New battery tech for existing retrofit

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the dealer was being honest and that is refreshing.

I would contrast that with the approach of Mitsubishi as a company with the 2023 and 2024 Outlander models. Although they sell across Canada and the United States, including in regions that experience prolonged cold temperatures they don’t always tell purchasers that the if the traction battery gets too cold (somewhere around -25°C) the car won’t start to protect the traction battery. And plugging the car in at these temperatures won’t work because there is no heater for the battery and the cars computer prevents charging.

For people who don’t live in areas with prolonged cold temperatures and who don’t intend to travel through such areas the Outlander can be a good choice but I think that people should be informed with the current models and the issue should be fixed with future models.
Is this really the case? I've gotten a "Battery too cold" message a couple of times during winter on my 2019 model. Then it just starts the engine and EV mode it's unavailable until the battery warms up.

I have read all posting here and I feel comfort with how you guys share ideas each other.
First, I would like to say Hello to Maby, because you look similar generation to me. I also retired old man and my driving routines are less than 20miles(32km) and usually every other day.
For me, now is the time to look around without any pressure, just enjoy a little bit of meditation while listening to other people's saying.

So, I am always happy(at least trying to be) even though others have different opinion.

However, when it comes to opinion on existing things, peoples becomes more strict on their ideas because they have experienced directly and personally.

When I was in elementary school in 1960-70 in Asia, my whole world is within 10 kilometers distance. Everything I face is all inside this distance. I I lived in a reach family, I never understand some people are dying because of starving. Vise Versa.

As I am growing, I found that there are other town in next to my town. That town is quite different to our town. I found my idea of living is a false, because other boys live in a different way. This was not an end of my life. I found other country, other nations, other races, other religion, other continentals, and other cosmos. But strangely, the way of living and thinking has been stopped when I was in 30's.

I accepted new technical method of living but I still have the limit. I will never overcome young people who started his life with full of technology. I tried to accept current trends but young people always respond as "Hey Old man, that is an old fashion of thinking".

We are living over 80 years. See what has been changed during my life. I started to drive my car with 1.6L with manual 3 transmissions. When Automatic 5 gear transmission came to the world, young people who has Auto transmission car for his first car says to me while I was driving manual transmission car, how convenient to drive auto, thus, he can smoke cigarette without any hassle and drink coffee in the car. Especially, he can raise arms to reach his girl friend in the car without any dangerous situation. My respond was, you never feel the feeling of manual change of gear according to the speed. It is certain that young guys will never experience the manual transmission's world. It will never be their experience. They just live in the world that there never been a manual transmission exist. Don't argue it with current manual lovers who is young. Since he knew manual attractions through media, and media is powerful source of indirect experience. It affects our lives a lot, I know. So for the people who lives in Media World as their first young age experience, the story divorces in a different directions.

There are lots of generation gap between the koniology which era he spend his 20's and 30's. There are lots of gaps how to live even though we live in the same 2024.

The Car has been invented over one hundred years ago. And it has been improved(only in the matter of technical science) during those years. But when we think of the car history, someone lived early stage of technology as his young days and someone are living newest technology era as his young days. If somebody says sturdy car as best virtue and other says tech option on the car as the standard of selection we must look back how the car gave him an experience when he is young. Both have no problem. The problem is that we altogether live in the current era with different experiences of their young ages.

Our DNA decides different way of thinking. Someone who lives his young days in 70's, his DNA leads me to overwrite new experience to his existing storage and change the form of life as he is young. Someone who doesn't want to overwrite current situation over existing storage. Also it is not in Black and white theory. Some accept an a certain categories, but not accept other categories. Some accept 10% but others 90%. The factor of verity is so huge, we see so many different people here and there. We seldom find who is identical.

Sharing the koniology is beautiful thing for the people who lives in the same era disregarding ages and where he lives. However. some one will take it as new source of experience and someone doesn't. Whatever it is, life will go on as it has been done for 5,000years, 300,000years, 3 million years as human being appear in this earth.

EV become normal in this world now. But when we think of battery, The first modern battery has been invented in 1868.

"1868: Georges Leclanché invented the "Leclanché cell," which is the origin of today's dry batteries." As google AI says

AI also says The Hudson Motor Car Company was the first to use a standardized battery in a car in 1918.

Disregarding long history of EV car in USA, it appears to us as public experience from 1970. From that year, lots of EV shown on US market but could not become regular people car, because of Battery. When Lithium Ion appear in the real world. EV car becomes normal in the market. However, LI battery is not the end of battery history. It shows many problem since it has been used for real life tool. We are still moving.

This is how we face the current EV status. Only the battery issue is the main field. It is still in progress among history of human life. Someone accept this as in the middle of progress and try to enjoy the EV life as much as it provide. Also someone believe that EV helps clean environment. Someone will not be satisfied with its imperfection in transportation world, where there are lots of other ways for transportation. Choice is yours according to how you lived in you young days and how you accept new technology. There is no right and wrong when we share the information. That is how we can move forward. Lets keep in mind.

Last edited:
ICE started out only 30% efficient lol.
Google AI says US EPA declared 20% will be use for moving, 80% for heat and others. If i spend a dollar, 20 cents for moving.
There is another expression that only about 12%–30% of the energy from the fuel you put in a conventional vehicle is used to move it down the road, by fueleconomy.gov

Back