Battery Drains Too Fast

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adimus

I have a 2018 with 100K's on it. It fully charges to about 28 miles but it drains far faster than the mileage indicates. Any ideas of what I can do to increase life? I have already done a battery reset at home twice.

You should be happy with 20 miles or so. My us version of 2018 PHEV only last 16 mile lately after the reset and should be lesser when I use heater in fall or winter. But I think Mitsubishi calibrated the 12 kwh batteries different than European model for some reasons.

I bought a 2018 in March 2021. Full battery charge was about 20 USA miles.
Now, 4 years later at 51,000 USA miles, a "full charge" is 16 USA miles.
I guess that sounds about "normal" in postings on this forum. Am I likely to be a valid candidate for a warranty transit battery replacement at some point? Otherwise, I could search around for a service that locates weak cells and replaces them.

In UK the battery warranty in 2018 was 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, and replaced if State of Health is less than 70%. You will need an app to check SOH (not State of Charge) but if you are getting 16 miles you may be in this region. In the US I think you call a car registered in 2017 a 2018 model so you might have run out of time. (P.S US miles is same as Imperial mile which is used globally I think but US gallon is smaller which might be what you were swayed by)

UPDATE. Found a 2018 model warranty document here:
https://www.mitsubishicars.com/cont...y/2018-Mitsubishi-Warranty-Outlander PHEV.pdf
or search for
2018 mitsubishi outlander phev battery warranty US

It says that for PHEV components you have a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty (page 6) and it is 150,000 miles in some states (page 8) but unfortunately it also says on page 10:
MAIN DRIVE LITHIUM-ION BATTERY COVERAGE The Vehicle’s Main Drive Lithium-ion Battery is covered for defects in material and workmanship for 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Gradual capacity loss of the Main Drive Lithium-ion Battery based on time and usage is NOT covered under this warranty.
and on Page 11
NOTE: The capacity of the Main Drive Lithium-ion Battery used as the traction battery on your Vehicle, like other commonly used Lithium-ion batteries, will decrease according to time and usage. This type of decrease in battery capacity is normal, and is not indicative of any defect or failure in your Main Drive Lithium-ion Battery. As the Main Drive Lithium-ion Battery capacity decreases, the initial cruising range of the Vehicle will similarly decrease.

However, the dealer (or home scanners like the ThinkCar OBD scanner) can identify if individual cells have failed which is not a decrease in capacity and is a manufacturing defect of the failed cell.

My 2018 PHEV ( 90k mileage) got about 16 miles after reset, with AC or heater on, it will be a few miles less. Bought brand new in 2018, it was about 21 EV miles new. No warranty in USA model for EV battery like those 70% warranty in Europe. I think Mitsubishi learned their lessons in Europe before launching it USA in 2018.

The problem with this sort of query is you have no way of knowing about how a second hand car has been treated prior the your purchase. Although you don't say what the mileage was in 2021, on a 3 year old car, but 20 miles range doesn't sound very good then. My 2014 model showed 20 miles today despite 73,000 miles on the clock!

Back