What Settings for Pure EV with No ICE Assist

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drwho

I have a 2024 Outlander PHEV Premium. When I have it on EV and B2 or B5, and ECO, or any other drive mode, the orange engine in the instrument cluster still lights up sometimes. This happens when I have not accelerated hard at any point. How do I set the controls for electric drive use only as my daily usage rarely requires the ICE.
A lot of the times that the engine lights up, it appears to be charging the battery as per the energy flow diagram.
Thanks.
Dave

There is no setting that stops the car from working as a hybrid.

The engine will come on periodically if you select Save, or Charge, or if you run the battery down to the point where the car cannot continue to drive without adding charge.

Other things that will cause the engine to turn on include, speed, load (car and trailer), heating and cooling if the set temperature is sufficiently different to the cabin temperature, and as you have already identified, if more power is required by the user than the battery can provide on its own.

Some users have disabled the engine by pulling relays.

I do not recommend this, as it greatly increases the risk of damaging the car.

(By not maintaining the engine and by forcing the battery to exceed design parameters.)

Thank you for taking the time to reply, but my question is a bit simpler. I'm assuming that when I see the engine light up as Orange that this is the ICE kicking in. The energy flow from it shows that it is charging the battery. This of course is when I'm in EV mode and driving conservatively. It doesn't make sense that when I'm in EV mode that the ICE should start charging the battery.

From my research before buying the car, Mitsubishi has specifically set up the Outlander to be an electric vehicle first, with ICE availability, unlike the other manufacturers of hybrids. So I just wondered that with EV mode selected if there are other drive modes or B regen paddle settings that would stop the ICE from thinking it needs to come on to charge the battery while I'm driving in EV mode.

Also, does that unit in the instrument cluster turning orange really mean that the ICE is turning on? If that isn't the case, then I don't have an issue.

And BTW, we've had the car for about 3 months now and really like it. I'm just trying to learn all the ways to use it's available control systems in the best way for our driving requirements.

Edit: further to the above information, I was just reading another thread with a very different question but covering the same type of information. From this, I believe that if I start the car and push the EV button and don't touch the paddles which leaves the car in D mode, then the engine won't come on in its effort to use up some of the excess regen or whatever. I'll give that a try, and I'll also try something else that another poster mentioned regarding pushing the start button without pushing the brake pedal which turns on the instrument cluster, and then pushing EV before pushing the brake and the start button. They said that this sequence keeps it in EV mode. And I'll also try leaving it in D mode with this test. I'll post back with what I find out.

We charge the car at home on 120 volts every 2 to 3 days and don't really require any major Regen anyway. If not using the regen paddles keeps the ICE from starting, then that's fine with us. Even if this does work, I'm sure the engine will start from time to time anyway which would be good for it.

Everything considered, this is quite an amazing vehicle with all the systems that it has to control and Mitsubishi has done a very good job on it. There were specific engineering reasons why I chose the Outlander over the other available PHEVs.

Last edited:
Also, as I have found recently, if you go months without using the ICE, you eventually get a warning that your fuel is getting old, and you need to put more (fresh) in. The system will then start the Ice, even if you attempt to drive in EV mode, and this continues until you add enough fuel for it to stop doing this.

I had driven a 2018 PHEV - GT from 2018 to late 2021, and was always able to remain in EV Mode by pressing the EV Button, foot on the brake and then Start Button. I would remain in EV , as AndyofOz mentioned, until the Drive Battery got low, or I Increased my speed or if the Ambient Temperature dropped to below -10C or if I turned on Cabin heating above 18 or 19C' on colder days. I never, ever received a message to "add fuel to use up old fuel" I loved my 2018 PHEV but the 12kWhr was a bit small.

Then on Sept 2021 I upgraded to a 2022 PHEV - GT. This car had a 13.8kWhr and worked pretty much the same as the 2018 except the the ICE would kick in sooner when Temps were not as cold, many times when the outside Ambient Temp was 7'C and interior heat set to 18'C. When this happened and when safe to do so I stop the car. Press the EV Button, then press the brake pedal and start vehicle, and car could remain in EV mode for the rest my trip or untill the Battery started to deplete or I required higher speeds, everything I had control of.

