Is an aftermarket head unit a solution?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer

Like many, my 2021 Outlander PHEV has a screen issue. It's not terminal yet but the dealer suggests it may be a year to get a fix under warranty. (Putting aside how you start a global class action recall for an obviously defective unit!), I was wondering if buying an aftermarket head unit and just swapping out the whole infotainment unit is an option? Will I still have access to all the functionality if I do? I appreciate in the UK this may cost me quite a bit but limping along with a mouse seems a poor commute for the next year.

Any downsides to doing this?

You've already put your finger on the downside.

The Mitsi head unit has proprietary software that runs on the head unit to communicate with the car. All of that functionality will be gone if your replace that computer.

(i.e. all of the monitoring displays, timers, telephone book, address book etc.)

Hopefully someone who has already done this can let you know if you need to Mitsubishi head unit to run the remote app, or if that is entirely managed by the 'remote module'.

While not a 3rd party unit, my 2019 PHEV came with a different Mitsu head unit that I believe was fitted to the ASX/L200 models rather than the standard fit all-touch SDA. Looks a little like the older MMCS in that it has buttons either side and control knobs for volume/tuning. Model is MX360564EX if interested.

Upsides - it works, shows the cameras albeit perhaps slightly lower resolution than the SDA. Not a glossy glass screen. I dislike touchscreens when driving so suits me better ;-)

Downsides - it has a front microSD slot but that's not usable other than for a Nav card which I don't have. Only one USB connection which is connected to the front dash outlet. I also noted they added a mic rather than hook into the roof mounted one which I may fix later. No EV/vehicle display/control.

For the remote control app, that works fine which is handy since I don't have any options on the head unit to change any vehicle settings.

I guess the previous owner broke the SDA so replaced with something he could get hold of that worked, cost or availability? dunno. It supports wired android auto and performs just fine so no plans to change it.

The issue for the OP will be to find a replacement that fits the hole in the dash or a way to blank off the gap. Easy if the older fascia surround/cover panel fits the later model which would give the option to use an earlier SDA or similar to get around the faulty head unit. You may need to do some rework/adapting of the connectors (hence the extra mic on mine) but not impossible.

I am wanting to do the same but on a 2014 PHEV to get CarPlay and a better user interface.

There are head units from AliExpress specifically for the Outlander so fit wise it looks factory, and supposedly maps all the steering controls. Plus side is running Android and downloading apps for more functionality.

Downside is AliExpress can be hit or miss, but I am still going to take a punt. I just want to sort out speakers, amp, subwoofer and sound deadening so I do it all in 1 shot.

Back