Regenerative braking engaging by itself after tyre change

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rablove

Help Help Help !!

Just had both rear tyres changed and ever since, it feels like, the regenerative braking intermittently engages by itself.

There is no change on the dash....it stays in Drive mode but when you take your foot of the accelerator it feels like it is in B5 mode. The only way to counteract this is to set regenerative braking in B0 mode.

Anyone any ideas ?????

Can't see any possible connection. Me and lots of others would have had the tyres changed twice last winter (summer to winter & back to summer) without any problem.

I suppose the tyres are the correct size? If you have different diameters, the ABS or Stability Control may be fooled.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

As the car is leased, i'll leave it upto Zenith to get it fixed.

Cheers

Rab

rablove said:
Help Help Help !!

Just had both rear tyres changed and ever since, it feels like, the regenerative braking intermittently engages by itself.

I have done as many km as most and I struggle to notice any real wear on my PHEV tyres in 37000km.

I can't imagine changing one tyre soon, and struggle with the thought of needing 2 to be changed unless the car has like done 50000km.

@45000 Km I am starting to see some wear -and more on the front wheels-, but they are still a long way from being replaced.

gwatpe said:
rablove said:
Help Help Help !!

I have done as many km as most and I struggle to notice any real wear on my PHEV tyres in 37000km.

I can't imagine changing one tyre soon, and struggle with the thought of needing 2 to be changed unless the car has like done 50000km.

Hmm - just started to get "low tire(?) pressure" warning every couple of days for one of the front wheels. As I've only done 5,000 miles in 12 months and the only way of testing for this kind of puncture is to remove the wheel from the car - I might have to buy a spare wheel :evil:

Do you reset the TPM after pumping it up?

I found my new GX3h started warning about tyre pressure as the nights got colder. I inflated the tyres to the right pressure in the morning, reset the TPM and not heard anything since.

Are the new tyres you fitted EXACTLY the same make and model as the fronts.
If not, this is probably your problem.

I have found to my cost (or at least that of the leasing company), that the tyres must be changed in pairs as the wear needs to be even, and all 4 axles need the same make of tyre.
I haven't made this up, it was an instruction from Mitsubishi in response to electrical problems post 1st tyre change.
(I was very sceptical at the time, but it instantly fixed all the problems).

I have now covered 30k miles and am just going onto my 3rd full set of tyres.
I have had to 'throw away' perfectly good tyres in order to change in pairs - I really would not be happy if I was paying for these myself.

No, not racing, the car gets used as a 4wd with constant mountain driving, not poncing around the city.

As for 4 axles, the technical description of a shock/hub assembly is an 'axle', try and get your facts write before being dismissive.

There will not be any pictures, I guess. Even though it is Friday evening :(

Care to explain what these are? Must be motorcycle trailers: http://bigtextrailers.com/single-axle-trailers/ ;)

Not saying you are technically wrong, but it was just a joke, my dear.

PeterGalbavy said:
Do you reset the TPM after pumping it up?

I found my new GX3h started warning about tyre pressure as the nights got colder. I inflated the tyres to the right pressure in the morning, reset the TPM and not heard anything since.

Reset the TPM - how?

I suspect that the PHEV will not be one I would put my hand up for 2nd hand. :lol: The wear on the tyres is usually a reflection on the rest of the car.

There are many better tyres for off tarmac driving. My own experiences have seen the limits of the TOYO factory std option. OK brand new, but lacking grip as they wear. I am looking at some options with a more open tread for the next set.

I tested a 16" steel rim with a different brand of tyre with 3 of the 18" std tyres, and no warnings came up on the dash. Maybe the TPMS is too sensitive. Here in AUS, we don't have the option. Maybe MMC are aware that sometimes we can't always get an identical replacement. I could not detect any change in my PHEV, even with the different tyre on the front or the back of the car.

greendwarf said:
Reset the TPM - how?

When the pressure is ok and the tires are cold, go into the settings menu on the dash display:

The car must be in ACC-mode, and the handbrake have to be applied.

Cycle through the dash display options and hold the button for 3 seconds or more on the "settings" option.
Then, cycle through the options and find the reset option and hold. The icon says "reset" on an icon that I guess is a tire cross section with an exclamation mark.

The pressure warning icon will blink slowly, and the manual states that you should drive a short run until the warning light stops blinking.

when it comes to tyre change, does it have to be Toyo R37? they are £ 98 each...not cheap so a pair will cost nearly £200 plus fitting.

Am I the only one having a very hard time believing this story? How in earth name would the car know what brand of tyre you have on each wheel (as long as they are of similar size)?

I know dealers are trying to sell us that story, but has only one of us heard a solid explanation for this? Time to bring in the mythbusters :mrgreen:

Back