Also I could set the interior temp to 18C' and the ICE would not pick up unless I increased to 21 or 22C' and I was able to continue driving in EV Mode untill as previously mentioned, I increased my speed or the Drive Battery was low.

I usually drive in B0 mode and most of my driving is in the city and on both the 2018 and 2022 I could Regen by pedaling to B3, B4, or B5 with no problems. More on this a bit later.

Then in Apr 2024 I upgraded to a 2024 PHEV - GT 20kWh. It is a beautiful car but performed totally differently from the 2018 and 2022.

1st I noticed that as soon as I turned on the Interior Heater, even to 17.5C' the ICE turned on. I had to turn off car and restart. Then 5 or 6 minutes into my journey, the ICE turned on again, for no reason at all. I had a full battery and was only driving at 60kph.

As I mentioned before I usually drive in B0 mode, so I was very surprised to see that when I pedalled down to B3 or B4 or B5, the ICE started up. This never happened on my previous Models

I had to turn off the car. Pressed EV Button and with foot pressing brake pedal and pushing start, I was back in EV mode. But again, when slowing down and pedaling down to use Reggen, as soon as I got to B3 the ICE started again. (I was not impressed).

After posing this question to this forum I was told and correctly, that only when Drive Battery was below 55% full would the car remain in EV mode when reggen pedal was placed in B3 or higher.
During the summer I found the car to remain in EV mode, untill I turned on the AC but could not go back to EV Mode merely by turning off the AC. I had to turn off car to get back to EV Mode.

Then a few times, out of the blue, the ICE would start up, even though my speed was around 60 km/h, had the HVAC off and plenty of Battery Power left.

Then, after driving about 3 months, the ICE started up and I got message that I had to use up the old fuel and the ICE would not turn off untill I added 20 Lt of fuel. This never, ever happened on my 2018 and 2022 Models.

Again from this Forum I learned that everyone with 2023 and 2024 PHEVs is getting this message and the EV only Mode is not available until the message goes away.. by add at least 20 Lt of fuel (to satisfy the parameter)

Not sure where you live but I fear that when Temperature start to drop to below 0'C, the ICE will come on more often than needed even with plenty of Battery Power remaing

I will then try the procedure to force car into EV Mode.

Namely:
1) Press Start Button, without pressing brake pedal.
2) Press EV Button then
3) Press Brake Pedal and Start Buthon together.

Then see what happens

My biggest fear is when the Outdoor Temp drops to below -30C' because the Heat Pump will not work when Temps drop to below -20'C, so no pre-heating with Battery and from what I am reading, Car may not even be able to be started once the Main Battery Temp drops to below -25'C, whether car is plugged or charging at home or not.

On both my previous 2018 and 2022 I was able leave the fully charged car, UNPLUGGED in tempuratures that drop down to below-30C' while I was away vacationing in Mexico and when I returned the Main Battery usually dropped to 75% because the Main Battery Internal Heater was able to keep the Battery warmed up. And I was always able to start my car without plugging in.

Since the 2023, 2024 and 2025 PHEVs have no Main Battery Heater. I fear that many owners living in the Northern States and Canada, where we do get temperatures below -30C' may experience Starting problems, regardless of the car being plugged or not and may not even accept a charge once the Battery Temerature reaches -25'C.

Mitsubishi Motors really blew it with the 2023 and newer Models and I hope that they can admit their mistake and add a Heater to the Main Battery and allow us to at least allow us to use the Remote Control to start the ICE. Currently that is not an option.

Winter is only 2 months away. And with a forecasted la Niña approaching.

"Baby it will be cold outside" ☆☆☆☆☆☆ (Musical notes)

Last edited:
There is no setting that stops the car from working as a hybrid.

The engine will come on periodically if you select Save, or Charge, or if you run the battery down to the point where the car cannot continue to drive without adding charge.

