2017 outlander goes to limp mode and petrol engine won’t turn on even

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandhu321

Hi guys need urgent help needed
Bought a outlander recently
Car drives fine in the morning on battery for 5-7 minutes then suddenly goes to limp mode and messages displays EV battery service required
If I try to put on petrol engine by pressing charge it turns on but cuts off itself
If I switch off and restart car starts fine again drives for a minute then again same thing as long as I ll keep doing switch off and on car ll drive for less time than earlier
Is there any advice please 🙏
Will be thankful if anyone can help
I live in west London and couldn’t find hybrid mechanic easily in area asked many but no luck

Is the check engine light on? Plug an OBD adapter and read the codes.

Honestly, you should return the car for service if you bought it from a dealer.

Are you charging it with the granny lead or an EV outlet? Garage said that using granny lead (slow charger in 220v socket) for in certain outlets or using and extension cable with granny lead it can cause that alert.

If this happens while you are driving it's probably not the 12V aux battery. My first suspicion given your symptoms and the fact that you just bought the car is that the previous owner did a BMU reset to try and hide the bad condition of the drive battery. You should drive it to a Mitsubishi dealership so that they can run a check and a DBCAM, which will measure the actual capacity of the drive battery.

The car can go in limp mode if it sees that the drive battery voltage is way lower than what it expected. I wouldn't drive the car too much in that condition, you risk degrading the battery even more. If you really need to drive it, make sure to recharge it at home with the granny charger, and put it in charge mode after just a couple of minutes, to make sure to keep the battery at a high level.

This sounds very similar to a problem I am having with my 2024 PHEV Outlander. I have experienced a disturbing and frustrating problem while driving on the highway a few times in the last couple of months;
The gas portion of the engine completely dies, an immediate reduction in power and not able to maintain a speed over 70km/hr (if the battery is drained, far less). Extremely dangerous while driving on a busy highway (I was almost rear-ended by a Semi last time this happened)
PHEV system fault warning (see pic attached). I have pulled over and let the car "rest" for 15 minutes and then restart and the warning is gone (however, the check engine light is still on), I am able to drive again normally for approximately 20 -30 minutes before the problem repeats. Unfortunately, By the time I am able to get the vehicle into the Service Department (3 times), it functions normally and the warnings messages have disappeared. The technicians are unable to recreate the problem and nothing shows up in the scans (or so they say).
Has anyone else experience this problem? I need to fix the situation, as my Outlander is not reliable for long distance driving and a road hazzard as is.

This sounds very similar to a problem I am having with my 2024 PHEV Outlander. I have experienced a disturbing and frustrating problem while driving on the highway a few times in the last couple of months;
The gas portion of the engine completely dies, an immediate reduction in power and not able to maintain a speed over 70km/hr (if the battery is drained, far less). Extremely dangerous while driving on a busy highway (I was almost rear-ended by a Semi last time this happened)
PHEV system fault warning (see pic attached). I have pulled over and let the car "rest" for 15 minutes and then restart and the warning is gone (however, the check engine light is still on), I am able to drive again normally for approximately 20 -30 minutes before the problem repeats. Unfortunately, By the time I am able to get the vehicle into the Service Department (3 times), it functions normally and the warnings messages have disappeared. The technicians are unable to recreate the problem and nothing shows up in the scans (or so they say).
Has anyone else experience this problem? I need to fix the situation, as my Outlander is not reliable for long distance driving and a road hazzard as is.
Referring to all other issues and solve cases from Mitsubishi, it reminds me that it will not happen in 1000 years by Mitsubishi. PJmacgee said so with different issue. I am afraid to quote this expression without his permission. If is not a good attitude to quote from other post, please point out and I will correct immediately.

Any how, many peoples are suffering for Mitsubishi Service attitude to avoid issues instead of standing behind. I owned over 50 cars until now because I have a wife and 2 children and I took care of their cars by myself, purchasing and repairing advice. My experience on such unsolvable issues by Manufacturer, I totally turn face out from the manufacturer. I never win over the manufacturer. The only thing I can do for revenge is not buy same manufacturer's car. I sold it immediately and search the best reliable car in the market even thou I lose some money. I believe that Out of the Trouble is the best solution on car issues. When I find better car instead of trying to solve current issue, I enjoyed more happiness with the car. Lots of people divorce in these days in spite of loosing money. Why can't we do with the car, if it does not provide happiness. This theory is based on the fact that Mitsubishi Service is worst in my memory. Your symptom does not look simple considering Mitsubishi Engineering and Service Center Reputation. They are not capable to fix under warranty. You will be in disaster stays in mind for long time unless you sell it out. Assuming that it can be covered by warranty under 1/100 possibility, it looks like you need new engine, instead of replacing components. This is the limit of Mitsubishi repair capability. They are not capable to pin point out real defect on the symptoms. Your car might sit in Mitsubishi parking lot for indefinitely waiting parts delivery from Japan, thou it covered by warranty. There are hundreds of the used cars out there with reliable quality and better repair situation than Mitsubishi. I really understand you don't want to spend meaningless money to repair manufacturer's fault, but They are more serious not to lose their money for repair. You might need Lawyer to get approval of warranty. What an effort to save money. It is like an accident(buying a Mitsubishi car). No way to go back. Spend money, get happiness. That is why we earn the money.

I didn't realize how bad Mitsubishi car and service level before I buy 2022 used couple of month ago. I still have warranty but I was kicked out from the service center with touch screen issue(known issue). I repaired it by myself. I am waiting for other defect, so that I can make a decision to sell it and buy Korean Car even though I lose some money. I put more meaning to happiness than saving money.

Back