High ICE revs / engine strained!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all very subjective this. Obviously the PHEV is gonna be quiet compared to a 10 year old diesel Land Cruiser. But compared to anything petrol driven built in the last year or two the difference is minimal once you get over about 20mph.

However at 40 mph a conventional car in the right gear will be running at probably 2000 rpm ish and the engine speed will only change in relation to the road speed or a change of gear.

The PHEV on the other hand, in series mode will rev higher or lower at the same road speed depending on engine load. In that respect it's much more akin to a continuously variable transmission. How many of us have driven one of those lately? To those of us that haven't it's not a familiar experience and I suspect this is why the OP has noticed the engine noise.

To be honest I think the best bet would be to get a passenger to record some video of it happening so we can see / hear how noisy it is; what the battery charge is like; speed; road conditions etc., then upload it here. The rest of us can then take a look and let him know if it's similar to other peoples' experiences.

Well, I come from a five-year old Jaguford which cannot be called a noisy car I should think. I find the Mitsubishi considerably more silent.

maddogsetc said:
To be honest I think the best bet would be to get a passenger to record some video of it happening so we can see / hear how noisy it is; what the battery charge is like; speed; road conditions etc., then upload it here. The rest of us can then take a look and let him know if it's similar to other peoples' experiences.

Thanks maddogsetc it's a good idea. I'll see if I can video and share..

Back