2023 Outlander PHEV SEL

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe M

I'm being told that the trailer hitch for the 2023 Outlander PHEV is N.L.A. from Mitsubishi, does anyone have any additional information on this?

I just put a call into the dealer on Friday to get a quote for installation of a hitch and wiring for my 2023. They are supposed to call back tomorrow but they never said that the hitch was NLA. I’ll let you know what I hear back.

Sorry for the long delay! I’ve spoken with the dealer 3 times now and the parts guy can’t seem to ‘find’ the correct hitch. That is even with me giving him the Curt part #!

I have an appt with UHaul to put the hitch on next week. No problems at all with them, it seems. Just hoping no rattle after installation.

I appreciate the follow up, I just had my PHEV in for it's 15,000 mile service and the Service Manager did tell me the main issue is clearance space near the coolant pump and the removal of the rear hatch interior to access the wiring harness.(Estimate of 6 Hours Labor)I'm waiting on the parts department to email me the parts lists for the hitch, fasteners & wiring harness, once I receive this I can send it to you if you like.

Sorry for the long delay! I’ve spoken with the dealer 3 times now and the parts guy can’t seem to ‘find’ the correct hitch. That is even with me giving him the Curt part #!

I have an appt with UHaul to put the hitch on next week. No problems at all with them, it seems. Just hoping no rattle after installation.
I had the 2023 Mitsubishi hitch installed by the dealer. I ordered it with the car, but it took 6 months to get it. It is anchored further back than a normal trailer hitch which makes me think there could be possible issues with the usual mounting points that UHaul would use. I would make sure they are familiar with the layout of the battery, chassis and other parts of the PHEV, especially if they need to drill holes.

I'm in the UK and had a Witter Detachable Swan Towbar (vertical loading) with 7-pin Vehicle Specific Single Electrics (mobile) fitted for just over £700. That includes £35 for fitting!
It works perfectly well - it has a lockable and detachable hitch and swing-down plug.

I've fitted Tow-Trust bars to three very different cars and found them each to be well-designed, well-made, strong, accurate and straightforward to fit.

I was fortunate to find a used TMiT1, complete with dedicated 13-pin electrics, for a bargain price. It had been previously fitted to 2014 and 2019 Outi PHEVs and so I had no problems installing it on my 2017 5hs (UK). New bars are around £200, plus electrics of choice.

I simply followed TT's clear instructions. It took about 4 hours all-in, but this was partly due to a problem I had with a poor wiring connection (my fault) and not being familiar with the removal and refitting of the car's pretty bits. Could be done quicker, I'm sure.

The main component fits out-of-sight behind the plastic bumper, in place of the original impact beam. The design utilises existing mounting holes which meant no further drilling was needed. I prefer a fixed-flange ball fitting, though fixed, swivel and removable swan necks are also available. I found I didn't need to cut into the bumper itself, though that might vary with different car models.

Despite not buying new, I also received excellent support from a Tow-Trust technician, whom I called for reassurance!

Last edited:
Has anyone fitted a dash cam to a 2023 PHEV?
I understand I can get power from the mirror power unit but can't see how to remove the cover on the electrics by the mirror
I understand there is a adaptor available on amazon for around $50
Any help gratefully accepted.

William

Has anyone fitted a dash cam to a 2023 PHEV?
I understand I can get power from the mirror power unit but can't see how to remove the cover on the electrics by the mirror
I understand there is a adaptor available on amazon for around $50
Any help gratefully accepted.

William

I fitted a dashcam, but I added a hardwire kit (<$20 on Amazon) that draws power from the fuse box left of the steering wheel. It's easy to run the power line under the various panels along the roof and down the A pillar and then into the fuse box. My hardwire kit came with a little plastic crowbar to push the wire underneath the panels.

Options to power the dash cam:
1. Permanent On: Use the empty fuse slot near the top of the second column from the left - between the "DOOR LOCK" fuses. You don't even need to tap any existing fuse. This allows you to monitor the car while parked. The hardwire kit will cut the power at a certain voltage to avoid draining the 12V battery too much.
2. Only active while car is powered: Use a different empty slot: left 1st column, 4th from the bottom, between the "AIR BAG" and "(IGN_RUN) ELEC PARTS" fuses.

Make sure the hardwire kit includes a Micro2 fuse adapter and comes wth the correct USB connector for your dashcam (mini USB or USB-C).

Thank you. U-Haul told me 3 hours labor so I do hope they know what they’re doing.
Update: It took 2.5 hours (cost: $550) and I think UHaul did a great job! I will add that it was the Regional Manager who did the install and he’s glad that he had all of his tools with him, as he was only in town for a week training all the new staff. There wasn’t anyone else there who could have done it so always double check! I made the reservation online but it would have been better to go in and talk to them in person, I believe.

We had a camping trip the next day and was worried to go far with a loaded down cargo carrier without a good test of the hitch first, but it is perfect. No rubbing, no noise-solid as a rock. Great install.

I’ll add that the wiring job looks a bit jury-rigged as the wiring and plug are inside the cargo area and stored underneath with the third row. We don’t know if we’ll ever tow a trailer but hopefully it’ll work when needed. It may get pinched with the hatch closed so we shall see.

Attachments

• IMG_1689.jpeg
    IMG_1689.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1690.jpeg
    IMG_1690.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
Back