Charging while on the Road in Europe

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you missed their English site:

https://my.thenewmotion.com/
When you click the free card link you do indeed land on the Dutch site, but you can go to English again by hitting the Union Jack in the top right hand corner.

I am bringing my PHEV to the Netherlands in August (Can't wait).
I have tried the website above but despite there being a union jack on some pages, on the page to apply for the free card there is no union jack so I too am struggling to order a card from the UK.

Anyway I did write a message on their web form about the problem. If I get a usable response I'll post it here.

Thanks, I have pm'd you my email address.
I am looking forward to spending a couple of weeks exploring the the Netherlands and it would be great to do some of that in EV mode.

Thanks, I will wait for an email. I have booked my accomodation now, staying near Assen and then near Den Helder in August.

I apologies if this subject has been spoken about before but does anyone know if I can use my 13 amp UK charger in Switzerland and France by just adding a normal household adaptor?!

Switzerland is 250v 10 amp
France is 250v 16 amp

My dealer says I need to buy the Swiss and French chargers?!!!

Thanks

Hello

Does anyone know the answer to the above question? Namely:

"can use my 13 amp UK charger in France by just adding a normal household adaptor?!"

I am off to Europe next weekend and was planning on using a 10/16A continental adaptor with my UK plug/cable.

I asked my Mitsubishi dealer last week - entirely separately, my UK cable stopped working and I had it replaced - but they did not know the answer.

Many thanks

Matt

A cheap "household adapter" might or might not survive the 13 amps for a longer periode of time.
I made my adaptors out of good quality plugs and cables and have had zero problems here in Switzerland at 10 or 16 amps.
Many sockets can provide 16 amps (ask a local which ones).

13 amps from a modern 10 amp socket in France shouldn't be a problem (but use good quality plugs!)
The weakest link in the chain usually is the connection!

polo210 said:
I apologies if this subject has been spoken about before but does anyone know if I can use my 13 amp UK charger in Switzerland and France by just adding a normal household adaptor?!

France is 250v 16 amp

Thanks
Your dealer is trying to sell you unneeded stuff. Electrons are electrons all over the universe. Just get a good quality adapter. It does not need to be fused, as European circuits are fused centrally, not at the plug like in the UK.
Or as suggested above make your own. However, all public charging points and most private ones are Mennekes type, so to charge your car you will need a Type1-type2 Mennekes cable and a card from TNM or a local provider who allows roaming in the area that is relevant for you.
Free charging can be had at some larger shops and garden centers, parking garages and public places like airports, and on the Stena Line ferries (apply beforehand). Charging from run-of-the-mill charging points can be a bit expensive.

jaapv said:
polo210 said:

France is 250v 16 amp

Thanks
Your dealer is trying to sell you unneeded stuff. Electrons are electrons all over the universe. Just get a good quality adapter. It does not need to be fused, as European circuits are fused centrally, not at the plug like in the UK.
Or as suggested above make your own. However, all public charging points and most private ones are Mennekes type, so to charge your car you will need a Type1-type2 Mennekes cable and a card from TNM or a local provider who allows roaming in the area that is relevant for you.
Free charging can be had at some larger shops and garden centers, parking garages and public places like airports, and on the Stena Line ferries (apply beforehand). Charging from run-of-the-mill charging points can be a bit expensive.

Agree with this, your dealer is a plonka. Also remember that you can run the 15A charger from a 10A socket but try not to turn much else on :shock: The 15A draws just shy of 10A.

Cheers

NAPpy

Back