Air Con Issue

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Scaplehorn

Hi Everyone

My 2014 Phev lost the gas about 4 years ago and recharged without issue. This time a couple of weeks back had a recharge done (300g added so was low) but still not working. I can hear the compressor run up but then cuts out after a few minutes. I have read on line that the expansion valves are prone to sticking. That would tie in as I guess compressor cutting out on high pressure.
Any advice welcome. I have found expansion valves on ebay but was expecting to see a capillary and bulb attached? See photo.unnamed.jpg

Cheers
Andy

did you/they find a reason for the refrigerant loss?

Not sure how long the system was left with no refrigerant but that can cause issues and may need a new dryer then the system drawn down to a deep vacuum as well as oil and refrigerant then added once the system has been repaired.

There's probably an ECU for the AC so worth finding out if any codes are stored which may help diagnose the issue.

From what I remember when sorting issues on a couple older ICE cars, a number of things can cause the compressor to not run:

1. Failed electric clutch
2. Seized compressor
3. Failed pressure switch
4. insufficient refrigerant pressure
5. Overpressure
6. Failed external/internal temp sensors

No idea which of the above would apply to the PHEV - its unlikely to be using a belt driven by the ICE, for example.

I assume you'd be getting this work done at a certified AC repairer, since discharging the refrigerant to atmosphere isn't legal these days not to mention any health risk if you're nearby breathing it in. For sure don't be smoking nearby if you do...

did you/they find a reason for the refrigerant loss?

Not sure how long the system was left with no refrigerant but that can cause issues and may need a new dryer then the system drawn down to a deep vacuum as well as oil and refrigerant then added once the system has been repaired.

There's probably an ECU for the AC so worth finding out if any codes are stored which may help diagnose the issue.

From what I remember when sorting issues on a couple older ICE cars, a number of things can cause the compressor to not run:

1. Failed electric clutch
2. Seized compressor
3. Failed pressure switch
4. insufficient refrigerant pressure
5. Overpressure
6. Failed external/internal temp sensors

No idea which of the above would apply to the PHEV - its unlikely to be using a belt driven by the ICE, for example.

I assume you'd be getting this work done at a certified AC repairer, since discharging the refrigerant to atmosphere isn't legal these days not to mention any health risk if you're nearby breathing it in. For sure don't be smoking nearby if you do...
Hi and thanks for the interest, the system was not without gas for long, it was working up until a couple of weeks ago. This is a phev with electrically driven compressor, no clutch and belt. As I said the compressor is running up but then cuts out. I think if the expansion valve is sticking it is your number 5.
Refrigerant gas will slowly leak over time - especially 134a as the molecules are very small so even if your system is "tight" a re gas every few years is normal. It is one of the reasons why it has been replaced on newer vehicles.
It will be pumped down properly before any work. My question was about replacement expansion valve...

My air conditioning (compressor)? can be heard going on and off constantly from outside the vehicle. A generator sounds that spools up then switches off, then starts again (repeat continuously)… the actual air conditioning works well enough inside the car although I’ve noticed the blower motor fan speed is inconsistent when on lowest speed and noisy as hell. Almost like it’s struggling. I pay for extended Mitsubishi warranty so it’s going back to the dealer next week for inspection. I’ve never had a car with such a loud fan. I would switch it all off completely but then the car steams up.

My air conditioning (compressor)? can be heard going on and off constantly from outside the vehicle. A generator sounds that spools up then switches off, then starts again (repeat continuously)… the actual air conditioning works well enough inside the car although I’ve noticed the blower motor fan speed is inconsistent when on lowest speed and noisy as hell. Almost like it’s struggling. I pay for extended Mitsubishi warranty so it’s going back to the dealer next week for inspection. I’ve never had a car with such a loud fan. I would switch it all off completely but then the car steams up.
Hi Ckracer76,
My AC compressor was also noisy and three weeks ago local garage diagnosed it was not pumping. I have now changed for a second hand compressor and all works well and the "new" compressor much quieter. I went for second hand as Mitsibushi wanted £4K - yes £4000! for a new one so for sure if you are under warranty get them to sort. FYI I used a website called Breakerlink to find a compressor. Very good.

I’ve never had a car with such a loud fan. I would switch it all off completely but then the car steams up.
My ventilation fan was clattering like a knight stumbling along in shredded armour when I bought the car. Turned out that the pollen filter had been removed and dried leaves had fallen down into the fan housing. Easy removed when a new filter was fitted. May be worth checking for similar?

My ventilation fan was clattering like a knight stumbling along in shredded armour when I bought the car. Turned out that the pollen filter had been removed and dried leaves had fallen down into the fan housing. Easy removed when a new filter was fitted. May be worth checking for similar?
Thanks, I’ll have a look behind the glovebox before I take it to the dealer.

Hi Ckracer76,
My AC compressor was also noisy and three weeks ago local garage diagnosed it was not pumping. I have now changed for a second hand compressor and all works well and the "new" compressor much quieter. I went for second hand as Mitsibushi wanted £4K - yes £4000! for a new one so for sure if you are under warranty get them to sort. FYI I used a website called Breakerlink to find a compressor. Very good.
Wow, that’s a serious amount of money quoted. I don’t have a lot of confidence in dealers but Mitsubishi themselves have looked after me through warranty work so far so hopefully they’ll diagnose accordingly if something is amiss. Of course, they only respond to what a dealer tech reports and perhaps how persuasive they are on my behalf?

Back