Hi

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drwho

I live in Mississauga which is in the Toronto GTA. We bought a 2024 Outlander PHEV GT Premium, 3 months ago, as we wanted to lower our fuel costs while in retirement and we just decided that it was a good idea to stop burning gasoline.
I don't really think my lack of gas usage will have much effect on the environment tho, as we personally know at least 5-6 families that have purchased a new vehicle in the last year and they have all bought Gas cars. Hmm ...
But we are still very happy with our choice, we enjoy the car, it drives very well, and we like not having to buy gas very often. It's the best car I've ever had to drive in stop and go traffic. specifically in EV mode with one pedal driving.
Happy motoring.

I live in Mississauga which is in the Toronto GTA. We bought a 2024 Outlander PHEV GT Premium, 3 months ago, as we wanted to lower our fuel costs while in retirement and we just decided that it was a good idea to stop burning gasoline.
I don't really think my lack of gas usage will have much effect on the environment tho, as we personally know at least 5-6 families that have purchased a new vehicle in the last year and they have all bought Gas cars. Hmm ...
But we are still very happy with our choice, we enjoy the car, it drives very well, and we like not having to buy gas very often. It's the best car I've ever had to drive in stop and go traffic. specifically in EV mode with one pedal driving.
Happy motoring.
I know the feeling. Some people are just very uncomfortable with the term global warming.You can't do more than your best....but please keep doing it!!

I own a 2019 model. At first I had no emotional connection with the car at all. (Is it weird having an emotional connection with a car?) I just wanted to contribute to a better environment. But the car has grown on me. It's a very smooth car, also on longer trips towing a tent trailer. I drive 90% of the time in EV mode. This combined with a PV system at home and free charging at work makes it very economical. I will never go back, will perhaps even switch to full EV...But not in the coming 5 years.. ;) ...

I know the feeling. Some people are just very uncomfortable with the term global warming.You can't do more than your best....but please keep doing it!!

I own a 2019 model. At first I had no emotional connection with the car at all. (Is it weird having an emotional connection with a car?) I just wanted to contribute to a better environment. But the car has grown on me. It's a very smooth car, also on longer trips towing a tent trailer. I drive 90% of the time in EV mode. This combined with a PV system at home and free charging at work makes it very economical. I will never go back, will perhaps even switch to full EV...But not in the coming 5 years.. ;) ...
Hi Haenzel.
We also like the thought of doing our part for the environment, it just makes sense these days with what's going on globally.
And it would also be about 5 years before we would consider and all electric vehicle. The infrastructure just isn't there.

Hi DrWho- Happy to hear you have joined us with your 2024 model. I have a 2020 model and coming up for 4 years and 72,000 km I am still happy with it even though I was hoping t get a better range out of it. We travel weekly on the QEW and my current range is around 30/32 km and we do a round trip from Niagara to Burlington regularly .
My question to you is : What is your current EV only range? Obviously I use gas but only on this regular run. Looking forward to your reply?

Hi DrWho- Happy to hear you have joined us with your 2024 model. I have a 2020 model and coming up for 4 years and 72,000 km I am still happy with it even though I was hoping t get a better range out of it. We travel weekly on the QEW and my current range is around 30/32 km and we do a round trip from Niagara to Burlington regularly .
My question to you is : What is your current EV only range? Obviously I use gas but only on this regular run. Looking forward to your reply?
Hi BruceHF

I hope that DrWho can reply soon but till he does I would like to report experience, if you do not mind.

I traded in my 2022 PHEV -Gt for the 2024 PHEV - GT on April 8, 2024.

I do drive mainly in the city, am surrounded by school Zones in Winnipeg and usually travel 24 to 24 kms per day, my routes are similar with slight deviations.

I always start my car by
1)Pressing the Brake Pendal and pushing Start Button
2) Press the EV button
3) Select ECO Mode
4) Shift to Drive
5) Pedal down to B-0

With the HVAC off and driving under 60kms. I have been averaging 95/100 km/hr

Occasionally when the ICE starts up and out of the blue, as soon as I can do safely, I pull over, turn off the car and restart it as per my previous sequence.

Below is a recent screen shot of my Screen.

