Charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The charger is completely sealed and imo should even stand submersion ( yes- I have opened one - with little success (see another thread)). I have had it under a foot of snow a number of times and there were no problems.

This is industrial-type gear that has had to pass all kinds of certifications in all countries where the car has been sold. It is not to be expected that it is built like a toy.

Surely it's not a charger.

Isn't it just a box containing a relay and maybe a current limiter? Supposed to be hung on a hook too to reduce the chance of cable entry strain. Mine sits on a pile of housebricks which is conveniently located near the power socket.

It's a bit more complicated than that, tipper. It communicates back and forth with the car's onboard charger to check a load of parameters before connecting, during and at the end of the charge cycle. Although once connected it can probably be thought of as a straight through contactor, with a control wire being monitored.

Tipper said:
Surely it's not a charger.

Isn't it just a box containing a relay and maybe a current limiter? Supposed to be hung on a hook too to reduce the chance of cable entry strain. Mine sits on a pile of housebricks which is conveniently located near the power socket.
That is correct. Mobile Charging Station might be a better description, but somehow it has gained this popular misnomer.

I would say the Mitsubishi supplied brick wit leads it is a Mode 2 Charge Cable, where the cable you use for an untethered charge station is a Mode 3 Charge cable.

In essence, the difference between a Mode 2 Charge cable and a tethered Mode 3 Charge Station is the fact that the box of a Mode 3 step is not portable / has a fixed connection to the grid. And Mode 3 stations are more likely to have backoffice and / or access control functionality, but that has nothing to do with the Mode. Indeed, neither are Chargers where a fast charger truly is a charger.

UK owners looking for a decent cheap outdoor socket or weatherproof power kit / extension lead should get down to Aldi tomorrow;

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-19-nov/product-detail/ps/p/outdoor-socket-kits/

The weatherproof extension lead looks interesting.

I've already got one of the twin sockets mounted outside in our porch and plugged in to a 13 amp socket on the other side of the wall. If you can get to the back of a suitable 13 amp outlet you could hard wire the unit to it as a spur. The construction of my particular wall made that too big a job for me so it's plugged in with its circuit breaker.

JimB

Claymore said:
UK owners looking for a decent cheap outdoor socket or weatherproof power kit / extension lead should get down to Aldi tomorrow;

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-19-nov/product-detail/ps/p/outdoor-socket-kits/

The weatherproof extension lead looks interesting.

I've already got one of the twin sockets mounted outside in our porch and plugged in to a 13 amp socket on the other side of the wall. If you can get to the back of a suitable 13 amp outlet you could hard wire the unit to it as a spur. The construction of my particular wall made that too big a job for me so it's plugged in with its circuit breaker.

JimB

That looks excellent, and just the sort of thing to have in the back of the car for when visiting friends/relatives overnight :) Although how weatherproof really is that extension lead?

Back