Fuel consumption in relation to Drive battery levels.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maby said:
I guess the answer is that your tests were done under close to ideal conditions and still showed a difference of less than 10% between the two extremes of battery charge. In practice, almost all the difference occurs close to 100% charged. I've run quite a few tests under real-world (i.e. South East England) conditions and have never been able to detect any consistent difference in fuel economy at different states of charge - but even the 10% would get lost in the noise really.

Yes I know you like to waste fuel as I have seen it written many times ie your driving strategy. That is your perogative.
Does not mean others have to.

I will give you an example

gwapte gets 8lts/100ks on trips where I got 6.8, did it just the other day, just by keeping the battery level down and charging up just before towns and avoiding serial mode. Easy to do.

That's 1.2 litres per 100 or on my trip of 360kms 4.32 litres one way or 720kms both ways of 8.64 litres.
That nearly 20% of the Phev's tank.

Real world enough for you?

Trex said:
maby said:
I guess the answer is that your tests were done under close to ideal conditions and still showed a difference of less than 10% between the two extremes of battery charge. In practice, almost all the difference occurs close to 100% charged. I've run quite a few tests under real-world (i.e. South East England) conditions and have never been able to detect any consistent difference in fuel economy at different states of charge - but even the 10% would get lost in the noise really.

Yes I know you like to waste fuel as I have seen it written many times ie your driving strategy. That is your perogative.
Does not mean others have to.

I will give you an example

gwapte gets 8lts/100ks on trips where I got 6.8, did it just the other day, just by keeping the battery level down and charging up just before towns and avoiding serial mode. Easy to do.

I was not aware that I had done the same trip as you, on the same road. You cannot compare my average that included a thousand or more km on rough and corrugated roads with tyre pressures of 25psi with a test of your own in vastly different conditions.

That's 1.2 litres per 100 or on my trip of 360kms 4.32 litres one way or 720kms both ways of 8.64 litres.
That nearly 20% of the Phev's tank.

Real world enough for you?

Had an unexpected trip to the city today and I also managed 6.8L/100km for the trip of 380km, mixed driving using SAVE mode. There was some EV in the mix, of about half the battery, and included at least 5bars of regen from steep downhill grades, with the equivalent loss of bars going up the hills.

I am sure that if I repeated my AUS road trip with my driving style now, with more controlled use of the battery when corded recharging was not available, that my average may be around 7L/100km, and not 8L/100km.

I would expect that driving the PHEV fast on a motorway could be equally classified as wasting fuel and not that efficient, and plenty of PHEV drivers still admit to doing it.

I will be travelling again at the end of the month, but I am a bit over worrying about absolute economy. I just carry some spare fuel just in case I feel the need for speed.
:D ;)

gwatpe said:
[I was not aware that I had done the same trip as you, on the same road. You cannot compare my average that included a thousand or more km on rough and corrugated roads with tyre pressures of 25psi with a test of your own in vastly different conditions.
Had an unexpected trip to the city today and I also managed 6.8L/100km for the trip of 380km, mixed driving using SAVE mode. There was some EV in the mix, of about half the battery, and included at least 5bars of regen from steep downhill grades, with the equivalent loss of bars going up the hills.

I am sure that if I repeated my AUS road trip with my driving style now, with more controlled use of the battery when corded recharging was not available, that my average may be around 7L/100km, and not 8L/100km.

I would expect that driving the PHEV fast on a motorway could be equally classified as wasting fuel and not that efficient, and plenty of PHEV drivers still admit to doing it.

I will be travelling again at the end of the month, but I am a bit over worrying about absolute economy. I just carry some spare fuel just in case I feel the need for speed.
:D ;)

Hey gwapte you ok? Your turning blue. :lol:

Yep done thousand of kms on rough corrugated roads. Its like we live in the same country. :eek: Well bugger me. :lol:

But seriously 6.8Lts/100kms from you after all those 8s you have written about is bloody good. Keep up the good work and have a safe trip.

I was going to post in green. :lol:

I guess that on a longer trip on uncertain roads and unfamiliar terrain, and with 40L reserve petrol, I was not too concerned about economy. Used probably half the fuel of 90% of other vehicles seen, for similar km on the same roads, so this keeps the fuel consumption equation in perspective.

Trip to QLD will be on tarmac. Just an overnight somewhere out near the back of Bourke.

At least I have decent lights. ;)

Will be leaving the OBD port free, as last time we had the dash light up before Broken Hill and were worried with a "Check Engine" light that stayed ON till service in Brisbane.

Back