What happens if I drive under EV mode for several months?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woon Chung

I am new to PHEV. I used to drive Hybrid, but not PHEV.

My usual drive is once a week to Walmart which is 15 miles round trip, 2 times a week all other errends within 5 miles round trip, once in 3 months to Doctor's office visit within 15 miles round trip, once every 6 months for visiting Orlando Shopping Center 45 miles away, as retired single man. Total 1,000 miles per year, yet

Most of the time, I may drive EV mode and charge at night. This will result that I will drive for 6 months under EV mode only.

What kind of maintance I need in such a driving behavier?

Or should I change the driving behavier to maintain PHEV to prevent any possible damage to emgine or battery?

Any tips to learn guage and display.

Please give me a good advoce.

My advice would be to burn some gas on your longer trips and add some fresh fuel at least every 6 months or so. I generally only fill up to 1/2 tank unless going on a road trip. Also do an oil change at least once per year.

Note that the car will force you to run fuel through the system/the engine if you do not do so.

This is to keep everything lubricated, and to stop fuel from going stale in the fuel tank.

That process is triggered every six months for some models, and possibly every three months for others.

When it happens, you'll see a message on screen:

"Engine started to maintain fuel system."

The car will remain in that mode, until you've added 20 litres of fuel to the tank.

Thank you for your all advices. I am planning to drive 70 miles every 6 months and this will be a solution for ICE engine.

By the way, I am influenced by AndylnOz Photo (Illustration) and I ask Edge AI to draw my illustration and will us this as temporary my ID Photo. Actually it is far different than my actual photo. Most exact part is bold hair. khkhkhkh.

Last edited:
For me I typically drive up to Orlando and back at least once a month and it is approximately 110 miles round trip. This guarantees that I will burn some gas on a monthly basis and fuel will be added to keep from going stale! I just added about 4 gallons to get back up to 1/2 tank. I don’t normally fill up unless going on a road trip.
Last year I put around 9K miles on this car just on road trips alone. No plans for any road trips this year.

Back