Other things that will cause the engine to turn on include, speed, load (car and trailer), heating and cooling if the set temperature is sufficiently different to the cabin temperature, and as you have already identified, if more power is required by the user than the battery can provide on its own.

Some users have disabled the engine by pulling relays.

I do not recommend this, as it greatly increases the risk of damaging the car.

(By not maintaining the engine and by forcing the battery to exceed design parameters.)
Good answer, but you're wrong on the cooling. The A/C is entirely electric and will do any amount of cooling on electric only (only bringing the engine on if the battery is empty).

I had driven a 2018 PHEV - GT from 2018 to late 2021, and was always able to remain in EV Mode by pressing the EV Button, foot on the brake and then Start Button. I would remain in EV , as AndyofOz mentioned, until the Drive Battery got low, or I Increased my speed or if the Ambient Temperature dropped to below -10C or if I turned on Cabin heating above 18 or 19C' on colder days. I never, ever received a message to "add fuel to use up old fuel" I loved my 2018 PHEV but the 12kWhr was a bit small.

Then on Sept 2021 I upgraded to a 2022 PHEV - GT. This car had a 13.8kWhr and worked pretty much the same as the 2018 except the the ICE would kick in sooner when Temps were not as cold, many times when the outside Ambient Temp was 7'C and interior heat set to 18'C. When this happened and when safe to do so I stop the car. Press the EV Button, then press the brake pedal and start vehicle, and car could remain in EV mode for the rest my trip or untill the Battery started to deplete or I required higher speeds, everything I had control of.

Also I could set the interior temp to 18C' and the ICE would not pick up unless I increased to 21 or 22C' and I was able to continue driving in EV Mode untill as previously mentioned, I increased my speed or the Drive Battery was low.

I usually drive in B0 mode and most of my driving is in the city and on both the 2018 and 2022 I could Regen by pedaling to B3, B4, or B5 with problems. More on this a bit later.

Then in Apr 2024 I upgraded to a 2024 PHEV - GT 20kWh. It is a beautiful car but performed totally differently from the 2018 and 2022.

1st I noticed that as soon as I turned on the Interior Heater, even to 17.5C' the ICE turned on. I had to turn off car and restart. Then 5 or 6 minutes into my journey, the ICE turned on again, for no reason at all. I had a full battery and was only driving at 60kph.

As I mentioned before I usually drive in B0 mode, so I was very surprised to see that when I pedalled down to B3 or B4 or B5, the ICE started up. This never happened on my previous Models

I had to turn off the car. Pressed EV Button and with foot pressing brake pedal and pushing start, I was back in EV mode. But again, when slowing down and pedaling down to use Reggen, as soon as I got to B3 the ICE started again. (I was not impressed).

After posing this question to this forum I was told and correctly, that only when Drive Battery was below 55% full would the car remain in EV mode when reggen pedal was placed in B3 or higher.
During the summer I found the car to remain in EV mode, untill I turned on the AC but could not go back to EV Mode merely by turning off the AC. I had to turn off car to get back to EV Mode.

Theb a few times, out of the blue, the ICE would start up, even though my speed was around 60 kpm and had ventilation off and plenty of Battery Charge

Then after driving about 3 months, the ICE started up and I got message that the ICE would not turn off untill I added 20 Lt of fuel. This never, ever happened on my 2018 and 2022.

Again from this Forum I learned that everyone with 2023 and 2024 PHEVs is getting this message and the EV only Mode is not available until the message goes away.. add at least 20 Lt of fuel (to satisfy parameter)

Not sure where you live but I fear that when Temps start to drop to Temps below 0C' the ICE will come on more often than needed even with plenty of Battery power.

Namely:
2) Press EV Button then
3) Press Brake Pedal while pressing Start Buthon.

Then see what happens

My biggest fear is when the Outdoor Temp drops to below -30C' because the Heat Pump will not work when Temps drop to below -20'C so, no pre heating with Battery and from what I am reading, Car may not even be able to be started once the Main Battery Temp drops to below -25C', whether car is plugged or charging at home or not.

