Altitude problem

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auzoloto

When I'm at sea level (plus a few feet) PHev is telling me I am at 350'. My iPhone is telling me I'm at 20'

Any ideas how to re-calibrate to get a better estimation of altitude. I accept that GPS does not give a good approximation, but the PHev is wildly out!

If it's using GPS altitude, then I don't think there is any question of recalibrating - it just needs to be able to see more satellites in a better constellation in order to improve accuracy. I hadn't thought seriously about it, but I was tending to assume that it had a barometric sensor - that could be recalibrated, but any such function seems to be hidden deep down in the "secret menus"

I'll check and see if PHev is seeing the same satellites as the iPhone. If it is then something is wrong and, or it could be linked to pressure

"Secret menus"... How can one access these?

Auzoloto said:
I'll check and see if PHev is seeing the same satellites as the iPhone. If it is then something is wrong and, or it could be linked to pressure

"Secret menus"... How can one access these?

I remember seeing a posting somewhere - possibly not on this board. I didn't take much notice, I'm afraid - far too much scope for cocking up an expensive car!

Extremely accurate 3D satellite positioning should be capable with 4-6 satellites...

Barometer altitude is pretty pointless unless you keep telling the car what the (QNH) air pressure is.... if it does use a barometric sensor I would assume it would default to 1013.25 hPa.

I hadn't even noticed that the sat nav did 3D... to be honest. I'm more disconcerted with the lack of easy updating, lack of speed cameras, poor route planning and that she-bitch voice!

zacherynuk said:
Extremely accurate 3D satellite positioning should be capable with 4-6 satellites...

Barometer altitude is pretty pointless unless you keep telling the car what the (QNH) air pressure is.... if it does use a barometric sensor I would assume it would default to 1013.25 hPa.

I hadn't even noticed that the sat nav did 3D... to be honest. I'm more disconcerted with the lack of easy updating, lack of speed cameras, poor route planning and that she-bitch voice!

Don't you go dissing the satnav voice - she's sexy!

So far, I've been reasonably happy with the satnav - its choice of route has always been similar to mine. Are updates difficult? The mapping is Navionics on an SD card - the same source as we use on the boat - if you have a subscription, then updating should be easy via an Internet connected PC.

Interestingly, I've just seen an announcement that Mitsubishi are one of the manufacturers that are commiting to Android Auto. That could be a big improvement, but probably not going to be possible to retrofit to cars already on the road.

maby said:
zacherynuk said:

Don't you go dissing the satnav voice - she's sexy!

So far, I've been reasonably happy with the satnav - its choice of route has always been similar to mine. Are updates difficult? The mapping is Navionics on an SD card - the same source as we use on the boat - if you have a subscription, then updating should be easy via an Internet connected PC.

Sexy!? I do hope we have different heads! Otherwise I imagine you wearing some leather sub0dom gear whilst driving. Her voice makes even my 5 year old daughter pay attention!

I thought the unit was Garmin based - am i mistaken ? Any details on updates would be appreciated - cheers!

I'm pretty sure it is Navionics - I haven't pulled the SD card yet, but hopefully it it labelled. Be aware that Navionics SD cards are well copy protected - naive attempts to copy them can leave them useless.

If it is Navionics, then they have good update functionality. Their marine maps can be updated as often as you want free of charge for the first year and you can then purchase a subscription if you want. There is an application you load on your PC and then when you plug an SD card into a reader, it checks against the central database and offers to update if there is anything available

I don't have an attitude problem either.

Have been told by my dealer that map upgrades for GPS will be free for the first 2 years in AUS. Maps in AUS are at least 1-2 years out of date, as my dealer is shown to be located at an old address and dealers that no longer exist for years are still shown.

I use GPS for flying, and altitude estimation is very unreliable with standard signal.
Therefore they developed WAAS, a ground based system calibrating GPS for additional
precision in the vicinity of airfields. (Available only in the US.)

In the plane you have the barometric altitude available all the time (provided QNH available),
but even that is not good enough for safe landing, so you use the radio altimeter,
very precise, but this gives you just the altitude above the ground, pretty useless in a car. :)

EGNOS is the European equivalent of WAAS and is available over most of Europe. I assume that the Outlander GPS is WAAS/EGNOS enabled - virtually all GPS chipsets in production these days are.

maby said:
EGNOS is the European equivalent of WAAS and is available over most of Europe. I assume that the Outlander GPS is WAAS/EGNOS enabled - virtually all GPS chipsets in production these days are.

I am not sure Mitsu has it, here is the list of available units and I see no MMS on it.
(very few road application at all, anyway)
:(

http://egnos-portal.gsa.europa.eu/developer-platform/developer-toolkit/receiver-list

That list is very out of date - no receiver listed with a release date after 2011.

maby said:
That list is very out of date - no receiver listed with a release date after 2011.

Quite possible, this is how Europe works.. :(

Nevertheless I doubt MMC uses EGNOS, the altitude readings are just ridiculous.
I observed it since one month, driving in relatively flat countryside,
official maps are showing 100 to 150m ASL, while MMC is showing 50 to 200m. :(

The reason could be, that in dense city area it could sometimes
happen that the device cannot see any of the both EGNOS satellites.

You normally will receive EGNOS signals via the normal antenna,
but the EGNOS satellites are geostationary and just two "in sight",
not many to choose from, as GPS satellites.

PolishPilot said:
maby said:

Quite possible, this is how Europe works.. :(

Nevertheless I doubt MMC uses EGNOS, the altitude readings are just ridiculous.
I observed it since one month, driving in relatively flat countryside,
official maps are showing 100 to 150m ASL, while MMC is showing 50 to 200m. :(

The reason could be, that in dense city area it could sometimes
happen that the device cannot see any of the both EGNOS satellites.

You normally will receive EGNOS signals via the normal antenna,
but the EGNOS satellites are geostationary and just two "in sight",
not many to choose from, as GPS satellites.

All perfectly true - my only reservation is that I didn't think anyone was making non-WAAS enabled GPS chipsets these days. It should be reasonably easy to - the MMCS includes a GPS status screen if I remember correctly - the EGNOS birds should show up on it if the vehicle is parked facing south with a clear view of the sky.

Back