USB not charging PC or Phone

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemills

I am new to the PHEV and to this forum. I am finding that when I plug in an iPhone to the USB it charges however When I plug in my Numia 950 or my ASUS T100 they do not charge. The Numia 950 flashes the text "Charging" for a split second when plugged in then stops charging. It has a USB-C socket and I use a USA-A to USB-C cable that came with the phone. The ASUS T100 has a standard micro USB socket. When this is plugged in to the car socket the red charge LED lights but it does not actually charge the laptop. Does anyone know what is going on?

May not be enough current to charge a laptop - USB plug-in chargers in the car are normally 1 amp or 2 amp maximum. An iPhone needs 1 amp minimum. Check what your charger says its output power is. The Numia may need a high (2 amp) charge current.

USB C is very selective on what works or doesn't - apparently, so I read, even though USB C looks to be a standard, some cables will simply not work where others do. Amazon are trying to ensure that all USB C cables sold via their website completely meets the USB C standard, a lot of the cheap ones do not and can cause damage to the equipment. I bought a cheap 2 metre USB C to USB C cable to charge my Macbook and it simply will not charge, although it is fine for other uses.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, now that you mention it I believe the ACER charger is a 2 amp one and I know that when I used the laptop on a 1amp charger it's battery went flat. If that is the cause then iPads will likely display a "Not charging" message when plugged in and in use. I guess I will have to use a decent 12v converter instead.

Back