On both my previous 2018 and 2022 I was able leave the fully charged car, UNPLUGGED in tempuratures that drop down to below-30C' while was away vacationing in Mexico and when I returned the Main Battery usually dropped to 75% because the Main Battery Internal Heater was able to keep the Battery warmed up. And I was always able to start my car without plugging in.

Since the 2023 2924 and 2025 PHEVs have no Msin Battery Heater.

I fear many will have starting issues for owners living in the Northern States and Canada, where we do get temperatures below -30C'.

Mitsubishi Motors really blew it with the 2023 and newer Models and I hope that they can admit their mistake and add a Heater to the Main Battery and allow us to at least allow us yo remote start the ICE. Currently that is not an option.

Great reply ... very informative. Thanks.
I also hope they eventually are forced to offer a dealer installable battery warmer for the 23/24 year vehicles. I am in the Toronto area and with global warming and all (thank God), it doesn't get that cold here anymore. Not so sure that's a good thing tho ...

I will be trying the method of pushing the start button, then EV, then starting the car and it sounds like this will look after some of my EV issues. I'll post what I find out.

🎵 "I really can't stay" 🎵 ...

Last edited:
Good answer, but you're wrong on the cooling. The A/C is entirely electric and will do any amount of cooling on electric only (only bringing the engine on if the battery is empty).
That's good to know. I'm sure we'll all eventually know almost everything about the Outlander PHEV system/capabilities, but we'll have to keep training each over.

I usually drive in B0 mode and most of my driving is in the city and on both the 2018 and 2022 I could Regen by pedaling to B3, B4, or B5 with problems. More on this a bit later.

Theb a few times, out of the blue, the ICE would start up, even though my speed was around 60 kpm and had ventilation off and plenty of Battery Charge

Then after driving about 3 months, the ICE started up and I got message that the ICE would not turn off untill I added 20 Lt of fuel. This never, ever happened on my 2018 and 2022.

Again from this Forum I learned that everyone with 2023 and 2024 PHEVs is getting this message and the EV only Mode is not available until the message goes away.. add at least 20 Lt of fuel (to satisfy parameter)

Not sure where you live but I fear that when Temps start to drop to Temps below 0C' the ICE will come on more often than needed even with plenty of Battery power.

Namely:
2) Press EV Button then
3) Press Brake Pedal while pressing Start Buthon.

Then see what happens

My biggest fear is when the Outdoor Temp drops to below -30C' because the Heat Pump will not work when Temps drop to below -20'C so, no pre heating with Battery and from what I am reading, Car may not even be able to be started once the Main Battery Temp drops to below -25C', whether car is plugged or charging at home or not.

On both my previous 2018 and 2022 I was able leave the fully charged car, UNPLUGGED in tempuratures that drop down to below-30C' while was away vacationing in Mexico and when I returned the Main Battery usually dropped to 75% because the Main Battery Internal Heater was able to keep the Battery warmed up. And I was always able to start my car without plugging in.

Since the 2023 2924 and 2025 PHEVs have no Msin Battery Heater.

I fear many will have starting issues for owners living in the Northern States and Canada, where we do get temperatures below -30C'.

Mitsubishi Motors really blew it with the 2023 and newer Models and I hope that they can admit their mistake and add a Heater to the Main Battery and allow us to at least allow us yo remote start the ICE. Currently that is not an option.

In my experience the heat pump turns off at exactly -15°C.

I tested the AC operation many times and everytime I turn on the Fan then cooling, the ICE comes on. Tried on Heat and set for 17.5'C and the ICE kicked on again. Tried with full battery, at 75% and at 50% Full and anytime I turn the Hvac on, the ICE starts up.

Could this be a fault with my 2024?

I will try again later today and report back

Last edited:
In my experience the heat pump turns off at exactly -15°C.
Thanks for this info.

I have not had this 2024 long enough to drive in Winter weather as of yet, since I only took possesion on Apr 08, 2024. We will be getting Colder temps in a couple of months.

I hope that I will not need to wear a Parka in the car.

