Using PHEV as a backup generator

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mellobob

Just wondering how much power I could suck out of my 2020 using the 110v outlet in an emergency situation. I'm pretty sure that there is enough amperage to run my furnace ... but for how long? Has anyone done the math for a PHEV with a full tank of gas and a full charge so as to output total kWh? If I knew that number of kWh I could expect I could decide if installing an alternate input into my natural gas furnace would be worthwhile for keeping my house warm in a power failure. BTW, I see that most small gas powered generators seem to be in the 4000 to 6000 watt range, a lot more that I'd get out of the car.

There is a guy in Australia does just that. I found the clip on youtube a while back, but the channel owner is one of those who tries to operate a phev without using petrol, or connecting it to a charger.... That's just too annoying for me.
Needed a pretty serious inverter, given he was in the middle of the desert somewhere.

Don't know if this is the same one you found,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRQjDi5aXTg

Not quite what I was thinking. Didn't know, though, that CHAdeMO was 2-way. Interesting. I just want to run a 110v line from the plug in the car to something in my house. But, how much juice is there in the car and how long will a tank of gasoline last if I'm using this?

Just wondering how much power I could suck out of my 2020 using the 110v outlet in an emergency situation. I'm pretty sure that there is enough amperage to run my furnace ... but for how long? Has anyone done the math for a PHEV with a full tank of gas and a full charge so as to output total kWh? If I knew that number of kWh I could expect I could decide if installing an alternate input into my natural gas furnace would be worthwhile for keeping my house warm in a power failure. BTW, I see that most small gas powered generators seem to be in the 4000 to 6000 watt range, a lot more that I'd get out of the car.
Back of the envelope math:
If PHEV goes 22 miles on 12kWh, and an additional 288 miles on gas as claimed:
22 miles/ 12kWh = 1.8 miles per kWh
288 miles / 1.8 miles per kWh = 160kWh
11.3 gallon tank. Gasoline has 33.7kWh of energy
11.3g * 33.7 = 380kWh of potential energy
160kWh delivered / 380kWh potential = 42% efficient conversion of fuel to energy. (Surprisingly good)
Another forum indicates it takes 3L or .8 gallons to recharge battery to 80%. 9.6kWh from .8 gallons (~44% efficient)
(This is way better than what a small generator can do, about 4-7kWh from 1 gallon, or 12-20% efficient))

So to answer your question: 12kWh battery + 160kWh from full tank of gas = 172 kWh.
Your furnace will draw less than 1.5kw (or it would trip a 15A breaker), so simple math would indicate ~114hrs or 4.7 days.
Given that there will be some fixed loads on the car (Computer, lights, etc) and the fact that the furnace cycles on and off, you may get markedly more or less runtime. For instance, you could likely go for over a week if the furnace is only cycling 2x/hr at 15 min per cycle. Plenty of time to hopefully source more gas.

A refrigerator might use 4kWh per day. A chest freezer might use 10kWh per day.

For reference, my 07 Highlander Hybrid used 4 gallons overnight running its own AC and cycling engine on/off. You'd likely want to use Mountain mode or whatever 'recharge the battery from gas' mode during the day and then use just the battery overnight.

I recently had a problem with my main breaker. Was able to run an extension cord through the garage to my kitchen and ran my refrigerator for several hours before I could get an emergency electrician out to replace the main breaker.
It was really nice to have that kind of backup power just sitting in my driveway.

Several years ago I saw and approximately $5,000 USD box from China that would plug into the CHAdeMO port and convert to 220 volts AC. I think it was on Alibaba.

I recently had a problem with my main breaker. Was able to run an extension cord through the garage to my kitchen and ran my refrigerator for several hours before I could get an emergency electrician out to replace the main breaker.
It was really nice to have that kind of backup power just sitting in my driveway.

Several years ago I saw and approximately $5,000 USD box from China that would plug into the CHAdeMO port and convert to 220 volts AC. I think it was on Alibaba.
We just enjoyed the hurricane and the power outage! I expected hurricane power outages when I lived in Florida, but not in Rincon so we sold our generator when we moved. When the power was out, I researched renting a generator. I could almost buy one for what they wanted for a 4 hour rental. ???? What craziness is this? We used to PHEV to run a few things to get through. But after the power came on, and the phone Internet went down, we feel no power with Internet is better than power with no Internet!

We just enjoyed the hurricane and the power outage! I expected hurricane power outages when I lived in Florida, but not in Rincon so we sold our generator when we moved. When the power was out, I researched renting a generator. I could almost buy one for what they wanted for a 4 hour rental. ???? What craziness is this? We used to PHEV to run a few things to get through. But after the power came on, and the phone Internet went down, we feel no power with Internet is better than power with no Internet!
When I read the last sentence, I laugh with same feeling. I once had serious power outage when Hurricane Sara(?) landed our town. I had a generator but not easy to get gas, waiting at the line of a quarter mile of the people at gas station, one person for 5 gallons only. 4 family were in line with each 5 gallon bottle. After that experience, I was seriously think about emergency power system but every existing system costs a lot of money. Sometime later, I found some articles on Camping related website and lots of people utilizes Prius for home appliance application when camping. Unfortunately, I am not familiar to Electric car and didn't own the Hybrid car at that time. But I am always thinking about such an idea utilizing Hybrid car for power back up.

Finally, I have Outlander PHEV (I found SEL model does not have 120V 1500W outlet and option for this costs US$6k) a couple of months ago and I look up forum to find out who DID utilize this cat for V2L. I was astonished by the fact that it is very rare to find out the cases who is interested in V2L. While, I found that Ioniq and EV from Hyundai and Kia has such function as standard for some models. They will apply V2L function to all their models. An extra cost for V2L Adapter at Amazon with $99. According to Hyundai Data, their battery will last for at least 4 days up to 10 days of effective use of home appliances.

Back