EV charging with gasoline

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faridkhanuit

Hi,
Recently I bought used outlander Phev 2013 model,could someone advise
1.how to effectively use charging mode automatically as my battery capacity is not much
As my dial indicator hardly goes to charging zone
2. When to use charging button while running and moving the car or by just in parked position or in short when to use charge button
3.when to use save battery button
4. My earlier understanding was this car will act as hybrid when battery got discharged, but it seems it’s not doing so

Khan

Hi,
Recently I bought used outlander Phev 2013 model,could someone advise
1.how to effectively use charging mode automatically as my battery capacity is not much
As my dial indicator hardly goes to charging zone
2. When to use charging button while running and moving the car or by just in parked position or in short when to use charge button
3.when to use save battery button
4. My earlier understanding was this car will act as hybrid when battery got discharged, but it seems it’s not doing so

Khan
Hi Khan

Welcome to our Forum.

So, when you plug in the Charge Cable to the car and to the power source, does the Charging Unit light up at all? If yes can you plz post a photo of this.

If the Charge Adapter lights up, do you get any indication that the car is charging. Again please post photo of the Dash Display.

If the Battery does receive a charge then car can operate as Hybrid, namely the Electric Motor drives the wheels to get you moving then with no battery energy is in the battery, the ICE will start to charge the battery which in turn drives the wheels.

If the above is working as described then you are in Hybrid mode.

Save Mode.

If the Battery is charging and you have reserve with some drive range and the Battery Level is say 20% and you do not want to deplete the Battery, press the Save and the ICE should start to charge the Battery as it propels the car and the Battery Level should remain at 20% state of Charge.

Charge Mode

In Charge Mode the ICE will usually drive the Front wheels while directing the Generator to charge the battery. This mode is usually used when driving in the highway when one wants to charge while driving so that when one gets to their destination one has enough battery to allow the car to be used in EV Mode only, for city driving. Basically drive it as a PHEV.

Keeping in mind that most of us purchased the PHEV so that we could Drive our Car in EV Mode only, for as long as the Battery allows us to.

Some ppl choose to drive their PHEVs as if they were driving a HEV, or Hybrid EV.

With the PHEV, not only allows ppl to drive in either mode but tge nice thing about the Outlander PHEV is that it can also be driven as a FWD by pressing the Charge Button at high speeds and cruising instead of Accelerating.

Last edited:
Hello thank you for your time and reply…

When charging cable inserted in the plug-in.. it’s charging…offcourse…since my car old model it only charge for few kms lets say 25 kms only…

I got some clarity with your above explaination…

Please advise if I need to drive on high ..are you saying I have to press charging button??always??? As when I pressed it engine load increases…saving button I understand to save the battery power…untill now I just drive in hybrid mode I guess after finishing the battery charging…as I cannot charge in plug in everyday…sine I have voltage of only 100 v at my home

Hello thank you for your time and reply…

When charging cable inserted in the plug-in.. it’s charging…offcourse…since my car old model it only charge for few kms lets say 25 kms only…

I got some clarity with your above explaination…

Please advise if I need to drive on high ..are you saying I have to press charging button??always??? As when I pressed it engine load increases…saving button I understand to save the battery power…untill now I just drive in hybrid mode I guess after finishing the battery charging…as I cannot charge in plug in everyday…sine I have voltage of only 100 v at my home
Very glad to hear that your Battery is still accepting a charge. Still having driving range of 25kms for an 11 year PHEV is very good. At what outside temperature are you getting this range?

You may be able to have this range increased if you try a few procedures available for your 2013 to try to reset your battery. Procedure is available on this site, just need to do a search

Back to your questions.

You say that the voltage at your home Wall Outlet is only 100V? Are you using a meter to check this, if yes please check a few other outlets in your home. Voltage should be between 110 - 120VAC, depending on the Country one lives in.

Where do you reside? I notice from your photo that you have Right Hand drive.

Since you have a driving range of 25kms, I personally would drive your car in EV Mode thru the city and when the Battery is depleted, allow it to drive in Hydid Mode Using EV Mode will cost you at least 1/4 the price of fuel when driving thru the city.

Now if part of your drive is in the highway, I would use EV mode thru the city and once I hit the highway at speeds over 90kmh I would press the Charge Button and revert back to EV Mode once I was driving in the city again.

Other Members may suggest to drive your Car in Hybrid mode and that is their choice, but the Outlander PHEV is not an HEV, so why not drive it as a PHEV? Like I said, it is their choice.

For me, since I purchased a PHEV I do have a choice of using EV mode, ECO and B0 regen, for as long as the Battery Level will allow me. This I believe is the least costly way to drive the PHEV and the best way to try to do our part in trying to be a bit friendlier to our Enviroment.

Hope this makes sense

Last edited:
Back