Hi

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drwho

I live in Mississauga which is in the Toronto GTA. We bought a 2024 Outlander PHEV GT Premium, 3 months ago, as we wanted to lower our fuel costs while in retirement and we just decided that it was a good idea to stop burning gasoline.
I don't really think my lack of gas usage will have much effect on the environment tho, as we personally know at least 5-6 families that have purchased a new vehicle in the last year and they have all bought Gas cars. Hmm ...
But we are still very happy with our choice, we enjoy the car, it drives very well, and we like not having to buy gas very often. It's the best car I've ever had to drive in stop and go traffic. specifically in EV mode with one pedal driving.
Happy motoring.

I live in Mississauga which is in the Toronto GTA. We bought a 2024 Outlander PHEV GT Premium, 3 months ago, as we wanted to lower our fuel costs while in retirement and we just decided that it was a good idea to stop burning gasoline.
I don't really think my lack of gas usage will have much effect on the environment tho, as we personally know at least 5-6 families that have purchased a new vehicle in the last year and they have all bought Gas cars. Hmm ...
But we are still very happy with our choice, we enjoy the car, it drives very well, and we like not having to buy gas very often. It's the best car I've ever had to drive in stop and go traffic. specifically in EV mode with one pedal driving.
Happy motoring.
I know the feeling. Some people are just very uncomfortable with the term global warming.You can't do more than your best....but please keep doing it!!

I own a 2019 model. At first I had no emotional connection with the car at all. (Is it weird having an emotional connection with a car?) I just wanted to contribute to a better environment. But the car has grown on me. It's a very smooth car, also on longer trips towing a tent trailer. I drive 90% of the time in EV mode. This combined with a PV system at home and free charging at work makes it very economical. I will never go back, will perhaps even switch to full EV...But not in the coming 5 years.. ;) ...

I know the feeling. Some people are just very uncomfortable with the term global warming.You can't do more than your best....but please keep doing it!!

I own a 2019 model. At first I had no emotional connection with the car at all. (Is it weird having an emotional connection with a car?) I just wanted to contribute to a better environment. But the car has grown on me. It's a very smooth car, also on longer trips towing a tent trailer. I drive 90% of the time in EV mode. This combined with a PV system at home and free charging at work makes it very economical. I will never go back, will perhaps even switch to full EV...But not in the coming 5 years.. ;) ...
Hi Haenzel.
We also like the thought of doing our part for the environment, it just makes sense these days with what's going on globally.
And it would also be about 5 years before we would consider and all electric vehicle. The infrastructure just isn't there.

Hi DrWho- Happy to hear you have joined us with your 2024 model. I have a 2020 model and coming up for 4 years and 72,000 km I am still happy with it even though I was hoping t get a better range out of it. We travel weekly on the QEW and my current range is around 30/32 km and we do a round trip from Niagara to Burlington regularly .
My question to you is : What is your current EV only range? Obviously I use gas but only on this regular run. Looking forward to your reply?

Hi DrWho- Happy to hear you have joined us with your 2024 model. I have a 2020 model and coming up for 4 years and 72,000 km I am still happy with it even though I was hoping t get a better range out of it. We travel weekly on the QEW and my current range is around 30/32 km and we do a round trip from Niagara to Burlington regularly .
My question to you is : What is your current EV only range? Obviously I use gas but only on this regular run. Looking forward to your reply?
Hi BruceHF

I hope that DrWho can reply soon but till he does I would like to report experience, if you do not mind.

I traded in my 2022 PHEV -Gt for the 2024 PHEV - GT on April 8, 2024.

I do drive mainly in the city, am surrounded by school Zones in Winnipeg and usually travel 24 to 24 kms per day, my routes are similar with slight deviations.

I always start my car by
1)Pressing the Brake Pendal and pushing Start Button
2) Press the EV button
3) Select ECO Mode
4) Shift to Drive
5) Pedal down to B-0

With the HVAC off and driving under 60kms. I have been averaging 95/100 km/hr

Occasionally when the ICE starts up and out of the blue, as soon as I can do safely, I pull over, turn off the car and restart it as per my previous sequence.

