Oh the shame!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric990j

Day 2 and I stopped at clacket lane m25 services for a quick charge and a coffee, it's the 2nd time I used a rapid charger so thought nothing of it. Little did I know that once charged it would not unplug!!! I was sure I followed the instructions and after 5 minutes gave up and called the AA, luckily he was on site and laughed then frowned when he could not remove it, I was stuck. Luckily a guy in a Nissan Leaf turned up wanting to charge, hecame over to see what was up, and pulled it out after a push a wiggle and button pressing and was quite hard with it but it worked. Seems they get stuck sometimes and you have to push and pull.

Anyone else had this? I'm a bit wary of them now.

Not heard issues with ChaDeMo plug, but will be worth reporting the charge point to ecotricity as could be faulty plug.

email them at [email protected]
or call them on 01453 761455

They're always encouraging users to report any issues to them.

There are now 2 styles of ChaDeMo plugs.

One that you just push in and can release with 1 click. These are great. Cobham services has 1 of these.

The other, or old style, are a pain, as they require a double action connect and release. With these I've found varying issues, which I believe are associated with people forcfully removing them. The final connect action and initial release action is normally where the problem is, as it requires the handle to be pulled to complete the connection that then locks in a sleeve. To get it off you have to effectively disconnect the sleeve, press the button and push the handle sort of all at the same time. Then for the second disconnect action its a simple press of the button.

I think these are really poorly designed and am so glad that charge point 2 at Cobham had this replaced with the newer simpler connection.

I've got used to the old connectors now, but gotta say that the first time I used one I must have spent about 10-15 minutes working out how to disconnect the darn thing, it was sort of a WTF type moment :?

Thank you for your replies, I feel more normal! yes I will call them and report the issue, I called last night when it happened and they cheerily said they were closed!

I've had the same experience when trying to disconnect, as the sequence is not intuitive. The first time I had to be talked through it by the operator but still forgot next time :oops:

We've had similar issues and it took a bit of pushing and shoving to get it out!

I also found that the last one I used at M5 Sedgemor is located away from the bright lights around the main facilities and neither myself or my wife could decypher which buttons to press on the charger in the gloom! It would also help if the buttons were directly related to the action required and highlighted with an arrow on the screen or similar. Needs a little more thought I feel.

Eric you don't know what shame is! I asked a Leaf driver if I could use the other side of the charging post he was on.. he looked puzzled as to how I would do that.. 1. He was using the DC side and even if you could connect it (you can't) the PHEV wouldn't like the AC side much! 2. Only one person can use a post either AC or DC at time. I could see the look.. "numpty" he thought.

Back