Charge mode?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading the above makes me really wonder ????Commom sense should dictate that there is no such thing as power from nothing-ever--its takes one form or another of energy to deliver the required power for any purpose. Its up the the buyer of any machine to determine the power required to do any particular job.. No need at all for rocket science--plaing common sense--Come on gentlemen --get serious--get inroi the real world and consider the future and all that is happening and delevoping instead of ranting about something almost everyone understands perfectly well already.

Reading the above makes me really wonder ????Commom sense should dictate that there is no such thing as power from nothing-ever--its takes one form or another of energy to deliver the required power for any purpose. Its up the the buyer of any machine to determine the power required to do any particular job.. No need at all for rocket science--plaing common sense--Come on gentlemen --get serious--get inroi the real world and consider the future and all that is happening and delevoping instead of ranting about something almost everyone understands perfectly well already.
If "everyone" understood it, forums like this wouldn't exist. We're all trying to help each other out on trying to understand how this vehicle works, and how to use it. The obvious answer is read the manual, I have (three times now I think), and it seems whoever wrote the manual didn't seem to understand it either, not really explaining the how and the why.

After using the car for over a year I'm starting to figure some of it out, but should it take a year (or two, or three)?

You have the option to ignore what you don't want to read. Opinions expressed are meant to help others who may not have your level of knowledge.

The point should not be which mode is most efficient - it should be when to use each mode as they will have different efficiencies through different uses.

It should be obvious that if you have a 50 mile motorway journey followed by 5 miles of urban crawling before being able to plug in again, you should have enough battery left for the urban crawl and can use any combination of Save or Charge to end up at that point. But it should also be obvious that saving 20% of battery capacity for that from what you put in from your home charger is going to work out cheaper than using that on the motorway section and adding it back in through Charge mode, simply because adding it as Charge is less efficient. All of those details add up to how to get the best overall efficiency, although what you really care about is lowest cost. If plugging in to charge is more expensive, you'd be stupid to do it, even though it's more efficient.

I keep thinking about that who is writing a post on this forum. Is he a engineer? Is he a Mitsubishi Lover? Is he thirsty about knowledge of the new tech? .. I don't know. I am wondering why people saying the same thing repeatedly?

One guy is providing all journey data to prove(or simply show to us), and other guy believes it not needed such a details for a driving a car.

All chaos of the words in this column carrys a ship to the mountain.

All this made by car manufacturer. If we have textbook like "Physics", "Chemicals", "History", Caculus" of highschool, for Mitshubish Outlander PHEV, there will be no debating like this. So called is there one book, User Manual. But it is not for details as we should take it as common sence. There are missing articles of the principles not like out highschool textbook to kill such a debate.

But for me, I can pick up many valuable information from these writings. Nothing to be wasted. All valuable. Because I feel like these made me a PHd on Outlander PHEV.

Cheers,

Again, the Manual can tell you how it works, but it's up to you to decide how to use it based on your journey. Same as you would decide to walk, cycle or take a car, so it is with deciding which Mode to use.

Gas can be cheaper than DC fast charging, the cheapest (by far) is home charging.
Not always. Last winter when my day rate for electricity in the UK was £0.41/kw and petrol was around £1.60/litre, the car's low range in winter meant that it was cheaper to use fuel after the overnight charge at low rate of £0.09 was used up.

Not always. Last winter when my day rate for electricity in the UK was £0.41/kw and petrol was around £1.60/litre, the car's low range in winter meant that it was cheaper to use fuel after the overnight charge at low rate of £0.09 was used up.
Reference is to North American petrol and electricity rates.

The point should not be which mode is most efficient - it should be when to use each mode as they will have different efficiencies through different uses.

It should be obvious that if you have a 50 mile motorway journey followed by 5 miles of urban crawling before being able to plug in again, you should have enough battery left for the urban crawl and can use any combination of Save or Charge to end up at that point. But it should also be obvious that saving 20% of battery capacity for that from what you put in from your home charger is going to work out cheaper than using that on the motorway section and adding it back in through Charge mode, simply because adding it as Charge is less efficient. All of those details add up to how to get the best overall efficiency, although what you really care about is lowest cost. If plugging in to charge is more expensive, you'd be stupid to do it, even though it's more efficient.

i'm no expert but doesn't the petrol engine run as a generator when under 80km/hr or 50mi/hr? add that onto the fact that electric motors are most efficient at low RPM and it'd make the most sense to drive in "EV only" mode below 80km/50mi and "petrol only" mode when going faster than 80km/50mi.