A picture is worth a thousand words.20241010_180509.jpg

I should getting 95/100 km/h again on this charge if I continue to just drive in the city.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy your PHEV

Last edited:
Hi Bruce, thanks for the welcome.
We get about 85-90 kms out of a 100% charge, but we only charge it fully a couple of times per month. The rest of the time we charge to between 80% and 90% and this gives us a 70 to 80 km range on electric only with the car set to EV and ECO mode.

Contrary to PHEV07, I first push the start button, then push the EV button, Then push the brake and start the car. This method stops the ICE from coming on unless you accelerate hard or apparently if you use the heater, but I haven't personally tested the heater thing yet.

When I start the car as PHEV07 does, full on first, the ICE keeps kicking in to charge the battery or whatever. Both PHEV07 and myself are impressed by the EV mileage we get, as the brochure said we would only get 61kms on electric only. I think the system must read and store our driving style info and then adjust the range accordingly, but I'm just guessing on this.
Hope this helps.
Dave

Hi BruceHF

I hope that DrWho can reply soon but till he does I would like to report experience, if you do not mind.

I traded in my 2022 PHEV -Gt for the 2024 PHEV - GT on April 8, 2024.

I do drive mainly in the city, am surrounded by school Zones in Winnipeg and usually travel 24 to 24 kms per day, my routes are similar with slight deviations.

I always start my car by
1)Pressing the Brake Pendal and pushing Start Button
2) Press the EV button
3) Select ECO Mode
4) Shift to Drive
5) Pedal down to B-0

With the HVAC off and driving under 60kms. I have been averaging 95/100 km/hr

Occasionally when the ICE starts up and out of the blue, as soon as I can do safely, I pull over, turn off the car and restart it as per my previous sequence.

Below is a recent screen shot of my Screen.

A picture is worth a thousand words.View attachment 1501

I should getting 95/100 km/h again on this charge if I continue to just drive in the city.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy your PHEV

We are here again. I am a new owner of Outlander PHEV. It's been a couple of months to be acquainted. During the time, I'm getting familiar to the concerns of the each car owners and have learned a lot from their experiences.
Unfortunately, there exists a different option from what I have learned so far from the other post.
1. Hybrid including PHEV naturally engages EV driving if there remains enough power in battery until module reads energy level is good for next one mile of Battery driving. If the driver wants to run under EV mode, no need to select EV when start or normal driving with a certain level of energy in battery. It is clear that EV is not available when battery level is minimum.
2. It is important to understand that battery charge level determines most of the selections, selected functions, such as, heater, A/C, Series, Parallel, ETC. Just keep in mind that PHEV,s extra advantages are solely available when battery level is above minimal. Otherwise, it runs exactly as same as HEV.
3. We usually understand that HEV doesn't requires driver's maneuvers except Sport and ECO mode. It is same to PHEV, except longer EV distance or parallel.
4. You need to understand correctly what is Series and what is Paralel in PHEV. We have to understand what is the purpose of each functions and what are necessary and enough conditions for each modes to be activated.

Based on these 4 reasons, I thought we do not need to set EV mode intentionally, when we want to drive under normal or Eco mode, because the vehicle is moving with Electric motor all the time until the Battery level goes down to minimum level.

Can you explain if there is special purpose or functions why you manually select Ev? Please teach me, if you don't mind?

I wonder why you pull over the car in the middle of driving in order to restart the car. Can you explain why where I can learn something new?

Series and parallel is the key to the understanding of HEV and PHEV MECHANISM. All buttons and functions are understandable once you understand them properly. I don't mean you don't know them by this express.

Hi Bruce, thanks for the welcome.
We get about 85-90 kms out of a 100% charge, but we only charge it fully a couple of times per month. The rest of the time we charge to between 80% and 90% and this gives us a 70 to 80 km range on electric only with the car set to EV and ECO mode.

Contrary to PHEV07, I first push the start button, then push the EV button, Then push the brake and start the car. This method stops the ICE from coming on unless you accelerate hard or apparently if you use the heater, but I haven't personally tested the heater thing yet.