Below is a recent screen shot of my Screen.

A picture is worth a thousand words.20241010_180509.jpg

I should getting 95/100 km/h again on this charge if I continue to just drive in the city.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy your PHEV

Last edited:
Hi Bruce, thanks for the welcome.
We get about 85-90 kms out of a 100% charge, but we only charge it fully a couple of times per month. The rest of the time we charge to between 80% and 90% and this gives us a 70 to 80 km range on electric only with the car set to EV and ECO mode.

Contrary to PHEV07, I first push the start button, then push the EV button, Then push the brake and start the car. This method stops the ICE from coming on unless you accelerate hard or apparently if you use the heater, but I haven't personally tested the heater thing yet.

When I start the car as PHEV07 does, full on first, the ICE keeps kicking in to charge the battery or whatever. Both PHEV07 and myself are impressed by the EV mileage we get, as the brochure said we would only get 61kms on electric only. I think the system must read and store our driving style info and then adjust the range accordingly, but I'm just guessing on this.
Hope this helps.
Dave

Hi BruceHF

I hope that DrWho can reply soon but till he does I would like to report experience, if you do not mind.

I traded in my 2022 PHEV -Gt for the 2024 PHEV - GT on April 8, 2024.

I do drive mainly in the city, am surrounded by school Zones in Winnipeg and usually travel 24 to 24 kms per day, my routes are similar with slight deviations.

I always start my car by
1)Pressing the Brake Pendal and pushing Start Button
2) Press the EV button
3) Select ECO Mode
4) Shift to Drive
5) Pedal down to B-0

With the HVAC off and driving under 60kms. I have been averaging 95/100 km/hr

Occasionally when the ICE starts up and out of the blue, as soon as I can do safely, I pull over, turn off the car and restart it as per my previous sequence.

Below is a recent screen shot of my Screen.

A picture is worth a thousand words.View attachment 1501

I should getting 95/100 km/h again on this charge if I continue to just drive in the city.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy your PHEV

We are here again. I am a new owner of Outlander PHEV. It's been a couple of months to be acquainted. During the time, I'm getting familiar to the concerns of the each car owners and have learned a lot from their experiences.
Unfortunately, there exists a different option from what I have learned so far from the other post.
1. Hybrid including PHEV naturally engages EV driving if there remains enough power in battery until module reads energy level is good for next one mile of Battery driving. If the driver wants to run under EV mode, no need to select EV when start or normal driving with a certain level of energy in battery. It is clear that EV is not available when battery level is minimum.
2. It is important to understand that battery charge level determines most of the selections, selected functions, such as, heater, A/C, Series, Parallel, ETC. Just keep in mind that PHEV,s extra advantages are solely available when battery level is above minimal. Otherwise, it runs exactly as same as HEV.
3. We usually understand that HEV doesn't requires driver's maneuvers except Sport and ECO mode. It is same to PHEV, except longer EV distance or parallel.
4. You need to understand correctly what is Series and what is Paralel in PHEV. We have to understand what is the purpose of each functions and what are necessary and enough conditions for each modes to be activated.

Based on these 4 reasons, I thought we do not need to set EV mode intentionally, when we want to drive under normal or Eco mode, because the vehicle is moving with Electric motor all the time until the Battery level goes down to minimum level.

Can you explain if there is special purpose or functions why you manually select Ev? Please teach me, if you don't mind?

I wonder why you pull over the car in the middle of driving in order to restart the car. Can you explain why where I can learn something new?

Series and parallel is the key to the understanding of HEV and PHEV MECHANISM. All buttons and functions are understandable once you understand them properly. I don't mean you don't know them by this express.

Hi Bruce, thanks for the welcome.
We get about 85-90 kms out of a 100% charge, but we only charge it fully a couple of times per month. The rest of the time we charge to between 80% and 90% and this gives us a 70 to 80 km range on electric only with the car set to EV and ECO mode.

Contrary to PHEV07, I first push the start button, then push the EV button, Then push the brake and start the car. This method stops the ICE from coming on unless you accelerate hard or apparently if you use the heater, but I haven't personally tested the heater thing yet.

