Noise only when in reverse gear 2022 Outlander PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woon Chung

I bought used 2022 outlander PHEV with 45600 miles on it 3 weeks ago (07/23/2024).
Since this vehicle is under manufacturer warranty, I didn't have much worries on issues when I hear strange noise from under hood when the gear is in reverse. After I got this vehicle, I drove it to Mitsubishi Service Center and let them hear the noise. They say "It's normal". and rush me out of the garage. My head is not cleared but I have no choice to leave the site. The noise is not so loud but quite far different from any mechanical noise, like clicking, squawking, grinding ETC. How the noise from the car could be "Normal"?

Please share me the reason of the noise or what should I do or what knowledge I should learn about Outlander PHEV

It is an electronic noise generator to warn pedestrians because the electric motor is almost silent at low speeds.
They should have explained this to you instead of just stating "it's normal" and rushing you away.
Thank you for your kind explanation. By the way if it is manually created, is there any way to deactivate the sound? Can I find it in user manual?

There is no reverse gear!

Low speed is always electric motors only, so it's just motors in forward or reverse.

If there's a noise that isn't the audible warning for pedestrians, which should sound equally for low speed forwards movement, then I'm struggling to think what it could be.

It could be the rear motor mount bushes meaning that the motor torque moves it differently in reverse to forwards which could cause a knocking noise.

If it’s your audible warning sound it can be turned off via a switch just below the steering wheel left or right hand
side , or do you have a rear parking sensor that would make a sound in reverse ? .

There is no reverse gear!

Low speed is always electric motors only, so it's just motors in forward or reverse.

If there's a noise that isn't the audible warning for pedestrians, which should sound equally for low speed forwards movement, then I'm struggling to think what it could be.

It could be the rear motor mount bushes meaning that the motor torque moves it differently in reverse to forwards which could cause a knocking noise.
Does this mean you don't hear any noise when your car is moving backward in the driveway or parking? My car is 2022 Outlander PHEV SEL. What's yours?

I don't think you can disable it. As far as I know, it's required by law. All electric cars (and hybrids) have that feature.
Depends on the Model Year as to what regulations were in place at the time of build. For example, on my 2016 you can switch it off as Chris427 says. At some point after that, I believe it became mandatory, and therefore not switchable.

Does this mean you don't hear any noise when your car is moving backward in the driveway or parking? My car is 2022 Outlander PHEV SEL. What's yours?
What noise? I have the generated noise to warn pedestrians (which I can disable), but no other noises.

My 2019 has a very loud noise when backing up and it is required by law in Canada to warn people since the motors make no noise. The sound is generated by speakers behind the front fog lights. Its hard to get under there to unplug them and my vehicle does not have a switch to turn the sound off.

Back