Won't run in EV mode after fast charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobK

Supporting Member
I wonder if anyone else has experience with this. I have a 2023 and frequently take long highway trips with it. If I can spare the time, I will stop to charge it up at a CHAdeMO fast charger to about 80%. What I find is that the car behaves differently than when I leave home with it fully charged. For the first 5-10 minutes it will not go into EV mode at all, then after that for about 40 minutes, it will frquently drop out of EV mode when going uphill or accelerating. When I use normal mode, it will stay in serial mode (without dropping the charge level of the battery) for about 50 minutes before starting to use EV. I don't recall this happening after I first purchased the car but I noticed it this past winter and it has behaved this way ever since. I have tried it with no airconditioning or heating and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have close to 60K on the car and I wonder if this indicates anything about the shape of the battery. It seems like even though it is charging to 80% the battery is having trouble providing the full amount of current to the motors. The fact that this seems to change over time makes me think it is heat related. Any thoughts?

Like you, my first thought is that fast charging is over-heating the battery, and therefore you have reduced power until it cools down.

Took me a while, but I found this in the manual for mine:

NOTE
Repeatedly performing only quick charging may reduce the battery capacity.
In usual charge, normal charging is recommended.

To maintain the capacity of the drive battery, the following is recommended:

• If you repeatedly perform only quick charging, fully charge the vehicle in normal charging mode every two weeks.
• Do not repeat charging near the full charge level.

The quick charging gives priority when the normal charging and the quick charging are
performed at the same time. At this time, the normal charging will be stopped.

Even if the operation mode of the power switch is OFF, you may hear the operating
sound of the cooling fan for cooling the drive battery during charging.
This is not a malfunction.

I also have 2023 model and there is no way, or reason, why I would plug-in to a CHAdeMO fast charger !

Long trips burns fuel and exercises the engine..
I generally have tried to book my lunch break at a fast charger on long trips - but it isn't very often that a fast (or any) charger is available for many of the places I travel. I probably fool myself that I am contributing a few less molecules of CO2 when I travel this way. It certainly does not make any economic sense because our local chargers bill for time at the charger (at a high rate), not the amount of power used and the Outlander draws slower than most BEVs.
My engine is not lacking for excersize.

Back