Last edited:
Thanks for this info.

I have not had this 2024 long enough to drive in Winter weather as of yet, since I only took possesion on Apr 08, 2024. We will be getting Colder temps in a couple of months.

I hope that I will not need to wear a Parka in the car.
I was just reading one of your other posts and you said that you were getting around 95 kms from a single battery charge. We are experiencing the same good mileage. The initial info told us we would get 61 kms on electric only, but we get more like 85 or 90 kms from a single charge of the battery. This is on EV only and ECO mode.
The battery shows it does kick in occasionally, but the gas gauge doesn't go down so it must be just doing self-maintenance.

Anyway, we are very pleased as we drive almost exclusively on electric usage as our daily driving is rarely over 50 kms.
Happy to hear you're having the same good experience.

I usually drive in B0 mode and most of my driving is in the city and on both the 2018 and 2022 I could Regen by pedaling to B3, B4, or B5 with no problems. More on this a bit later.

Then a few times, out of the blue, the ICE would start up, even though my speed was around 60 km/h, had the HVAC off and plenty of Battery Power left.

Then, after driving about 3 months, the ICE started up and I got message that I had to use up the old fuel and the ICE would not turn off untill I added 20 Lt of fuel. This never, ever happened on my 2018 and 2022 Models.

Again from this Forum I learned that everyone with 2023 and 2024 PHEVs is getting this message and the EV only Mode is not available until the message goes away.. by add at least 20 Lt of fuel (to satisfy the parameter)

Not sure where you live but I fear that when Temperature start to drop to below 0'C, the ICE will come on more often than needed even with plenty of Battery Power remaing

Namely:
2) Press EV Button then
3) Press Brake Pedal and Start Buthon together.

Then see what happens

My biggest fear is when the Outdoor Temp drops to below -30C' because the Heat Pump will not work when Temps drop to below -20'C, so no pre-heating with Battery and from what I am reading, Car may not even be able to be started once the Main Battery Temp drops to below -25'C, whether car is plugged or charging at home or not.

On both my previous 2018 and 2022 I was able leave the fully charged car, UNPLUGGED in tempuratures that drop down to below-30C' while I was away vacationing in Mexico and when I returned the Main Battery usually dropped to 75% because the Main Battery Internal Heater was able to keep the Battery warmed up. And I was always able to start my car without plugging in.

Since the 2023, 2024 and 2025 PHEVs have no Main Battery Heater. I fear that many owners living in the Northern States and Canada, where we do get temperatures below -30C' may experience Starting problems, regardless of the car being plugged or not and may not even accept a charge once the Battery Temerature reaches -25'C.

Mitsubishi Motors really blew it with the 2023 and newer Models and I hope that they can admit their mistake and add a Heater to the Main Battery and allow us to at least allow us to use the Remote Control to start the ICE. Currently that is not an option.

It's a really great story for me since I am new to PHEV car, after I owned Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for 2 months only. Furthermore, there is no freezing temperatures in Florida.
When engineers design a car with multiple controls related in electric circuit, they cannot predict all possible electric failures by cross use of each functions. To protect the car from being unusable, engineers add more safety tools in circuit here and there, which we never know by all means. When they find an error, they add or remove or modify the circuit. We call it as New Design.
Someone who is quick in learning, feels fascinating when finding an algorithm hidden behind. So, they do lots of tries to find a new phenomenon. Sometimes, it costs.,sometimes, great advance.
I also try this and that to fulfill my curiosity, and small efforts on Outlander PHEV in the same manner, I try to follow the User Manual, no more or no less with this car. I found that all effort to find better ways to use this car will remain no other way. Please understand me for such meaningless conclusion so quick.
I am curious why the car should be in EV mode only because the Battery is still usable. Car use a battery not only for the motor but also for the 12v system of the car. The main computer refers all other countless status from tens of sensors to maintain bast battery capability, I guess. Deleting Heater option in cold region is no-brain result.

On my 2023, setting the air flow control to defrost only fires the ICE every few minutes even in EV in Drive. Any other setting allows persistent EV-only driving.

