The rationale behind "feathering the throttle"

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rollocks!

I was working up a post and for some reason couldn't recall the ***** word , posted it with the intention of quickly editing the asterisks.... and you know the result.

What a pity, never mind!

:)

JimB

EDIT: YOU PASSED

Claymore said:
Rollocks!

I was working up a post and for some reason couldn't recall the ***** word , posted it with the intention of quickly editing the asterisks.... and you know the result.

What a pity, never mind!

:)

JimB

EDIT: YOU PASSED

Thanks Claymore, it was a fairly tough one though. :!: :p In the future you can save your messages without posting and retrieve them from your control panel. ;)

Neverfuel said:
Claymore said:
I've got to be honest - I think there is a whole load of nonsense being promulgated here.

I'm not an engineer or any sort of technician but I understand the basic theory of ...........................

My fan heater, set to 21 degrees will produce heat until its sensors indicate that the target temperature has been reached, then it will cut out. .........programming will ensure it freezes the hell out of me by allowing the temperature to drop to 19 degrees before restarting its.........cycle and thus eliminating the possibly more annoying trait of constantly switching on and off between 21 degrees and 20.9 degrees.

Turning to motor vehicles, ever since my Lambretta GT200 followed by my Austin A35 and every vehicle in between then and now...if I was travelling along (let us assume a never ending smooth level road with no wind) at 50 mph (chosen to equal 80kph) and wished to increase my speed by 10% I would increase throttle and watch the speed increase until the target was achieved and then reduce power to maintain the target speed.

That, in my mind, is nothing whatsoever to do with............but may well be an example of 'feathering', for all we care.

Hi Claymore

I like your exam question - the answer is "hysteresis" :lol:

Have I passed?

:lol: :lol:

Yes you have. In flying colours too in my opinion. :lol:

Regards Trex

Hi,

I was speaking of motion control engineering in my previous post.

Well again in my opinion the Phev under cruise control or ACC and using regen , battery power input to electric motors etc has the best motion control engineering on any car I have driven.

Well done the Mitsubishi motion control engineers and programmers. :D

Regards Trex.

Trex said:
Neverfuel said:
Claymore said:
I've got to be honest - I think there is a whole load of nonsense being promulgated here.

I'm not an engineer or any sort of technician but I understand the basic theory of ...........................

My fan heater, set to 21 degrees will produce heat until its sensors indicate that the target temperature has been reached, then it will cut out. .........programming will ensure it freezes the hell out of me by allowing the temperature to drop to 19 degrees before restarting its.........cycle and thus eliminating the possibly more annoying trait of constantly switching on and off between 21 degrees and 20.9 degrees.

Turning to motor vehicles, ever since my Lambretta GT200 followed by my Austin A35 and every vehicle in between then and now...if I was travelling along (let us assume a never ending smooth level road with no wind) at 50 mph (chosen to equal 80kph) and wished to increase my speed by 10% I would increase throttle and watch the speed increase until the target was achieved and then reduce power to maintain the target speed.

That, in my mind, is nothing whatsoever to do with............but may well be an example of 'feathering', for all we care.

Hi Claymore

I like your exam question - the answer is "hysteresis" :lol:

Have I passed?

:lol: :lol:

Yes you have. In flying colours too in my opinion. :lol:

Regards Trex

Hi Trex

Thanks for that - I had to search older posts on the Same thread though.

Hysteresis - sometimes I can't believe what I have gotten into, just because I got a new car! I spend less time running my company, than I do reading this forum! :lol:

Neverfuel said:
Hi Trex

Hysteresis - sometimes I can't believe what I have gotten into, just because I got a new car! I spend less time running my company, than I do reading this forum! :lol:

Hysteresis just think of it as a "lag" and its easy to remember, that's all I do.

But a Hysteresis Loop is what thermostats, pressure controllers and our Phevs use like I stated in my previous post.

As for running your company just think of what you are learning here. :lol:

Regards Trex.

Trex said:
Neverfuel said:
Hi Trex

Hysteresis just think of it as a "lag" and its easy to remember, that's all I do.

But a Hysteresis Loop is what thermostats, pressure controllers and our Phevs use like I stated in my previous post.

As for running your company just think of what you are learning here. :lol:

Regards Trex.

No Trex -I didn't mean that, I trained as an avionics engineer in my youth. I was just commenting on the fact that the conversations you get on the forum, are not what you would hear down the local pub very often, are they?

Back