"petrol only" driving the car using the mechanical transmission is the absolute peak efficiency possible from the petrol engine. using the petrol to generate electricity to drive the EV motors is less efficient (10-20% less than direct drive), and when using "charge mode" you lose energy not just at the generator (10%) but also at the battery (around 10%) and again when that energy goes to the EV motors (5-10%). charge mode should be avoided whenever possible.

having said that, anyone obsessed with efficiency should walk or buy a bus ticket, the best way to run a PHEV is with the intent to maximise reliability, frequent cold starts damage petrol engines, which is one of the reasons the engine stays on for a while (which people complain about), oblivious to the fact that the few cents in fuel they're losing is saving them hundreds of dollars in maintenance in the long run, and maintenance costs are the main drawback of PHEVs.

There are 2 more reply on this article already. I totally agree on those 2 people and I would like to add some more garbage information to encourage them.

I am in the top of the car knowledge. So I wonder how high your common sense is on the reached. You are talking about the law of total sum of energy in universe, saying by one form or another of energy. Somebody who does not know such Law of Universe trying to get most of their car by asking us and you are not trying to share your knowledge by say common sense.

Common sense

This is not for you because it is common sense but for who eagerly want to know about PHEV more.

EV and Hybrid has been started 100 years ago but until Elon Musk produce the EV car in the world, it is not realized because of battery technology
EV motor is one of old science by the technology of Fleming's Rule(130 years ago) until production cost per efficiency is acceptable. Tesla is the most famous scientist of Generating Electric from the motor for the fist time using Fleming' Rule. Niagara fall has it. That's why Tesla is the father of Electricity. Many people understand Tesla as name of the car.

Once Lithium Ion becomes useful in real life, Elon started to use it for car. Once the world learns about that Lithium battery can be used for car motor, putting aside EV car, Engineers who have been suffered for low fuel efficiency of ICE cars, invented Hybrid engine, that uses both electric motor and Gasoline engine. They already know Boyle Shale's law in combustion engine is at it maximum efficiency(it started 6% and improved 40% recently, while electric motor efficiency is 80% to 99%), and Engine design and Transmitter tech is in its maximum, too, they want electric motor covers the week point of combustion Engine.

ICE car consuming gas shows worst fuel efficiency when start the car moving and idling when stop at traffic signal. It shows high fuel efficiency during high speed driving with engine design and most advanced transmission. So if they use the electric motor for start the car and stop engine during idling by 12 v electric system supplied by small size of Lithium battery. Toyota produced a Prius as Hybrid car. Frankly speaking, it is expensive because of battery price. Also cannot apply high tech transmission. However, most of the defects have been improved day by day. It proved that Hybrid can save gas a lot even though it has not enough power to apply to SUV.

As time goes by, upon the support of pioneering Elon, battery industry is good enough to supply at lower price of Lithium Battery, though it is still very expensive. However, Mitsubishi applied a little bigger battery to produce a higher power when needed. Considering a Hybrid theory, it is not so much economical in fuel efficiency, but power becomes a sweeet candy for taste. However, because of 2 motors and big battery, the price is too high. But someone who needs big space in the cargo area and as strong as SUV as family car, welcomed this first PHEV. If somebody bought this car for fuel efficiency only, you paid too much, I think. There are ten's of cars with high fuel efficiency in PHEV. Unimaginably high fuel efficiency, I mean.

The bad side of Outlander PHEV is not so strong as other regular SUV's. It becomes heavier and shocks are not so sturdy to endure the weight. However, 2 electric motor is nicely controlled by computer and S-AWC has good reputation. It has good reputation in snow, like Subaru. However it is not good enough on muddy or country stone road as Subaru. Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has been transformed to regular Family SUV, though it does not have luxury options in it category.

So, there are many critics on such a transformed Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. They tried to get the most of the money they spend on the car, but some people get disappointed with flimsy riding, low fuel efficiency, unclarified and complicated multiple controls, minor sensor failures etc. Also, compare to other car manufacturer, the car tech is staying at 2013. Nothing improved. Just a little bigger battery. That's it.

See other car manufacturers. They try their best to take part in or survive from the car market. Toyota became the Leading Hybrid engineering Manufacturer, and Koreans and China are leading battery manufacturer and EV cars. When you experience the modern technics on other cars, you will never go back to old style Mitsubishi again. That is common sense in the world.