I tested the AC operation many times and everytime I turn on the Fan then cooling, the ICE comes on. Tried on Heat and set for 17.5'C and the ICE kicked on again. Tried with full battery, at 75% and at 50% Full and anytime I turn the Hvac on, the ICE starts up.

Could this be a fault with my 2024?

I will try again later today and report back
This is how my 2014 model behaves too.

It has something to do with the temperature difference between the target and the current temp in the vehicle. (I think)

It's very common for my engine to fire up if I touch the 'Auto' button to start the air conditioning.

It's a really great story for me since I am new to PHEV car, after I owned Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for 2 months only. Furthermore, there is no freezing temperatures in Florida.
When engineers design a car with multiple controls related in electric circuit, they cannot predict all possible electric failures by cross use of each functions. To protect the car from being unusable, engineers add more safety tools in circuit here and there, which we never know by all means. When they find an error, they add or remove or modify the circuit. We call it as New Design.
Someone who is quick in learning, feels fascinating when finding an algorithm hidden behind. So, they do lots of tries to find a new phenomenon. Sometimes, it costs.,sometimes, great advance.
I also try this and that to fulfill my curiosity, and small efforts on Outlander PHEV in the same manner, I try to follow the User Manual, no more or no less with this car. I found that all effort to find better ways to use this car will remain no other way. Please understand me for such meaningless conclusion so quick.
I am curious why the car should be in EV mode only because the Battery is still usable. Car use a battery not only for the motor but also for the 12v system of the car. The main computer refers all other countless status from tens of sensors to maintain bast battery capability, I guess. Deleting Heater option in cold region is no-brain result.
Vehicles sold in Canada differ in driving parameters because the requirements for colder weather operation do differ.

Koodos to Mitsubishi for starting to use the more efficient Heat Pump for heating and coolng on 2023 and future Models, but when they decided to remove the Main Battery Heater, Mitsubishi made an inferior Profuct in that it could no longer work in cold weather efficiently, since Heat Pump only operate at tempuratures above -15'C.

As to why many of us try to use the our cars in EV Mode as much as possible. I think I speak for most when I say that I purchased the Outlander PHEV because I could drive my vehicle in EV Mode when I wanted, as I was able to with my 2018 and 2022 Models.

The 2024 is acting more like a Hybrid Vehicle than a PHEV since it requires the ICE to kick in a lot more than it need to.

If I wanted a Hybrid I would have bought one.

If Mitsubishi chooses not to continue making PHEVs that worked well in Colder Weather like the 2022 and prior models were able to. I have no recourse but to go to another brand of PHEV or go to pure a EV because where I live, the infrastructure is still lacking and Gasoline in Canada is much more expensive than it is in the USA.

I do have an order in on an Aptera, which is a 3 wheeled Solar Charging EV. I hope to receive in the 1st half of 2025.

if the Aptera suits my needs and operates well in the Cold and Snow, then I will have no choice but to sell my 2024 Outlander PHEV and look at getting another PHEV from another Manufactuer that works better in cold weather.

I like the PHEV Idea because I can drive in the city in mainly EV Mode. Then anywhere else, in Hybrid mode, when EV Mode is not available due to a low level Drive Battery.. And also as a front wheel FWD, ICE Vehicle at higher Highway speeds.

That is what Mitsubishi manufactured from 2014 to 2022.

The North American version that were manufactured from 2018 to 2022, did handle Winter driving very well,

But it appears that the 2023 to 2025 were not manufactured for Colder weather in mind.

As buyers, we decide what Vehicle we want to purchade, so if Mitsubishi decides not to make any future Models that can be operated in colder weather, then most of us will look elsewhere

Sorry for venting...... but .... well you know. I was used to driving a very efficient PHEV but now I need to accept the fact that in reality all I have is a Hybrid when the Temp starts to drop.

