Bought a used 2022 outlander PHEV - Is it possible to apply V2L adapter for AC 120v home appliances?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woon Chung

I bought a used 2022 Outlander PHEV SEL a week ago. I am retired old man, and drives a car less than 200 miles a month. Usual distance is also less than 20 miles per drive. Thus this car EV distance 22miles is good enough for one time drive without using gasoline. I will set EV mode. After a drive, I charge it about 5 hours and battery is almost full. I had Lexus CT200h before this, and I fill gas 2,3 times a year. I guess I need only ONE time gas for a year, Hahahahaha.
I bought this car without any preparation. I did not have much study on this car but was just thinking about PHEV instead of Hybrid alone. Make the story short, I bought this car because it looks to cheap compare to its grade and quality. After I brought this car home, I found its trim level is SEL and this trim is entry level. and it does not have 120v AC outlet. It is not an option for SEL. However, I am very much satisfied with this, bcs it is almost new car year with reasonable mileage.
1 did one job on this car by myself. The touch screen was not fully functionable. I bought a touch screen alone at Amazon ($14.00 for like new). Replaced it referring You tube and it was so easy. Now it is working good.
The only thing I miss is 120v AC outlet in case of power outage in the future. I just need power to keep my frozen food to be frozen.
Thank you for reading my boring story. Welcome any advise for me. Have a good day everyone!!!!!

I bought a used 2022 Outlander PHEV SEL a week ago. I am retired old man, and drives a car less than 200 miles a month. Usual distance is also less than 20 miles per drive. Thus this car EV distance 22miles is good enough for one time drive without using gasoline. I will set EV mode. After a drive, I charge it about 5 hours and battery is almost full. I had Lexus CT200h before this, and I fill gas 2,3 times a year. I guess I need only ONE time gas for a year, Hahahahaha.
I bought this car without any preparation. I did not have much study on this car but was just thinking about PHEV instead of Hybrid alone. Make the story short, I bought this car because it looks to cheap compare to its grade and quality. After I brought this car home, I found its trim level is SEL and this trim is entry level. and it does not have 120v AC outlet. It is not an option for SEL. However, I am very much satisfied with this, bcs it is almost new car year with reasonable mileage.
1 did one job on this car by myself. The touch screen was not fully functionable. I bought a touch screen alone at Amazon ($14.00 for like new). Replaced it referring You tube and it was so easy. Now it is working good.
The only thing I miss is 120v AC outlet in case of power outage in the future. I just need power to keep my frozen food to be frozen.
Thank you for reading my boring story. Welcome any advise for me. Have a good day everyone!!!!!
It is unfortunate that the SEL does not come with a 120VAC outlet.

Edited:
{All I can suggest is purchasing DC/AC Invertor and plug it into the 12Vdc (cigarette lighter). A 120 watt unit would draw about 10Amps from DC source.}

Should be strong enough for a small freezer.

Edited:
{I believe that the DC plug uses a 20 A fuse, so you could use a 240 watt AC unit}

Edited:

{I used to use this invertor, connected directly to my 12 Volt battery with a 100 Amp inline} fuse}

Attachments

• 20240804_144158.jpg
    20240804_144158.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks for you valuable advice. However, it is hard to believe that we can draw so much electricity form cigarette jack. Usually people use cigarette jack power for 100W to 200w low power tools. But if you say so. I will try as you said. The worst thing could be a blowing up a fuse. Thank you anyway.

Thanks for you valuable advice. However, it is hard to believe that we can draw so much electricity form cigarette jack. Usually people use cigarette jack power for 100W to 200w low power tools. But if you say so. I will try as you said. The worst thing could be a blowing up a fuse. Thank you anyway.
Whoops sorry, you are right.

The inverter on the photo was actually connected directly to a battey with 100 A fuse online when I had a 2004 Nissan Maxima to power up some camping equipment.

Plugging into the Power Port may only get you 150 to 200 watts. On a 10 to 15 A fuse.