When I start the car as PHEV07 does, full on first, the ICE keeps kicking in to charge the battery or whatever. Both PHEV07 and myself are impressed by the EV mileage we get, as the brochure said we would only get 61kms on electric only. I think the system must read and store our driving style info and then adjust the range accordingly, but I'm just guessing on this.
Hope this helps.
Dave
It sound mysterious to me. I am 2 months of owning Outlander PHEV. So, I am eager to learn about this car, not for gas mileage but for "Know more, Less trouble". Frankly speaking, the numbers in spec sheet is data from the lab equipment or computer simulation result, to get the final approval from authority for formal announcement. Government is deeply involved in the safe and envirnmental issues of the cars. So, it becomes a just reference data, compare to each individual's actual real number. I envy you have such high EV miles and I guess it is the result of your personal driving habit or the conditon of the road and journey, including the temperature where you live. However, we can compare the quality of the driving battery at lab, by the calculated numbers under same lab condition. According to those numbers, each battery, which is used for a certain model of the car, has different miles per kwh and different DC voltage (High voltage has better electric motor efficiency). Mit battery uses 292 DV, Ioniq battery uses 595 - 695 v DC Also, those battery capacity will be changed by the weight of the car installed. Those numbers should be considered when we buy the EV car, as if we care about gas mileage when we buy ICE cars.

There are official EV mileage data camparision on each cars, not each battery part number, because battery is company confidential. The lowest is 1.5 mile per kwh. The highest is Tesla, 5 miles per kwh, same level is Hyundai EV 4.9 miles per kwh. The reason of different EV miles per each battery is that they have been built in different battery tech level by different battery manufacturers. So, the price of the battery is jumping ups and downs. That is the secret of battery industry. Some car manufacturer design and develop the battery by themselves for their car model but usually they buy from battery manufacturer. Mitsubishi has 2..0 miles per kwh (unknown battery manufacturer). This number shows total EV distance of each model. 12kwh battery will have 24 miles as official EV distance, 13.4 kwh battery will have 26.8 miles and 20kwh battery will have 40 miles. The battery quality is one of the most important factor for sales of the cars. But we do not know the quality of the battery by its mile per kwh only.

The number shown in display cluster is not exact pure EV capacity distance. Capacity and actual run is different concept. Because actual EV run distance is including regen amout while driving. The regen amount is different by the habit of driving. Slow start and slow and steay speed also extends the EV distance. If you drive other cars, you still have higher EV distance than spec sheet because you will drive in the same road and same way of driving. I somehow believe that Setting EV in the beginning has no relation of you high EV distance. According to my knowledge of HEV and PHEV mechanism, not sure it is correct or not, EV motor is the main power source of the moving cars, all the time. After charging at home, disregarding 80% or 100% or 50% of charged level, the car uses Electric motor for moving power source, solely, until the bettery level goes to the bottom. However, there are some exceptions when the car uses ICE for driving power source. ICE has 2 functions. One is for charging the battery and the other is for driving the car. These are separate functions. Sometimes only for generator, sometimes for moving car and sometimes for both. Every case is determined by the main computer software, disregarding whatsoever we select our choices to control the car, even Air Conditioner and heater. In ICE cars, there are not much parts to be protected because it uses 12V system. On the contrary, EV, HWV, PHWV cars have too many part to be protected. 300 VDC - 800 VDC of electricity is very dangerous level and it is beyond of drivers control for safety. Thus, computer software controls all the flow of electricity at every corner of the circuit. It does not allow to exesive use of electricity in certain parts, like heater, cooler, motor and considers the level of charge in the battery.

The car uses the Electric motor for driving the car when you left the garage(Automatically the car engaged in EV driving). If the battery level goes bottom, ICE moves generator to charge the battey. It will stop to charge when computer decides the charged battery is good enough for next one mile of driving. E-motor uses battery continuously. Regen also charge the battery, too. After a certain time, when the battery level goes again to the bottom, ICE starts the charge again. This sequeance will be continued until the end of journey. EV distance will be changed according to the driving style and regen effict.

