Type 1 Charging Cable

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruckman65

My 2014 model has a Type 1 charging cable (5 pin) for use in a standard wall socket at home. I am looking to purchase a cable that has 5 pin on one end and 7 pin on the other so that I can use public charging stations. Would that be the best (or only) solution?

MiPHEV is correct. We ue this cable in Europe. Be careful it's a Type 2 to Type 1 that's required. a Type 1 to Type 2 won't work. - I may be stating the obvious but I've seen confusion on this in other groups.
Thanks kernelpanic. I almost bought the Type 1 to Type 2 before realizing that there is a difference between that and a Type 2 to Type 1!

My 2014 model has a Type 1 charging cable (5 pin) for use in a standard wall socket at home. I am looking to purchase a cable that has 5 pin on one end and 7 pin on the other so that I can use public charging stations. Would that be the best (or only) solution?
I guess I'm confused about why you need a cable for a public site. In Canada all public sites have cables. You can choose level 2 or level 3, if your car is set up for that. BUT...Public sites are so expensive its better to use gas until you get home.

I guess I'm confused about why you need a cable for a public site. In Canada all public sites have cables. You can choose level 2 or level 3, if your car is set up for that. BUT...Public sites are so expensive its better to use gas until you get home.
Because all public sites have a Type 2 connector and the car needs a Type 1. I don't see what's confusing about that.

The level 1 and level 2 charging uses the same plug. its only level 3 that's different.
In Canada you can not use your own cable at a public site.
I didn't say anything about the Level (the kW charging rate).

The Type is the shape of the connector.

For info of anyone who might want to do similar... I've wall-mounted a Type 1 'brick' under a simple shelter. It's plugged into a switched 240V, 13 Amp, socket at the end of a spur - via an isolator switch inside the house - that's tapped from a convenient ring-main socket. (Pic attached.)

A basic arrangement, but it saves digging the charger out of the boot (trunk) and speeds-up connection when it's cold or wet.

I also carry a 10m Type 1 charging cable in the car for when visiting friends and family 🤭.

I've used commercial type 2 chargers twice and a Chademo once, but decided they were too costly and time consuming, so I just stick to using Save and Charge modes for long journeys and live with the possible slight cost disadvantage whilst enjoying the ease, simplicity and quiet of Mitsu PHEV driving.

Attachments

• 20240527_160953.jpg
    20240527_160953.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Back