23’ Outlander Innovative Pedal - Mike Mas

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies - Hey a lot of drivers love single pedal, my wife won't drive her EV without using it. LOL

Have a great Holiday Guys!

Thanks for the reply - Your correct if kinetic energy is regenerated and goes to the battery as current - if it goes to brakes its just kinetic energy dissipated in heat.

While on the subject of brakes, I neglected to mention when using Innovative Pedal, you can visually see it in action by the brake pedal lowering as you let off the accelerator. Regardless of SOC the system still applies the brakes to a certain point in readiness.

Mike
Hi Mike
Does the use of paddle to regenerate cause the mechanical brake to wear or each electric wheel?
Thanks

Well, while the explanation of one-pedal driving you presented here is correct there are some inaccuracies.

One-pedal is not an on-off switch like you are saying, it is like rheostat with indefinite positions between full on and full off. The power meter needle on the main console will show that and one can coast as well, not so convenient like on B0 though.

Also since one-pedal braking is using the friction pads why you think the vehicle won't use the same friction pads if out of one-pedal driving mode?
I agree, stating the IP is On or Off is incorrect. It was the first error I noticed in this post. I use it all the time and feather what I need in speeding up or slowing down. I thinks its a great innovation (pun intended)

Thanks for the reply - Just to be clear, I'm not saying owners should not use Innovative Pedal if you like it use it. However other than the "Convenience" feature in stop and go traffic there is no advantage. All my I-3's had single pedal driving, while it's different and unique it offers no range advantages. There is a false impression that Innovative pedal offers the owner more regen and range which is simply not true, it's the exact opposite there's less range.

Your comment if you have to stop quickly is another misconception. Performing the same stop that you did with innovative pedal by using the foot brake will yield the same amount of regen energy.

As you make the same stop with the brakes, as you immediately let off the accelerator regen starts, then as you apply the foot brake you will accomplish the same exact amount of regen, since as you apply the brake it first uses regen and only on emergency braking does the disk brakes work. Innovative Pedal is nothing other than a sales feature for manufactures - it accomplishes the same exact thing as the brake pedal.

Another fault of Innovative Pedal is it starts the engine wasting fuel when used it during high SOC. No matter how you look at it, single pedal driving and over use of regen reduces range.

The Outlander is most efficient in "Drive" mode, since B2 offers a perfect blend of low regen and coasting for maximum range.

Regards - Mike
I'm with Mike on his observations here. After driving this car for a year now I've observed all the same stuff.

I'm with Mike on his observations here. After driving this car for a year now I've observed all the same stuff.
I agree there is no regenerative advantage to the IP, but I also bought the car to have some fun and it gives me that. This vehicle provides so many drive options. I only wish the IP was more like the Tesla and would do full stop.

Back