Then, when is the computer allow us to use ICE for driving? There are so many misunderstanding of this phynomina. If someone want to know correctly, please leave comment. It will be a long story.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
When we first bought the car, it would show an available electric only driving range of about 55kms or so on a 100% battery charge. Now, after 3 months of our driving, it shows an available 85km range on only electric power on a 100% charged battery. That is, of course, without regen figured in.
We check the mileage during this electric only driving time and we end up getting about 70 or 80 kms with 20% battery left. We try not to run the battery down to zero.

When we first bought the car, it would show an available electric only driving range of about 55kms or so on a 100% battery charge. Now, after 3 months of our driving, it shows an available 85km range on only electric power on a 100% charged battery. That is, of course, without regen figured in.
We check the mileage during this electric only driving time and we end up getting about 70 or 80 kms with 20% battery left. We try not to run the battery down to zero.
It looks like a miracle to me. It is lot more than regular battery capacity. But if it is true, than you and I have different concept on EV mileage even though we use same word.

My concept of EV mileage is to compare the energy efficiency between different cars. According to this concept of EV distance, Mitsubishi has 2.0 miles per kwh. So, 20kwh battery EV miles will be 40 miles (64km). While Tesla model 3 has 4.8 miles per kwh.

So.this comparison is meaningless. Because the battery itself has different grades.

It depends on how you drive the car. Slow start and steady speed on the modest slopes journey result high energy efficiency. It should be different from lab data calculation from virtual driving simulator for quality comparison. If you drive any car with such a nice behavior, you will get higher mileage than spec sheet.

You had 55kms in the first EV distance means that no history of drive or previous driving habits's result. You have to understand that the computer remembers the history of previous driving data for calculation. You increased by your driving habits and easy road conditions, not by the increase of battery capacity itself. Never happens battery capacity increase while driving.

Also be noticed that, your car is running by the Electric motor 100% during the journey, unless you push the car in Series mode, which is ICE involved for driving the wheels. If you don't push the car to engage Series mode, EV distance will be extended naturally. Don't get any relation between EV distance and battery quality directly. It is common misunderstanding of EV mileage. If I'm wrong, please teach me.

Good luck to you

It looks like a miracle to me. It is lot more than regular battery capacity. But if it is true, than you and I have different concept on EV mileage even though we use same word.

My concept of EV mileage is to compare the energy efficiency between different cars. According to this concept of EV distance, Mitsubishi has 2.0 miles per kwh. So, 20kwh battery EV miles will be 40 miles (64km). While Tesla model 3 has 4.8 miles per kwh.

So.this comparison is meaningless. Because the battery itself has different grades.

It depends on how you drive the car. Slow start and steady speed on the modest slopes journey result high energy efficiency. It should be different from lab data calculation from virtual driving simulator for quality comparison. If you drive any car with such a nice behavior, you will get higher mileage than spec sheet.

You had 55kms in the first EV distance means that no history of drive or previous driving habits's result. You have to understand that the computer remembers the history of previous driving data for calculation. You increased by your driving habits and easy road conditions, not by the increase of battery capacity itself. Never happens battery capacity increase while driving.

Also be noticed that, your car is running by the Electric motor 100% during the journey, unless you push the car in Series mode, which is ICE involved for driving the wheels. If you don't push the car to engage Series mode, EV distance will be extended naturally. Don't get any relation between EV distance and battery quality directly. It is common misunderstanding of EV mileage. If I'm wrong, please teach me.

Good luck to you
I don't believe that drwho implied that the Battery Capacity increases with driving.

He merely stated that when he first received his car that he only got 55kms on a full charge, in other Threads drwho did state that by driving more trips, that he started to get 85kms, which was higher than the 64kms stated by Mitsubishi.

I also have stated that my range has averaged 95/100 kms per 100% Charge. I also drive my car from 100% to 0% to get a true range, once or twice a month, generally tho I will drive my car till the Battery Level gets down to 20 to 25% or 10 to 15 of driving range left on the Battery because I drive a minimum of 14 kms per day, everyday. I charge overnight on 110vac sometimes on 240vac depending on how early in the morning I leave my house.

