Why does my ICE start every time I turn up the heat?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biorider_A

Hey folks,

So, I've been taking my PHEV for a spin for about two weeks and, mostly on short trips in this chilly 4°C weather. Every time I crank up the heat to a cozy 26°C, guess what happens? The ICE starts up like it’s auditioning for a role in a winter survival movie! Is this the new normal?

Hey folks,

So, I've been taking my PHEV for a spin for about two weeks and, mostly on short trips in this chilly 4°C weather. Every time I crank up the heat to a cozy 26°C, guess what happens? The ICE starts up like it’s auditioning for a role in a winter survival movie! Is this the new normal?
What Model year do you have?

Have you tried forcing your car into EV Mode at start up?

Last edited:
Yeah the ICE engine will start up to create heat for the cabin. You can try just setting the heat lower.

I’ve found that my 2020 Outlander will run on EV for the most part around 70F. Around 80F it will run ICE, but still shut off quite a bit. At 85F it runs ICE almost continuously.

Whenever you call for heating at <10°C it brings on the ICE to provide enough heat quickly as the small resistive heater will not do it.

Hey folks,

No, it is how the car is designed. The tolerance between inside and outside is about 9c. It is to preserve excessive use of the battery - simples! 😎

Back