Drive-in movie theatre - recommendation?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there,

This is my first EV type vehicle. Curious what people are doing at Drive-in movie theatres with the outlander PHEV (I have a 2024) .

Gas engines it was always easy, just put the keyed ignition back one setting to keep radio only on, or in push start vehicles, hit the button once to keep radio on and then start the vehicle in between movies, or once during.

As the season for that in Canada is starting again, it got me thinking what mode would I put the Outlander in? Would I just leave it fully running in EV only mode if I have sufficient ev battery? or is there a battery mode/setting/ignition I should put it in?

thanks,
The last time I went to drive-in in Montreal was back in the "John Travolta " time. Does Canada still have drive-in?

To update this, I tried everything I could think of to turn off the lights. I couldn't get either the Daytime Running Lights or the main headlights to turn off. I tried putting on the parking brake, I had the car in Park, and I tried starting the car without my foot on the brake. The version of light switch I have in my Outlander doesn't seem to allow the lights to be extinguished unless you turn off the car. Not a problem for me, but going to a drive in is out.
The parking brake should be applied before one turn the car on, so it should be applied before you shut it off.
Did you do it that way?

if I understand your thoughts, is that I put the vehicle fully on in ready (or maybe push the ev button to keep it in ev) and that wouldn't do anything odd to the vehicle for 90-120mins movie ? If this something you have personally done or just your thoughts on it?
What It might happen!?
I have driven it 5 hours straight in Ready without stopping...;)

The parking brake should be applied before one turn the car on, so it should be applied before you shut it off.
Did you do it that way?
Indirectly. I use Autohold and the car puts the parking brake on automatically. Not sure if it would make any difference to apply the parking brake before I turn off the car. The brake is on when I start the car. I don't think there is any sequence that will allow me to have the car in Ready mode with out either the DRL or the headlights being on. I can't find a way to turn them off while parked and in ready.

Indirectly. I use Autohold and the car puts the parking brake on automatically. Not sure if it would make any difference to apply the parking brake before I turn off the car. The brake is on when I start the car. I don't think there is any sequence that will allow me to have the car in Ready mode with out either the DRL or the headlights being on. I can't find a way to turn them off while parked and in ready.
Yep the parking brake should be already activated when you turn on the vehicle, like you are already doing but I don't know about that auto hold parking brake activation.

Yep the parking brake should be already activated when you turn on the vehicle, like you are already doing but I don't know about that auto hold parking brake activation.
Auto hold will set the parking brake. It took me a while to realize why my parking brake was set and I didn't remember doing it. In fact I think I posted on a forum asking about how my brake was coming on, and some nice member filled me in. Forums are great.

Hi there,

This is my first EV type vehicle. Curious what people are doing at Drive-in movie theatres with the outlander PHEV (I have a 2024) .

Gas engines it was always easy, just put the keyed ignition back one setting to keep radio only on, or in push start vehicles, hit the button once to keep radio on and then start the vehicle in between movies, or once during.

As the season for that in Canada is starting again, it got me thinking what mode would I put the Outlander in? Would I just leave it fully running in EV only mode if I have sufficient ev battery? or is there a battery mode/setting/ignition I should put it in?

thanks,
I went to the drive in last night. The only way to have the car be dark was tot turn it off completely. The radio would work for ten minutes and then turn off. So every ten minutes I had to turn on the car which had to annoy everyone around me. Then it started raining and u couldn’t use the wipers.

I love this car, but it sucks for a drive in movie.

When you say "The only way to have the car be dark", are you referring to instrument lights, or headlights?

If it is the instrument panel, there is a small switch, that can dim the panel lights.
(Small stalk at the base of one of the main gauges, behind the steering wheel.)

If it is the headlights etc. mine can be disabled by twisting the stalk from 'auto' to off.

I'm jealous that you still have drive in movie theatres.

Back