‘Charge mode’ - is that bad for the battery?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The size of a solar system depends on the slope, size and direction of your roof and your expected power requirements, which depend on the size of your family and how you currently use appliances, lighting, etc.

Consult a solar installer, tell them you want to be able to charge your car every two days, and budget on using about 10 kWh per charge (unless you're always going to charge from 'empty', in which case bump that up to about 13 kWh.)

My daily average usage went from 1.5 kWh (single person in a stand-alone home) to approximately 5.5 kWh after I bought the PHEV. At the time, I was driving the car to work every day and recharging approximately 2.5 times per week.

A 5.5 kW system (or more) seems pretty standard these days. (Three times larger than mine).

My current system is only 1.5 kW. (i.e. generates 1500W at solar noon one day per year.)

By the way. The reason why my home was only consuming 1.5 kWh per day, is down to retro-fitting thermal insulation in the roof, double glazing, solar/gas hot water heating and window shading/insulation (External roller shutters).

Rely on your current power bills for your starting point and work from there.
I am really sorry for such a silly question while your answer is too much in detail. In these days when I search forum, my head is spinning and I don't know what I am doing in this post. I just found that my house is not qualified for solar panel because of construction code. I must be totally crazy because I feel I chose the wrong car for my circumstance. I might have strong mental resistance on Mitsubishi PHEV. Really sorry for my silly question, again.

What could be the system requirements if I plan to charge every other day from solar system?
I would agree with Andy about the need for a 5Kw system to charge the PHEV every other day. However, you can only do this during the day, of course, whereas most of us will also be using energy when the panels aren't producing any - for lighting, cooking, etc. So I also have a 5kwh battery which captures unused energy during the day for use later but additionally tops up during the early hours at off-peak rate so that I start the day's usage with cheap energy before the solar panels kick in. I would recommend this in addition to the panels. 😎

I am really sorry for such a silly question while your answer is too much in detail. In these days when I search forum, my head is spinning and I don't know what I am doing in this post. I just found that my house is not qualified for solar panel because of construction code. I must be totally crazy because I feel I chose the wrong car for my circumstance. I might have strong mental resistance on Mitsubishi PHEV. Really sorry for my silly question, again.
Do you not have access to off-peak energy through the night, at cheap rate? I saved a small fortune over buying petrol by charging up overnight! 😎

I would agree with Andy about the need for a 5Kw system to charge the PHEV every other day. However, you can only do this during the day, of course, whereas most of us will also be using energy when the panels aren't producing any - for lighting, cooking, etc. So I also have a 5kwh battery which captures unused energy during the day for use later but additionally tops up during the early hours at off-peak rate so that I start the day's usage with cheap energy before the solar panels kick in. I would recommend this in addition to the panels. 😎
Good advise.
In the mean time I asked to the clubhouse(maintenance office) about Solar panel but they are negative. Construction Code not allowed in our community.

Do you not have access to off-peak energy through the night, at cheap rate? I saved a small fortune over buying petrol by charging up overnight! 😎
Thanks for your reply. All my effort to find out the way to save money concluded unavailable. First, my driving miles is too short. My annual driving is 1,000 miles. I first thought that I can use all through out the year with EV mode, and charge the battery during night on 120v wall outlet. Even more, If I use solar power to charge, I don't have to spend charging cost on my electric bill.

But this concept was built on my ignorance of the PHEV car and also ignorance of where I live. Every thing concluded useless. I have to burn 5 gallons during 90 days to maintain normal condition of ICE. And my home safe code does not allow to install regular solar panel nor put solar panel in front or rear of the house.

I spent extra money for buying PHEV instead of regular Hybrid and there is no way to recollect them. What past is past. Maybe a few years later I will sell this car and buy another Hybrid or EV for the rest of my life.

If you really want to use solar, why not consider a solar battery. We have a 3.6kw battery and it can be charged by the 400w portable solar panel we can set out in our backyard. Our backyard is fenced and no one can even see them. The panels entirely charge the battery in the hours of daylight. It sounds like from the amount you drive, 3.6kw at night would totally meet your needs.

Quite honestly, I am not sure any HOA has the right to deny solar panel installation given some of the current laws.

That’s great to hear. Thanks for all the advice and info everyone!

The car has been awesome so far, even as a “hybrid” I’ve been getting 7-8L/100km, which for the power and size of the vehicle I found really good!
Also dont forget to put the car in B1 or B2 Mode when driving ( sometimes this is B3 & B5 ) using the gear shifter and when already in D mode. ( If you use cruise control this changes the B options) . Otherwise then every time you brake or ease off on the accelerator you get a charge benifit-further the engine CHARGE is a great option, no risk to the battery--but SAVE mode is also very useful--I only use EV mode around town or occassionally just to enjoy it--big savings--a Level 1 Cable will give you a normal slow charge from your home supply , if you have a cheap EV or Night Rate Tariff then your really benifiting. In my case I have a solar 12 KW solar array driving Hybrid Inverters this means I charge at no cost so long as I have plenty of charge in my storage batteries at home. Radioman-Galway-Ireland ..

If you really want to use solar, why not consider a solar battery. We have a 3.6kw battery and it can be charged by the 400w portable solar panel we can set out in our backyard. Our backyard is fenced and no one can even see them. The panels entirely charge the battery in the hours of daylight. It sounds like from the amount you drive, 3.6kw at night would totally meet your needs.