My goal after getting my PHEVs (3rd one is 2024 GT) has always been and will continue to be to drive my car as much as I can in EV only Mode.

I owe drwho a debt of gratitude for suggesting to me to consider changing my start up sequence.

I used to Press the EV Button then Start with Bake Pedal depressed and the ICE used to start up when I turned on the interior Heater. I hated this.

Yesterday I did the sequence as he had suggested, namely

1) Press the start button, no Brake pedal
2) Press EV Button
3) Press Brake Pedal and Start Button

I then, I ...
4) Select ECO Mode
5) Shift to Drive
6) pedal down to Regen B0

Since the outside temperature was 4'C last night, I turned on the Cab Heater and to my happy surprise, the ICE never kicked in.

So thank you drwho.

For those members reading this wondering why I and others go thru all this nonsense when starting our car and why not just let the car do it's thing.

Please try understand that I do this because I want to drive my car in EV Mode for as far and as long as I can because the price of gasoline is very expensive and I can drive in EV for 1/4 of the cost of using Gasoline.

Members that choose to let the car do it's thing or to drive the Car as a Hybrid, so be it, you are free to do as you wish.

Those that say that the Engine needs to run, I say.

The engine will kick in soon enough in a few weeks when the temp drops to below -0'C and may continue to run right thru the Winter weather where we get temps lower than -30'C and at times -40'C.

In closing (for now) I want say that I do appreciate all the knowledgeable information that is posted in this Forum and I trust that many Members will learn a thing or two but in the end it is up to each Member to decide to Drive their vehicle in the manner that they choose to.

Andre

Last edited:
I don't believe that drwho implied that the Battery Capacity increases with driving.

He merely stated that when he first received his car that he only got 55kms on a full charge, in other Threads drwho did state that by driving more trips, that he started to get 85kms, which was higher than the 64kms stated by Mitsubishi.

I also have stated that my range has averaged 95/100 kms per 100% Charge. I also drive my car from 100% to 0% to get a true range, once or twice a month, generally tho I will drive my car till the Battery Level gets down to 20 to 25% or 10 to 15 of driving range left on the Battery because I drive a minimum of 14 kms per day, everyday. I charge overnight on 110vac sometimes on 240vac depending on how early in the morning I leave my house.

My goal after getting my PHEVs (3rd one is 2024 GT) has always been and will continue to be to drive my car as much as I can in EV only Mode.

I owe drwho a debt of gratitude for suggesting to me to consider changing my start up sequence.

I used to Press the EV Button then Start with Bake Pedal depressed and the ICE used to start up when I turned on the interior Heater. I hated this.

2) Press EV Button

I then, I ...
4) Select ECO Mode
5) Shift to Drive
6) pedal down to Regen to B0

Since the outside temperature was 4'C last night, I turn on the Cab Heater and to my happy surprise, the ICE never kicked in.

So thank you drwho.

For those members reading this wondering why I and others go thru all this nonsense when starting our car and why not just let the car do it's thing.

Please try understand that I do this because I want to drive my car in EV Mode for as far and as long as I can because the fuel of gasoline is very expensive and I can drive in EV for 1/4 of the cost of using Gasoline.

Members that choose to let the car do it's thing or to drive the Car as a Hybrid, so be it, you are free to do as you wish.

The engine will kick in soon enough in a few weeks when the temp drops to below -0'C and may continue to run right thru the Winter weather where we get temps lower than -30'C and at times -40'C.

In closing (for now) I want say that I do appreciate all the knowledgeable information that is posted in this Forum and I trust that many Members will learn a thing or two but in the end it is up to each Member to decide to Drive their vehicle in the manner that they choose to.

Andre
I'm very happy that the start sequence worked out for you as well, Andre. I was surprised myself when I tested it both ways and finally got the engine to stop kicking in.
My wife and I also have the same philosophy as you on the reasons/methodology of using this Outlander PHEV vehicle that we've bought.
Today we used about an eighth of a tank of gas, as we had a130km round trip to our eldest daughters place and I set the battery usage to Save when it got down to about 25% charge left and it held it there. I wasn't totally sure if this was the best thing to do, but I'm still experimenting with various procedures.
And yo are correct that I wasn't suggesting that the battery capacity was increasing from usage. Just that the usage was becoming more efficient as the system read and stored my driving and usage data.
I find this car is just so easy to drive.
All the best,
Dave
Btw, the powers that be are still holding my posts for about a day before posting them in order to approve them, so there's a delay in my replies.