Korean car has already V2L function inside. It is not Rocket science. Just a program and Simple Circuit design, because big battery is already inside the car. While, Mitsubishi withdraw 3000w inverter once they invented in 2013. It cost up to US6k for choosing GT model which has internal 120 V outlet. Australian guy know that Outlander has capability to supply power for house, and then they spend $6k(uncertain) to build external V2H. Ford does the same job for V2L V2G V2H already. One guy installed after market OEM inverter but the cost of the parts could be $6k. From now on, by the support from advancing car manufacturers, you will enjoy the car just like a smart phone, emergency generator, if you choose and want it.

Your choice is valuable. Someone would like to stay at ICE for 10 years more, because of lack of battery safety and charging hub system. I agree with that in some way. Some prefer strong SUV for weekend hobby. That's great. Some wants PHEV for easy camping power. Some wants solar system for house emergency power failure. So much high tech products are existing here and there. So, there is no common sense anymore. More detailed information is required for wise survival in this Chaos of Scientific Products. We need to share information even it looks like a feather weight to me, it could be tons of valuable information for other lives.

I have my 2020 RHD model now for 6 weeks , love it, its a beauty and spotless, have it figured out totally, in this time, its a nice -simple -easy to manage vehicle-very efficient-charge it at zero cost from my self installed solar system--do many journeys using NORMAL-SAVE-CHARGE as appropraite-- its our second Hybrid. No manual came with the vehicle , it was a Japenese import--found the manual and user guide plus the network guide online--had then all printed to book form and carry in vehicle. Everything works as it should after a few minor issues--interesting to read all the comments from owners who do not seem to have read the manuals thoroughly or understand battery technology in particular. A good readup on Lithium Iron Phosphate and Solid State batteries ( being perfected by the likes of Toyota) as are coming soon,is worth it , will help anyone get the most and the longest life out of these devices. Ill buy a new Outlander next and I am hoping Mitsubishi continue to update-improve -and re-style as the vehicle evolves. The Outlander is not sold currently in Ireland but there are many imports on the road here.

If "everyone" understood it, forums like this wouldn't exist. We're all trying to help each other out on trying to understand how this vehicle works, and how to use it. The obvious answer is read the manual, I have (three times now I think), and it seems whoever wrote the manual didn't seem to understand it either, not really explaining the how and the why.

After using the car for over a year I'm starting to figure some of it out, but should it take a year (or two, or three)?
Yep I’ve occasionally had some smart arse comments…. Best ignored. What I would say having had the car for a while now is I feel I’m sort of growing into it and getting to know when and where to use each drive function.
Agreed, the manual is daunting !!!

i'm no expert but doesn't the petrol engine run as a generator when under 80km/hr or 50mi/hr? add that onto the fact that electric motors are most efficient at low RPM and it'd make the most sense to drive in "EV only" mode below 80km/50mi and "petrol only" mode when going faster than 80km/50mi.

"petrol only" driving the car using the mechanical transmission is the absolute peak efficiency possible from the petrol engine. using the petrol to generate electricity to drive the EV motors is less efficient (10-20% less than direct drive), and when using "charge mode" you lose energy not just at the generator (10%) but also at the battery (around 10%) and again when that energy goes to the EV motors (5-10%). charge mode should be avoided whenever possible.

having said that, anyone obsessed with efficiency should walk or buy a bus ticket, the best way to run a PHEV is with the intent to maximise reliability, frequent cold starts damage petrol engines, which is one of the reasons the engine stays on for a while (which people complain about), oblivious to the fact that the few cents in fuel they're losing is saving them hundreds of dollars in maintenance in the long run, and maintenance costs are the main drawback of PHEVs.
Yes, absolutely. But you're missing the fact that Charge uses the direct petrol drive to give best efficiency, but at low load there is still some excess power available at Wide Open Throttle, so to make the most of that it goes to the battery, rather than throttle the engine down and lose efficiency.

There are 2 more reply on this article already. I totally agree on those 2 people and I would like to add some more garbage information to encourage them.

I am in the top of the car knowledge. So I wonder how high your common sense is on the reached. You are talking about the law of total sum of energy in universe, saying by one form or another of energy. Somebody who does not know such Law of Universe trying to get most of their car by asking us and you are not trying to share your knowledge by say common sense.

Common sense

This is not for you because it is common sense but for who eagerly want to know about PHEV more.

