Range query

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaggyvarmint

I have had my Outlander PHEV for 3 weeks. It was a demonstrator and is the GX 4H model.
I do the same journey frequently and use the same route at the same time. The weather varies a little and the traffic varies very slightly but as this is in West Wales it is never congested.
Top speed is 60mph and there are some hills. I use the paddle system and get 3/4 leafs on the Eco symbol.
I always drive it in eco mode with the A/C off. Radio is on, temp set to 21, lights and wipers set to auto.
The journey is 17 miles and I re-charge at the other end. It gives a read out of the charge when finished.
According to the read out I have 2 miles battery left and the charge is usually 7.4 KW.

On Monday the read out said 14 miles left and the charge was only 3.6 KW. I did nothing differently. On the way back it used all but 2 miles of the battery!

How could I suddenly get this extra range?

Should I get the car checked for a fault?

The only thing I can think of is that it was colder so the petrol engine cut in to provide heating and you therefore did fewer miles on the battery that journey.

Do you think 18 miles on battery is about right for a journey where the top speed does not exceed 60 mph and the average speed is probably about 45 mph on a combination of rural roads and an A road? There are some hills but they are not huge ones. The speed stays pretty constant but you are right it was colder on Monday than previously.

vaggyvarmint said:
Do you think 18 miles on battery is about right for a journey where the top speed does not exceed 60 mph and the average speed is probably about 45 mph on a combination of rural roads and an A road? There are some hills but they are not huge ones. The speed stays pretty constant but you are right it was colder on Monday than previously.

This time of year it is probably not too bad. Cold, damp air is more viscose which leads to more drag and cold tyres have more rolling resistance.

18-20 miles is what I'm typically getting with a mostly dual carriageway run with outside temp around 5C, timed defrost before setting off, heating on, lights on, etc.

Tiddling about at town speeds, I usually get 22-24 miles and run on pure EV all the time. Today, I was feeling the cold and damp, put the heating up to 25C, fan on half, air-con on, headlights, ,wipers, heated seats x 2. The engine ran almost continuously, but I was comfortable. I did about 25 miles, but had over half the battery charge left. Average consumption showed as 41 mpg. I'm happy with that, I expect to burn fuel to keep toasty warm.

Back