2) Press EV Button

I then, I ...
4) Select ECO Mode
5) Shift to Drive
6) pedal down to Regen B0

Since the outside temperature was 4'C last night, I turned on the Cab Heater and to my happy surprise, the ICE never kicked in.

So thank you drwho.

Please try understand that I do this because I want to drive my car in EV Mode for as far and as long as I can because the price of gasoline is very expensive and I can drive in EV for 1/4 of the cost of using Gasoline.

Andre
I am awfully sorrry for responding to your post in my way of understanding.

I am a new owner of OUtlander PHEV for 2 months only. And my personal tendency on the new thing is that I dig out all the hidden theoratical background, such as, why do they do that, why it happenes like this, etc. Even in a short time, I've learned much of technical and theorical background of HEV and PHEV, by doing a concentrated search.

When I write a single sentence, I already spend a few hours to find the theoretical knowledge on each phynomina. Practically, I'd rather to find the reason why it happens. If you like your car the way it is, it's not a problem at all. However, my find on the technical or theoretical knowledge would help you understand why the car responds with such result, instead of just drive and see. I never think about to be critic on EV distance what you get. I just expressed how the EV distance became longer, in the manner of theoretical consideration. I strongly believe the Engineers capability to design the software is far beyond from regular people's knowledge in general. So, I would like to keep the car as designed. Also I strongly believe that if we are backed up with the knowledge with depth, we can alter anything according to the knowledge, disregarding the engineers design. I found the odd design of CHAdeMO in this car. I found the reason why they designed the charging port like this. I have an evidence which is the result of self pride in the car business and the result of lazyness of recoverying their mistake.

I still wonder of your choice of EV selection manually. The reason why I wonder is not because of not believing in you, but because I cannot find any technical background of this situation. According to the mechanism I've learned so far about HEV and PHEV, those cars are moving by the Electric motor all the time(100% while driving), disregarding our selection. When the battery gets low, ICE does just charge the battery. Disregarding we choose EV or not, the car has power from motor and motor uses electricity from battery. Selection EV cannot prevent ICE running when the battery goes low instantly or will be low in the future according to the computer calcualtion. According to your expression, EV selection eliminates the ICE using and you want to extend the use of motor power. However, it is only available when the battery has a certain level of energy. If the battery level is high enough then car is running EV mode automatically without displaying anything. Selecting EV in front, the computer has to calculate battery level first because EV need a certain level of charge. Maybe running the generator could be the first sequence to check the battery level, instead charging itself. I am just guessing. EV selection has different purpose, not keeping use of motor for longer EV distance, not like your expection. So, the use of EV mode is when you drive a certain road where you want to keep quite, with the condition of enough battery level. Usually, we SAVE(Hold) battery level before we encounter this spot, and then, we approach the quite driving area, we select EV. The car will not kick the ICE until battery level goes down to minimum. If the battery level is high enough, the car moves without kicking ICE without selection of EV, unless other 12v system requires high drain of power before we notice. This is the situation I can imagine when and how to use EV mode in PHEV. Since the car is always in EV mode. Don't think that ICE moves the car.

Only the exception of using motor alone is that when we intentionally put the car in Parallel mode. In parallel mode, the car use ICE and Electric motor at the same time. Still controlled by the computer precisely. But even in this case, still Electric motor produces torque to move the car. According to my paperthick knowledge, your way of starting the car to prevent ICE kicking is related with software, which controls the level of battery charge. Purpose of the charging battery is not only for the motor running but also for the 12V system running. If the ICE kicks when starting, computer is trying to charge the battery for calculating the forthcoming use of energy. EV selection requires a certain level of charge, the computer software already programmed for calculating future use of battery, such as EV(not limited to this but veriety range of battery use), and not limited instant use of energy. This is safety concept for battery protection. If the 12V system and Motor requires the maximum drain in the future, the computer must prepare from the beginning, considering charging speed cannot take over the battery drain speed, in unknown circumstances. So the computer is considering all possible worst seanario, and does the safety circuit preparation. If without selecting EV in front and the battery is full, still ICE is kicking, it looks like glitch of software, based on my rearch or high use of HVAC. or outside temp. I prefer start the as per user manual. Any selection will be followed for not interupping computer software regular flow.