I just checked the Manual on my 2024 PHEV GT and it illudes to a 10A Fuse.

So as to avoid confusion I should try to efit my previews post. If not I will try to delete it

12 volt tools are rated in watts.

For 12VDC. A 120W tool will draw 10 Amps. As an example.

But for an AC tool or Applicance, the DC to AC Invertor produces 120VAC but the power would remain the same, namely 120W = 120V X 1A.

Whoops sorry, you are right.

The inverter on the photo was actually connected directly to a battey with 100 A fuse online when I had a 2004 Nissan Maxima to power up some camping equipment.

Plugging into the Power Port may only get you 150 to 200 watts. On a 10 to 15 A fuse.

I just checked the Manual on my 2024 PHEV GT and it illudes to a 10A Fuse.

So as to avoid confusion I should try to efit my previews post. If not I will try to delete it

12 volt tools are rated in watts.

For 12VDC. A 120W tool will draw 10 Amps. As an example.

But for an AC tool or Applicance, the DC to AC Invertor produces 120VAC but the power would remain the same, namely 120W = 120V X 1A.
So. Mits PHEV. Shouldn’t be talking 12VDC for any accessories. Very small 12VDC aux battery is only used to keep computer data fresh and ready and to connect 300VDC Main battery to system when you push the start button.

Bottom line you drain 12VDC aux battery you will not be going anywhere….

According to my limited knowledge on the cars, I just remember that I do not need complicated knowledge while I was driving 2012 CT200h for several years. But since I wanted to enjoy PHEV instead simple hybrid cars, which will save a gas cost, I happened to purchase a used 2022 outlander PHEV. After I bought this, I regret that I am dummy in this car. There are so many things that I have to know to prevent failure to run this car through this forum. Reading one by one, I am getting afraid to own this car for long period. I started to worry about the failure of the car on the street with verity of the reason and SERVICE center is not easy-to-find and furthermore they are not cooperative to the customer with lack of professional knowledge. Should I go back to the old cars without delicate and complicated technology?

Really?

I've found the PHEV to be the easiest car to own yet.

I put water in the washer bottle, air in the tyres, petrol in the tank twice per year and plug it in whenever it needs a charge, (once per week with my current usage).

It gets a yearly service from Mitsubishi.

My advice to new owners is: "Get in and drive".

Don't worry about everything else, it has been done for you.

Really?

I've found the PHEV to be the easiest car to own yet.

I put water in the washer bottle, air in the tyres, petrol in the tank twice per year and plug it in whenever it needs a charge, (once per week with my current usage).

It gets a yearly service from Mitsubishi.

My advice to new owners is: "Get in and drive".

Don't worry about everything else, it has been done for you.
What an encouragement !!!

Thank you.

That is(was) my thought when I decided to get this car. But Bmu Malfunction, fast main power battery drain, 12v battery drain, head unit not available for several months, technicians are not customer's side, Chademo(bidirectional adapter) is not available in US, no battery professional are familiar with Mitsubishi, etc, and so on, which I never imagine before.

The car drives great with comport, but I have to press the small bottom on the door handle to unlock, while other cars has touch sensor with similar options, engine hood is support by a stick instead of gas shock support. Infotainment display is never understandable, just add a sickness. Am I going too much negative? Sorry. Because I have not enough time to adapt new environment yet. Soon I will be a positive man on outlander when I find there is no way to escape.

I am really sorry to anybody who read this article, who loves their Outlander with their own ways.
But I am very old single man who has no friends to talk about my new car. This forum is the only space to talk about my complaint. I am going to try to find good side of this car soon.

The door should unlock with the key fob.
Maybe it needs a new battery as well?
Otherwise as Andy says, just drive. But like any modern car, service requires the right knowledge and equipment. Perhaps you can find a service manual that will help you, or help your local mechanic if you can't access a Mitsubishi dealer.