When I start the car as PHEV07 does, full on first, the ICE keeps kicking in to charge the battery or whatever. Both PHEV07 and myself are impressed by the EV mileage we get, as the brochure said we would only get 61kms on electric only. I think the system must read and store our driving style info and then adjust the range accordingly, but I'm just guessing on this.
Hope this helps.
Dave
It sound mysterious to me. I am 2 months of owning Outlander PHEV. So, I am eager to learn about this car, not for gas mileage but for "Know more, Less trouble". Frankly speaking, the numbers in spec sheet is data from the lab equipment or computer simulation result, to get the final approval from authority for formal announcement. Government is deeply involved in the safe and envirnmental issues of the cars. So, it becomes a just reference data, compare to each individual's actual real number. I envy you have such high EV miles and I guess it is the result of your personal driving habit or the conditon of the road and journey, including the temperature where you live. However, we can compare the quality of the driving battery at lab, by the calculated numbers under same lab condition. According to those numbers, each battery, which is used for a certain model of the car, has different miles per kwh and different DC voltage (High voltage has better electric motor efficiency). Mit battery uses 292 DV, Ioniq battery uses 595 - 695 v DC Also, those battery capacity will be changed by the weight of the car installed. Those numbers should be considered when we buy the EV car, as if we care about gas mileage when we buy ICE cars.

There are official EV mileage data camparision on each cars, not each battery part number, because battery is company confidential. The lowest is 1.5 mile per kwh. The highest is Tesla, 5 miles per kwh, same level is Hyundai EV 4.9 miles per kwh. The reason of different EV miles per each battery is that they have been built in different battery tech level by different battery manufacturers. So, the price of the battery is jumping ups and downs. That is the secret of battery industry. Some car manufacturer design and develop the battery by themselves for their car model but usually they buy from battery manufacturer. Mitsubishi has 2..0 miles per kwh (unknown battery manufacturer). This number shows total EV distance of each model. 12kwh battery will have 24 miles as official EV distance, 13.4 kwh battery will have 26.8 miles and 20kwh battery will have 40 miles. The battery quality is one of the most important factor for sales of the cars. But we do not know the quality of the battery by its mile per kwh only.

The number shown in display cluster is not exact pure EV capacity distance. Capacity and actual run is different concept. Because actual EV run distance is including regen amout while driving. The regen amount is different by the habit of driving. Slow start and slow and steay speed also extends the EV distance. If you drive other cars, you still have higher EV distance than spec sheet because you will drive in the same road and same way of driving. I somehow believe that Setting EV in the beginning has no relation of you high EV distance. According to my knowledge of HEV and PHEV mechanism, not sure it is correct or not, EV motor is the main power source of the moving cars, all the time. After charging at home, disregarding 80% or 100% or 50% of charged level, the car uses Electric motor for moving power source, solely, until the bettery level goes to the bottom. However, there are some exceptions when the car uses ICE for driving power source. ICE has 2 functions. One is for charging the battery and the other is for driving the car. These are separate functions. Sometimes only for generator, sometimes for moving car and sometimes for both. Every case is determined by the main computer software, disregarding whatsoever we select our choices to control the car, even Air Conditioner and heater. In ICE cars, there are not much parts to be protected because it uses 12V system. On the contrary, EV, HWV, PHWV cars have too many part to be protected. 300 VDC - 800 VDC of electricity is very dangerous level and it is beyond of drivers control for safety. Thus, computer software controls all the flow of electricity at every corner of the circuit. It does not allow to exesive use of electricity in certain parts, like heater, cooler, motor and considers the level of charge in the battery.

The car uses the Electric motor for driving the car when you left the garage(Automatically the car engaged in EV driving). If the battery level goes bottom, ICE moves generator to charge the battey. It will stop to charge when computer decides the charged battery is good enough for next one mile of driving. E-motor uses battery continuously. Regen also charge the battery, too. After a certain time, when the battery level goes again to the bottom, ICE starts the charge again. This sequeance will be continued until the end of journey. EV distance will be changed according to the driving style and regen effict.

Then, when is the computer allow us to use ICE for driving? There are so many misunderstanding of this phynomina. If someone want to know correctly, please leave comment. It will be a long story.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
When we first bought the car, it would show an available electric only driving range of about 55kms or so on a 100% battery charge. Now, after 3 months of our driving, it shows an available 85km range on only electric power on a 100% charged battery. That is, of course, without regen figured in.
We check the mileage during this electric only driving time and we end up getting about 70 or 80 kms with 20% battery left. We try not to run the battery down to zero.

Back