Last edited:
I was just reading one of your other posts and you said that you were getting around 95 kms from a single battery charge. We are experiencing the same good mileage. The initial info told us we would get 61 kms on electric only, but we get more like 85 or 90 kms from a single charge of the battery. This is on EV only and ECO mode.
The battery shows it does kick in occasionally, but the gas gauge doesn't go down so it must be just doing self-maintenance.

Anyway, we are very pleased as we drive almost exclusively on electric usage as our daily driving is rarely over 50 kms.
Happy to hear you're having the same goo
I am very happy to hear that you are getting 85 to 90 kms on a full charge.

Where I live there are a lot of schools with reduced speed zones so my average speed is 30 to 40 km/h as can be see on my photo.

I always press the EV Button and Eco as well as drive in B-0 which does get me 95 to 100 kms per charge but I do need to be careful as not to move the Regen Pedals beyond B-2 if the Battery Level is higher than 55%. When I forget and place it in B-3 or higher the ICE starts up and if I accelerate the meter does show power mode. When this happens I need to pull over and restart the car, so I can get back to EV Mode. I never had this issue with my 2018 or 2022 PHEV.

When the outside temp is above 25'C the ICE seems to kick in randomly even though the Battery has good levels, speeds are 60 km/h or lower and Main Battery Temp gauge is at mid point.

When ICE starts I pull over when it is safe and restart in EV, ECO and B-0.

I am very impressed with EV Range, I just do not like it when the car decides to take me out of EV Mode for no reason at all and I mean that, because my 2018 and 2022 never behaved this way.

My other issue is that the ICE kicks in whenever I turn on the Heat even at a low setting. The ICE remains on until I drive for about 3 minutes but it can turn on whenever it feels like it untill I restart the car. All this happens even when the battery is fully charged and my speed is 60km/h or lower.

Turning on the AC is more unpredictable, as the ICE seems to stay on even when the temp setting are higher and the AC turns off. iCE again turns off after several minutes of drive. (I have to reconfirm this)

Talk about wasting gas, needlessly.

My current range is shown below. Temps have been dropping to 8'C overnight lately

20241010_180509.jpg

The above photo indicates that I should be getting 95 to 100 kms again if I just drive in the city.

I just want to see what will happen when we start getting freezing temps and I will post my findings.

Last edited:
When ICE starts I pull over when it is safe and restart in EV, ECO and B0.

I am very impressed with EV Range, I just do not like it when the car decides to take me out of EV Mode for no reason at all and I mean that because my 2018 and 2022 never behaved this way.

My other issue is that the ICE kicks in whenever zi turn on the Heat even at a low setting. The ICE remains on until I drive for about 3 minutes but it can turn on whenever it feels like it untill I restart the car. All this happens even when the battery is fully charged.

Turning on the AC is more unpredictable, as the ICE seems to stay on even when the temp setting are higher anx the AC turns off. iCE again turns off after 3 minutes of drive.

Talk about wasting gas, needlessly.
I'm not pleased with this either. It seems counter-productive.
I'll try testing some more driving setups and see what affect they have as well, and I'll post anything I find out.

Vehicles sold in Canada differ in driving parameters because the requirements for colder weather operation do differ.

Koodos to Mitsubishi for starting to use the more efficient Heat Pump for heating and coolng on 2023 and future Models, but when they decided to remove the Main Battery Heater, Mitsubishi made an inferior Profuct in that it could no longer work in cold weather efficiently, since Heat Pump only operate at tempuratures above -15'C.

As to why many of us try to use the our cars in EV Mode as much as possible. I think I speak for most when I say that I purchased the Outlander PHEV because I could drive my vehicle in EV Mode when I wanted, as I was able to with my 2018 and 2022 Models.

The 2024 is acting more like a Hybrid Vehicle than a PHEV since it requires the ICE to kick in a lot more than it need to.

If I wanted a Hybrid I would have bought one.

If Mitsubishi chooses not to continue making PHEVs that worked well in Colder Weather like the 2022 and prior models were able to. I have no recourse but to go to another brand of PHEV or go to pure a EV because where I live, the infrastructure is still lacking and Gasoline in Canada is much more expensive than it is in the USA.