EV and Hybrid has been started 100 years ago but until Elon Musk produce the EV car in the world, it is not realized because of battery technology
EV motor is one of old science by the technology of Fleming's Rule(130 years ago) until production cost per efficiency is acceptable. Tesla is the most famous scientist of Generating Electric from the motor for the fist time using Fleming' Rule. Niagara fall has it. That's why Tesla is the father of Electricity. Many people understand Tesla as name of the car.

Once Lithium Ion becomes useful in real life, Elon started to use it for car. Once the world learns about that Lithium battery can be used for car motor, putting aside EV car, Engineers who have been suffered for low fuel efficiency of ICE cars, invented Hybrid engine, that uses both electric motor and Gasoline engine. They already know Boyle Shale's law in combustion engine is at it maximum efficiency(it started 6% and improved 40% recently, while electric motor efficiency is 80% to 99%), and Engine design and Transmitter tech is in its maximum, too, they want electric motor covers the week point of combustion Engine.

ICE car consuming gas shows worst fuel efficiency when start the car moving and idling when stop at traffic signal. It shows high fuel efficiency during high speed driving with engine design and most advanced transmission. So if they use the electric motor for start the car and stop engine during idling by 12 v electric system supplied by small size of Lithium battery. Toyota produced a Prius as Hybrid car. Frankly speaking, it is expensive because of battery price. Also cannot apply high tech transmission. However, most of the defects have been improved day by day. It proved that Hybrid can save gas a lot even though it has not enough power to apply to SUV.

As time goes by, upon the support of pioneering Elon, battery industry is good enough to supply at lower price of Lithium Battery, though it is still very expensive. However, Mitsubishi applied a little bigger battery to produce a higher power when needed. Considering a Hybrid theory, it is not so much economical in fuel efficiency, but power becomes a sweeet candy for taste. However, because of 2 motors and big battery, the price is too high. But someone who needs big space in the cargo area and as strong as SUV as family car, welcomed this first PHEV. If somebody bought this car for fuel efficiency only, you paid too much, I think. There are ten's of cars with high fuel efficiency in PHEV. Unimaginably high fuel efficiency, I mean.

The bad side of Outlander PHEV is not so strong as other regular SUV's. It becomes heavier and shocks are not so sturdy to endure the weight. However, 2 electric motor is nicely controlled by computer and S-AWC has good reputation. It has good reputation in snow, like Subaru. However it is not good enough on muddy or country stone road as Subaru. Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has been transformed to regular Family SUV, though it does not have luxury options in it category.

So, there are many critics on such a transformed Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. They tried to get the most of the money they spend on the car, but some people get disappointed with flimsy riding, low fuel efficiency, unclarified and complicated multiple controls, minor sensor failures etc. Also, compare to other car manufacturer, the car tech is staying at 2013. Nothing improved. Just a little bigger battery. That's it.

See other car manufacturers. They try their best to take part in or survive from the car market. Toyota became the Leading Hybrid engineering Manufacturer, and Koreans and China are leading battery manufacturer and EV cars. When you experience the modern technics on other cars, you will never go back to old style Mitsubishi again. That is common sense in the world.

Korean car has already V2L function inside. It is not Rocket science. Just a program and Simple Circuit design, because big battery is already inside the car. While, Mitsubishi withdraw 3000w inverter once they invented in 2013. It cost up to US6k for choosing GT model which has internal 120 V outlet. Australian guy know that Outlander has capability to supply power for house, and then they spend $6k(uncertain) to build external V2H. Ford does the same job for V2L V2G V2H already. One guy installed after market OEM inverter but the cost of the parts could be $6k. From now on, by the support from advancing car manufacturers, you will enjoy the car just like a smart phone, emergency generator, if you choose and want it.

Your choice is valuable. Someone would like to stay at ICE for 10 years more, because of lack of battery safety and charging hub system. I agree with that in some way. Some prefer strong SUV for weekend hobby. That's great. Some wants PHEV for easy camping power. Some wants solar system for house emergency power failure. So much high tech products are existing here and there. So, there is no common sense anymore. More detailed information is required for wise survival in this Chaos of Scientific Products. We need to share information even it looks like a feather weight to me, it could be tons of valuable information for other lives.
What an interesting and wide-ranging discourse. Thankyou. Despite its various minor shortcomings, I still like my Outlander PHEV for its quietness, torque and good handling (by my standards) on twisting roads, due to its two motors, and the way its feel is improved by not having a variable or multi-speed transmission. An intelligent design, even if now a dated one.

Back