Quite honestly, I am not sure any HOA has the right to deny solar panel installation given some of the current laws.
The story starts gradually from the motive how efficiently I can utilize PHEV for emergency back up power, since I had bad memory of power out.
From several people here and there advise me with different point of view. Their advises were good but every advices becomes no use because I am driving too short distance to apply their advices. So followings are final conclusion.

1. I thought I could save a little bit of money by less using gas, more using EV mode. This hope is ended with failure because my daily journey is less than 15 miles. - This expectation becomes false because I've learned that I have to burn gas at least 5 gallons in every 90 days to maintain sound ICE condition. I have to use gas 20 gallons per year. I do not have to charge the battery at all whole year, because Hybrid mileage is quite good to cover whole miles enough.

2. Until I make this conclusion, I posted several questions on this forum, but as I approached to those answers one by one, I finally find that my questions are from ignorance the Outlander PHEV. As I come closer to the reality, saving gas or money is not in PHEV world.

3. I live in Manufactured Home 55+ community, and such restrictions are strongly applied. No outside of the home is allowed at all except garbage can and Barbeque set ETC, flower pot but not big unusual stuffs. I don't wanna be outsider in this town. It is not against Fed Law but I would like to be nice to my neighbor and club house by not arguing my necessity but keeping internal regulation. Even more, I do not need any extra power to save money for charging Outlander, as I explained above.

I have no way to save money any more. I will drive this car as it is with ease. Ready to spend mandatory money for gas.

Last edited:
The story starts gradually from the motive how efficiently I can utilize PHEV for emergency back up power, since I had bad memory of power out.
From several people here and there advise me with different point of view. Their advises were good but every advices becomes no use because I am driving too short distance to apply their advices. So followings are final conclusion.

1. I thought I could save a little bit of money by less using gas, more using EV mode. This hope is ended with failure because my daily journey is less than 15 miles. - This expectation becomes false because I've learned that I have to burn gas at least 5 gallons in every 90 days to maintain sound ICE condition. I have to use gas 20 gallons per year. I do not have to charge the battery at all whole year, because Hybrid mileage is quite good to cover whole miles enough.

2. Until I make this conclusion, I posted several questions on this forum, but as I approached to those answers one by one, I finally find that my questions are from ignorance the Outlander PHEV. As I come closer to the reality, saving gas or money is not in PHEV world.

3. I live in Manufactured Home 55+ community, and such restrictions are strongly applied. No outside of the home is allowed at all except garbage can and Barbeque set ETC, flower pot but not big unusual stuffs. I don't wanna be outsider in this town. It is not against Fed Law but I would like to be nice to my neighbor and club house by not arguing my necessity but keeping internal regulation. Even more, I do not need any extra power to save money for charging Outlander, as I explained above.

I have no way to save money any more. I will drive this car as it is with ease. Ready to spend mandatory money for gas.
I think your concerns are getting close to being "silly". 20 gallons of gasoline per year are worth about $100 or less than $9/month. Also, I don't think that the car just stops after 90 days if you don't add the 5 gallons of fuel ... it just continues with the warning. And if you really think it's a great idea to drive around with old fuel, I suppose you could siphon your existing fuel out and then pour it back in :)

No such thing as a "solar battery". You cannot store solar energy.

You guys are quite funny. I am silly, not close to silly, I found that I am silly to buy Mits after found several facts about Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Usually I buy a car after serious search about car. Hence, every car has its serious reason to buy each time. I weren't silly at that time. But I am silly enough to buy Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV today. Calculating 20 gallons per year is a silly calculation, and thinking about charging battery from solar battery(which is not existing according to Littlescrote) to save a money. And I feel silly since I myself signed buying contract paper. But I have to find out whether other PHEV push its owner to fill 5 gallons per 90 days, when he wish to use most of the Driving battery all year round for driving.

Are you sure? Are you really paying more for your electricity than it would cost for petrol? I ran mine for 9 years on grid power before I got my solar panels and saved lots of money.

Also unless you have already filled the car's petrol tank with fuel, you don't have to use 5 gallons every 90 days - you have to put IN 15 litres of fuel every 3 months - so if you have an empty tank to start with then 3 lots of 15 litres will get you to 9 months before having to run the engine for any length of time to make room for another 15 litres. Of course, if you can drain the fuel after adding it then you could avoid even this.

However, at the end of the day, if you are only doing about 1,000 miles per year then any savings or additional costs are going to be very marginal anyway! 😎

Are you sure? Are you really paying more for your electricity than it would cost for petrol? I ran mine for 9 years on grid power before I got my solar panels and saved lots of money.

Also unless you have already filled the car's petrol tank with fuel, you don't have to use 5 gallons every 90 days - you have to put IN 15 litres of fuel every 3 months - so if you have an empty tank to start with then 3 lots of 15 litres will get you to 9 months before having to run the engine for any length of time to make room for another 15 litres. Of course, if you can drain the fuel after adding it then you could avoid even this.

However, at the end of the day, if you are only doing about 1,000 miles per year then any savings or additional costs are going to be very marginal anyway! 😎
Good. It could be real help. Let's see.

Back