Charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nichola14

Hi
I have recently got my outlander last week & still finding my feet with it, the dealer advised no need to get an outside charge point as I have a socket near my front door & could post the lead through the letter box, however the gun does not fit through the letter box. Is there any way of taking it apart to fit it through the letter box then re put it back together or does the gun lead part unscrew from the full complete lead box that is standard with the car? I have tried to unscrew this but not wanted to incase it is not meant to come apart from the box bit that connects to the main plug.
Thanks

Nichola14 said:
Hi
I have recently got my outlander last week & still finding my feet with it, the dealer advised no need to get an outside charge point as I have a socket near my front door & could post the lead through the letter box, however the gun does not fit through the letter box. Is there any way of taking it apart to fit it through the letter box then re put it back together or does the gun lead part unscrew from the full complete lead box that is standard with the car? I have tried to unscrew this but not wanted to incase it is not meant to come apart from the box bit that connects to the main plug.
Thanks

Hi Nicolola14

Can you get the plug through rather than the gun? Are you in need of a dedicated charge point, or could you run a 13A extension from somewhere better that through your letter box?

Reading between the lines, I think you're just unscrewing the cord sealing grip. That won't release the cable, which is terminated inside the charging box. If you want to undo the box, this is what you'll see:

15q5454.jpg

Mains entering at the top.
You WILL invalidate your warranty, and you'll need a security screwdriver bit, and a lot of levering! Then a load of gunk to re-seal it.
(And I didn't do it, wasn't me, wasn't there, a big boy made me do it, then ran away) ;)

Another thought: What about getting a local electrician to put a 13A weatherproof socket outside? Lot cheaper than a full EV charge point.

Hi thanks for the reply, it won't fit through the letter box the plug nor that gun, I was thinking if I could undo the gun it would possibly fit through the letter box then I could put it back together & have the gun through the letter box permantely.
I am also not too sure on what you need to charge at local charge points ie Asda motorway places, & I would need another connector to be able to charge at these points. Do you need to have some sort of card to pay to use these charging points?
Thanks

Nichola14 said:
Hi thanks for the reply, it won't fit through the letter box the plug nor that gun, I was thinking if I could undo the gun it would possibly fit through the letter box then I could put it back together & have the gun through the letter box permantely.
I am also not too sure on what you need to charge at local charge points ie Asda motorway places, & I would need another connector to be able to charge at these points. Do you need to have some sort of card to pay to use these charging points?
Thanks

Some of the public charge points use a standard 3 pin connection, so you would want to carry the existing lead with you in the car - also if you visit friends/relatives - otherwise you would have to buy a duplicate. Either go for the external socket, as above, a heavy duty extension lead or a cat flap? :idea:

You will need a type 1 to type 2 connector (plenty of choice if you Google) but weigh up the benefit in petrol saved against cost for most other charge points except the Rapid Chargers (IKEA & motorway) which have their own fixed cable. You will need an Ecotricity card for these or Source London if you live in the Capital. Other cards depend on where you live.

Re the suggestion of an external socket (which is what I am going to do).

This is very easy to wire up but looking at the charger now that my car has arrived I am concerned out this being outside (and the cable is so short at the socket end that it would be no matter where I place it.

I'm thinking that snowfall on it will not be a good thing.

Anyone any idea on how waterproof these are meant to actuallly be?

We have a simple external 13A socket near where the PHEV is parked. The charging cable lives outside and is only taken in if we are away or take it with us. It seems to be OK so far.

I'm far more concerned about the really poor weather protection given to the car input sockets. The car has to be parked with the car sockets facing the prevailing wind and rain, ie SW. I feel sure they could have given it a bit more basic rain shielding...I'm thinking of getting a piece of polythene and forming a tent over the hatch/socket area using magnetic strips or similar.

The external socket is a double and the other half is used for a battery conditioner/charger for my MG, whose battery dies if not kept topped up. It's a common MG thing I am told! :roll: The MG has been garaged in the past but house renovation prevents that at present.

Maybe, but to me water and electricity should be kept further apart than they appear to be.

