Regenerative braking engaging by itself after tyre change

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The different behaviour between brands in extreme situations (skid, aquaplaning, traction on (slippery) surfaces, etc.) will bring unexpected responses from the stabilization, ABS and anti-yaw systems.

In extreme situaties, undoubtly. So, lights come on every now and the under extreme circumstances. So will they when you have four tires of the same brand and road conditions differ strongly from left to right (or from front to rear). That is the brain of your car at work.

To me, it does not explain why you would get warning lights under normal (day to day) circumstances.

jaapv said:
The different behaviour between brands in extreme situations (skid, aquaplaning, traction on (slippery) surfaces, etc.) will bring unexpected responses from the stabilization, ABS and anti-yaw systems.
And not just the warning lights, the car might lose stability in such cases.
reason that car manufacturers in general recommend using the same brand and type on all wheels.
Before all this electronic wizardry the same size was sufficient.

The "electronic wizardry" is supposed to save our lives when we encounter issues with traction / stability. Before we had this, it would be okay to have tires of different brands but now that we have all the safety measures, it is no longer okay. Is that what you are saying? Because to me, that doesn't make lot of sense.

Again, how would the stability control stuff know whether differences in rotational speed (that is about all that it can measure from the wheels, I guess) are caused by different road conditions left / right or front / rear or caused by different tire brands (not sizes!)? If it cannot deal with the latter, than it can also not deal with the first, I would think. Or am I totally missing something? If you were guaranteed to have the same grip at all four wheels when using a single brand, you would hardly need the gadgets, I would think.

That is a bit simplistic, Anko. Tyres of different brands will have different tread patterns, different flexibility of both the sidewall and tread, different rolling resistance and probably not even the same size, despite the numbers on the sidewall.
It did not matter at all on your T-Ford, front and rear did not matter on a car that has no real interaction between front and rear axle, but on a car like the PHEV (and many other modern cars) the four wheels are interconnected electronically, and then it does matter, see the original post.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=136

http://www.tirebuyer.com/education/using-mismatched-or-mixed-sets-of-tires

http://www.souzastireservice.com/tires-101/tire-matching-awd-4wd.aspx

jaapv said:
probably not even the same size, despite the numbers on the sidewal
It was about the brand, not the size.

In general, it may be a (very) good idea to use four tires of the same brand and size, for sure. But my question was meant as: (why) do we believe that using tires of different brands can cause malfunctions of AWC and the like, as dealers sometimes claim? After a very quick scan, it seems that the pages you refer to do not support that claim in any way.

jaapv said:
Yes - and size varies between brands, even on supposedly identical tyres.
So what? Size varies between my front and rear tires, not because they are of different brand or model, but because of wear. But still, I don't see any lights on my dashboard.

Of course, in the extreme, size will matter. But will brand? By stating that size will or may vary with brand and therefor brand may matter you are avoiding the question ;)

Sounds like an answer to me...
Anyway, whatever rings your bell. I prefer to follow the recommendations by tyre manufacturers, -fitters and car makers.

The manual says 3 things on this:

1. Tyres of different types should not be used as they may have different internal characteristics.
2. When a tyre needs replacing, all tyres should be replaced.
3. Using tyres of different types may cause the differential oil temperature to rise possible causing damage to the drive system. Further, the drive train will be subjected to excessive loading, possibly leading to oil leakage, component seizure or other serious faults.

I think, for the sake of my warranty, I would try to follow this advice - the PHEV is a complex piece of kit where electronics often take the place of mechanical components. ;)

I tested a spare wheel with a 16" rim. different tyre size and make. Made no discernable change to car driving, and no message screens. The fact that the OP has had regen engaged after a tyre was changed should still be investigated as a problem somewhere. I have driven with a tyre severely low in pressure and there were no dash messages. My aftermarket TPMS identified a slow leak thankfully. Drove for over 100km with frequent use of the pump to get it repaired, as at this time had no spare. As long as a driver was aware that full performance may be impaired with not identical tyres, and drove accordingly, there should be no problem with all 4 tyres being different. I would not recommend this though. I will be looking at new tyres soon, so my tyres would be as unevenly worn as could be expected and the phev has no adverse driving characteristics to indicate any problems. Have to say that front wheels are wearing slightly faster than the rear and more frequent rotation could have been a benefit.

levant said:
when it comes to tyre change, does it have to be Toyo R37? they are £ 98 each...not cheap so a pair will cost nearly £200 plus fitting.

£98 where? dealer has quoted me £298 for one :eek:

greendwarf said:
levant said:
when it comes to tyre change, does it have to be Toyo R37? they are £ 98 each...not cheap so a pair will cost nearly £200 plus fitting.

£98 where? dealer has quoted me £298 for one :eek:

With my previous car I kept a set of winter tyres because we live in a cul de sac at the end of a narrow road down an slope. I had a local mobile fitter who charged me £25 to fit and balance all four at each change, October and March. I had a quick look around and found this lot -https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-ty...LHWSOHtsUn3NiZSbGfW1ZGYZs6L_vOppr0aAu3G8P8HAQ

Wondering if it might be more cost effective to find a local fitter, mobile or otherwise and order online?

Does that mean that if I get a puncture in one tyre and it needs to be replaced that I also need to buy three others as well??? Bloody expensive puncture if that's the case!

lg1726 said:
Does that mean that if I get a puncture in one tyre and it needs to be replaced that I also need to buy three others as well??? Bloody expensive puncture if that's the case!

Apparently so, although I did contemplate buying a second-hand Toyo (plenty on e-bay) so as to try to match the wear on the other 3 but fortunately got my local "back street" fitter to repair the puncture (probably illegal as it was on the edge :eek: ) Fortunately, I'll be switching over to the winter tyres soon and only potter around Sarf Lundun these days :lol:

Back