair are misleading - they only apply in certain territories outside Europe.

Attachments

• IMG_3378.jpeg
    IMG_3378.jpeg
    2.4 MB
  • IMG_3851.jpeg
    IMG_3851.jpeg
    1.4 MB
  • IMG_3850.jpeg
    IMG_3850.jpeg
    1.2 MB
I guess how often does one get a flat ( puncture)? that is why a spare wheel is no longer included in may makes and models. I have had one around 10 years ago. I had the 2009 Galant Ralliart with all the bells and whistles for its time including a spare wheel.
When I go the flat I realized it by the sudden thump, thump and stopped. Got out my jack, spanner but before jacking it up I realized I just could not loosen the wheel nuts even though I tried to 'jump' on the wheel spanner.
Fortunately I was and still am a CAA (Canadian AA) , phoned them and within a short period of time the Mech. was there with an portable pneumatic wrench got the nuts loose , fitted my tyre , checked the pressure loaded the flat into my trunk and waved me adieu! Cost nothing for the courtesy (worth every bit of my membership fee) sure I had to pay for the repair.
Ever since then I have used them for battery charging, locked out of my car and other little quirks. Conclusion: Become a member of an Automobile Association for peace of mind for ANY event.

I guess how often does one get a flat ( puncture)? that is why a spare wheel is no longer included in may makes and models.
I expect its more to do with weight and ways to tilt the rated fuel economy to meet regulatory dictats from various govts. Has been the case for some time now, with the initial shift to skinny spares and now to nothing at all, sadly.

I've had few reasons to need the spare over 40 years, tho typically when you do it's when the car is loaded up and on a long run and one time I could've done with 2 since both on one side picked up a bunch of nails. Lucky that was a Citroen so was able to drive it on 3 after swapping one over :) Likewise had a bolt in the sidewall (not so rare, another friend had a bolt come in thru the tread a few years back), no puncture repair is gonna get you moving again, a spare is the only quick way out.

So far not had an issue with the outlander, yet, I have thought about buying a wheel and getting a suitable tyre fitted up, or perhaps transferring one of these when I need to replace a pair/all four. Those screw plugs could be a handy keep you going temp solution tho.

I carry a similar repair kit but am also covered by breakdown services so may not even bother trying it. All depends on the situation. Somewhere remote but safe is worth a try, somewhere close to population and a quick pick up probably not.

"I realized I just could not loosen the wheel nuts even though I tried to 'jump' on the wheel spanner."
Had the same problem with wheel bolts "torqued" by "professionals" at the tyre depot.
Took a 3 foot extension AND jumping on it.
Loosened all the wheels and retightened with the car's wheel brace.
Afterwards I picked up this tip, use the jack to lift the end of the wheel brace against the weight of the car.
Be careful not to damage the security nut, always loosen this first.

I've had more punctures with the PHEV in the last 10 years than in all the previous 40 years of driving. I assume this is in part due to the extra weight and tyre width. Apart from 2 ripped sidewalls, they have all been screws etc causing slow punctures (very slow) so just re=inflated and back off on my journey to be repaired at my choosing! 😎

Anyone who has changed a puncture on a rear tyre of a Disco 3 with a full camping load in 40 degree heat knows that you need a spare wheel that is accessible. Having said that, get a real tyre repair kit. Have a look at the ARB site for an idea of what's included. We get a lot of punctures here in Oz if you drive on unsealed roads, due to the shaking and banging loosening and distributing any tech screws available. I've even pulled out a piece of leg bone from an old road kill.

Latest posts

Back