I do have an order in on an Aptera, which is a 3 wheeled Solar Charging EV. I hope to receive in the 1st half of 2025.

if the Aptera suits my needs and operates well in the Cold and Snow, then I will have no choice but to sell my 2024 Outlander PHEV and look at getting another PHEV from another Manufactuer that works better in cold weather.

I like the PHEV Idea because I can drive in the city in mainly EV Mode. Then anywhere else, in Hybrid mode, when EV Mode is not available due to a low level Drive Battery.. And also as a front wheel FWD, ICE Vehicle at higher Highway speeds.

That is what Mitsubishi manufactured from 2014 to 2022.

The North American version that were manufactured from 2018 to 2022, did handle Winter driving very well,

But it appears that the 2023 to 2025 were not manufactured for Colder weather in mind.

As buyers, we decide what Vehicle we want to purchade, so if Mitsubishi decides not to make any future Models that can be operated in colder weather, then most of us will look elsewhere

Sorry for venting...... but .... well you know. I was used to driving a very efficient PHEV but now I need to accept the fact that in reality all I have is a Hybrid when the Temp starts to drop.
Much appreciated your humble and gentle explanation on your case. Well understood and I believe you are forwarding through right direction.
I just briefly searched Aptera. It looks great. Looks future car in fantasy movie.
One of your explanation on the difference between old models and newer ones activated my curiosity brain circuit. It is only inside my imaginary area, not by data sheet study. They might have complaints of lack of power or, they(Mitsubishi Engineers) regrets on their initial concept of fuel efficient car compare to its category. No satisfactory to powerful SUV. So, they redesigned software for higher power applications with bigger battery. Just an illation.

So far, I understood that PHEV and Hybrid have exactly same mechanism. The only difference is the bigger battery in PHEV, and the bigger battery allow us an additional effect of Parallel driving mode (Only in case the battery has a certain level of charge). If it is correct, PHEV or HEV always use El-motor until it has minimum level of charge. The ICE will be activated when battery needs charge or driver select series or parallel(if battery available) for ICE power to use, by pushing hard on the accelerator. Or computer itself decide to use ICE or El-motor according to the road condition to control the wheel balance for AWD function.

Within the first 20 miles of journey, it runs automatically in EV mode, unless the driver set SAVE function to keep the battery level. If the battery reaches to the bottom after 20 miles of EV driving, and then driver have to make decision whether charge while driving and save the battery level as it is. Then driver can set EV mode to use battery as the driver selects. Under all other cases, the car is in Hybrid mode all the way to the end. So, I was thinking that do we need any EV selection during the driving? In order to use EV, at least we have to charge at home and SAVE it or charge while driving and SAVE it for next EV use. EV mode can be terminated by the computer if it is not proper by the calculations of all related data. I also think that if I need maximum power for high speed or uphill, then we need to charge or keep the battery level high. This is exactly Engineers want us how to drive this car, according to the user manual. Charging while driving for longer EV driving distance is less fuel efficient, and requires unnecessary maneuvering. If I am wrong, please teach me.

I used to say that the first priority of owning the car is the purpose of vehicle, Weather is one of the most important factor to be considered. I hope you will select the car which has no trouble in the cold weather, even though you may spend a little bit more money. Money exists for such a reason.

I read an article that the Army Defense weapon from the South Korean manufacturer shows good reputation from all over the world. Some USA journalist had an answer of the question, such as, why Korean weapon of war shows good performance in Saudi and Good performance in Netherlands? The answer he found is that Korea has Hot weather like Saudi and Cold weather in Netherlands. Korea has the 70% of mountains and shores and rivers are full of muds. They have to design the weapons that has good performance in every situation. So as the passenger cars.

Good luck to you

Last edited:
This is how my 2014 model behaves too.

It has something to do with the temperature difference between the target and the current temp in the vehicle. (I think)

It's very common for my engine to fire up if I touch the 'Auto' button to start the air conditioning.
When you're asking for a warmer temperature than the cabin is at. Try doing it when asking for a cooler temperature.

Back