Maybe I am wrong now, but I am approaching to the happenings in such a way and still there is a chance to correct it if I find another theoratical knowledge. So the knowledge expends wider.

Somehow, I push you guys to take my way of approaching, by explanation of the theorical background, it is not the right way to talk with you. Knowing the background knowledge is up to you, now. Wheather you want to know the core or not, the car is moving forward without any problem. If you are uncomfortable, I gurantee no more posting in this way.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
I have never tried to start in EV mode. Why? Never had the need to. I start as I would any other car. Get in; push the start button; put my car in reverse ( parked in the garage) and once out but it into D and go.

My car automatically drives off in EV mode without me having to touch any button. When I see the battery get to 3/4 or less I select B4 or B5 and when it is exhausted ( and I on a longer trip) it kicks in automatically and uses 'series' mode alternating between battery and generator. If I kick it hard to pass, the engine kicks in. One thing I have notices is that (like others have mentioned) it remains using tjr ICE unless I stop ( say at the lights) and while I wait it stops, when I pull off it starts using the battery again and very seldom goes back to the engine
What I am saying I never use the EV button. it is even in an awkward position as far as I am concerned.. There are at times I will use 'SAVE' if I am on the highway and now and then 'CHARGE' if I think I am going to need it because of heavy stop/go traffic coming into the city, but apart from that I drive.

I do monitor my fuel consumption from one fill to the next (Allways top up when I get to 1/4 or less and get on average over 900 km to a 3/4 tank or always less than $50 Cnd. I just enjoy driving it, and washing it and keep it shining. (Red)

I'm sure we will all develop similar but different PHEV usage styles. Sounds like you have a nice simple method of operation.
The main different between our styles is that we don't wash our cars much, well, not at all really. We'll might take it to a basic detailer once or twice a year. We'll see.

Very enjoyable cay to drive tho ... comfortable, relaxing, tons of thrust if you need it. It is such a nice car to drive when stuck in stop and go traffic. I was on EV and using the one-pedal drive and 30 minutes of S&G went by easily. Most relaxed I've ever been in that kind of traffic.
Now that's an exceptional vehicle! We actually covered ten kms and only used 2kms of battery.

I have never tried to start in EV mode. Why? Never had the need to. I start as I would any other car. Get in; push the start button; put my car in reverse ( parked in the garage) and once out but it into D and go.

My car automatically drives off in EV mode without me having to touch any button. When I see the battery get to 3/4 or less I select B4 or B5 and when it is exhausted ( and I on a longer trip) it kicks in automatically and uses 'series' mode alternating between battery and generator. If I kick it hard to pass, the engine kicks in. One thing I have notices is that (like others have mentioned) it remains using tjr ICE unless I stop ( say at the lights) and while I wait it stops, when I pull off it starts using the battery again and very seldom goes back to the engine
What I am saying I never use the EV button. it is even in an awkward position as far as I am concerned.. There are at times I will use 'SAVE' if I am on the highway and now and then 'CHARGE' if I think I am going to need it because of heavy stop/go traffic coming into the city, but apart from that I drive.

I do monitor my fuel consumption from one fill to the next (Allways top up when I get to 1/4 or less and get on average over 900 km to a 3/4 tank or always less than $50 Cnd. I just enjoy driving it, and washing it and keep it shining. (Red)
Perfect. You are the first guy who use this car as if you have professional knowledge on PHEV. The EV exists for whom want to drive quietly in some area. It is EV effect for a certain people's interesting. Not for everyone. Engineers must announce if there is small positive side effect on their production. No more than that. Still it requires hidden role of main computer's precise calculation.

Good Luck to you.

Back