If i was to use any 12v device I would have the car in ready mode, which keeps the 12v charged. Even the interior lights and radio for a few hours will result in flat... Damhik....

The door should unlock with the key fob.
Maybe it needs a new battery as well?
Otherwise as Andy says, just drive. But like any modern car, service requires the right knowledge and equipment. Perhaps you can find a service manual that will help you, or help your local mechanic if you can't access a Mitsubishi dealer.
We do not have to use key fob. It is enough to carry the key fob with me in my pocket. With key fob in my pocket, i approach to the car, the door light will be on to show the handle clearly. Some car lights on the street to show you the correct spot of the door. After approaching to handle, press the black button on the edge of the door handle, the door will be unlocked. After I hear unlock beep sound, I pull the handle and the door will be opened. This procedure becomes the routine of middle class option car. But some cars omit one step of pressing the button on the handle. Instead, grip the handle will sensed and unlock the door immediately and the naturally pull out handle to open it. I am too much accustomed to this laziest way to unlock and opened the door for quite a few years. On the contrary, my outlander ask me not to pull out the handle but to press the button in door handle. This means that I need to reprogram my brain that I need to press the button on the handle before I pull out the handle. It will take a certain time to erase old program and install a new program in my brain. This has been automatic sequence in my brain not needing any thinking, just like a walking on the street. We do not think how to move left and right foot, except unknown obstacles recognized. So far today, I pull out handle first and the recognize to press the button to open.
Am I spend to much time to be understood?

If i was to use any 12v device I would have the car in ready mode, which keeps the 12v charged. Even the interior lights and radio for a few hours will result in flat... Damhik....
Lot of the people who own the EV or PHEV or Hybrid are considering whether they utilize big battery or utilize the function of charging battery for emergency Back Up Power source for basic electric appliances while blackout. Naturally, millions of you tube and forum are discussing this issue to show us how to. When Japan has national disaster a decade ago, Leaf and Out lander were the source of 120V AC without grid. Mitsubishi developed inverter which produces 1500w 120v AC by using Chademo port and this product is available in Japan but not for sale any where in the world. But they install this inverter inside of Outlander PHEV GT and we can see 120v AC outlet in that model.

Prius forum showed many videos how to use 120V AC inverter for the same purpose. It can be used for car camping convenience. Gas will occasionally generate power to charge 12v battery and certain appliances can be used during camping any where. This concept is, I think, not for most of the American, who use expensive RV car camping where there are source of power exists. They are also get used to use generator when blackout. Yor are familiar to see miles of Gas line in one gas station to get gas for generator.

If car manufacturer install such inverter in the car, what will be the bad influence in this world? The Technology of the install inverter in the car is not Rocket science. It is fingertip tech, already existing tech, not cost affect tech, ETC. But this will save a lot of people who lost their daily life by loosing electricity caused by drunken drivers hit the power pole, caused by nature disaster not spending whole sum of money.

I already get many sources of installing 120v ac adapter and is quite safe proved by other people who owned Prius and other Japanese EV cars. There are so many sources to install Many midsize Van and truck and they use this for daily work to power up Heavy Duty Electric Tools and Fisher install this to enjoy fishing in unknown area by camping several days. But Mitsubishi waned us not to do so if I do not want to lose my warranty on battery. This is scary threatening to me because I have warranty of 6 years and 50k miles. If I have a car with no warranty, I will dare to install inverter to prepare to not predictable Power outage.

When I search internet, there are lots of sophisticated technology, but all of them are for rich people who can support several tens of thousands of dollars to get it. Single CHAdeMO power supplier cost 3,000 to 6,000 dollars.

I expect that someday before I got hit by power disaster somebody invent simple inverter for car proved not to lose warranty.

Thanks for reading boring story.

Actually cigarette lighters are heavy draw outlets since they have to supply enough current to heat the cigar lighter element.

Mike

Thank you for your detailed comments Woon Chung. My phev is 2014, sounds like it is way out of date!

Back