Especially 300V DC !!! (Yes I know that's only at fast charge points at motorway services in the UK.)

Charged my PHEV while travelling on holiday, at a powered camp site. Car end was in the weather. Had rain during the recharge and no faults appeared. Just placed the controller under the car out of the mud. The AC lead on my unit is 4m long now, and is a great mod. Standard cord with the 0.5m lead is just soooo lame. Just forcing users to use an extension cord with more weather proofing problems. I just turn OFF the power before unplugging. There are relays inside the car that isolate the socket from the internals of the car and these disconnect with a full recharge, as well as loss of AC power. I have had an earth leakage disconnect on a previous PHEV, but so far my latest has no recharging problems. We don't have the fast charge option in AUS, so can't comment on the weather proof aspects of it.

Where did you get your device from? Or did you modify it yourself?

According to the official standard (at least the one we have over here), the grid side lead of a mode 2 EVSE charge cable should be no longer than 30 cm. I think this is a US thingy where it is less common to have proper circuit breakers in household installations. But yet, it is good for people to understand that if the grid side lead of there mode 2 cable is longer than 30 cm, it may not be compliant.

BTW: Mine is neither, as my cable has all the electronics tucked away in the car plug and hence the full 7.5 meters of cable is grid side :mrgreen:

gwatpe said:
The AC lead on my unit is 4m long now, and is a great mod. Standard cord with the 0.5m lead is just soooo lame. Just forcing users to use an extension cord with more weather proofing problems

Now that is a useful modification and one I will be doing straight away. Looking on-line, it would seem that one of the easiest ways to do this is to buy a 10 or 15 metre (or longer) extension cable and nick the first 3 or 4 metres off it! You get 4 metres for the Gwatpe-Mod and an extension lead to use for other times. Maybe bright orange . . . . ?

I'm still concerned that the charger block will not like snowfall (ie being totally covered).

I intend to use an IP66 socket, that will be fine I am sure but the charger I have concerns over and the cable at the socket end is so short there is not really much you can do there.

One option is to add an extension cord (I have a load of artic cable going spare so that would work and have the actual box under the wheel arch but I just wonder is anyone has in effect had the charger submerged with no issues or not?

Another option would be to box in the external socket or put it it a proper enclosure that has plenty of room for the charger as well. CPC I know do a range of these.

Be careful opening the charger. It is cemented closed with a rubber compound and there is a connection inside that is easily destroyed by levering it open..

Jaapv, My previous post on this thread shows the charge box open. What connector are you referring to? I didn't see anything that could be remotely susceptible to damage. I agree, you shouldn't open the box, but if people want to take the risk on themselves in order to make their own installation safer, by lengthening the mains lead, I don't see a problem.

I opened mine as it was broken anyway (No guaranty, there had been too much pull on the cable through a stupid mistake (not mine ;))), it was next to impossible to break it open because of the rubber cement and I broke the black cable off the print with the levering screwdriver. Impossible to resolder. Total loss.

I see. Yes, if that came off, it would be problematical. So, people, you have been warned - it's entirely your decision. But at least you now know where that lead is! :eek:

Surely the easiest way to extend the main lead if you don't care what end is to remove the plug and attach a longer cable with a suitible joining connector.

raymie said:
I'm still concerned that the charger block will not like snowfall (ie being totally covered).

I intend to use an IP66 socket, that will be fine I am sure but the charger I have concerns over and the cable at the socket end is so short there is not really much you can do there.

One option is to add an extension cord (I have a load of artic cable going spare so that would work and have the actual box under the wheel arch but I just wonder is anyone has in effect had the charger submerged with no issues or not?

Another option would be to box in the external socket or put it it a proper enclosure that has plenty of room for the charger as well. CPC I know do a range of these.

There is quite a variety of this sort of thing available;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=water+proof+electrical+box&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=46615753719&hvpos=1t6&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=10434716182049150013&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_108jwlkrff_b

I've been using a few 'Dribox' of various sizes outdoors in all weathers for some years for Christmas decorations with no ingress of water whatsoever.

JimB

Back