eelectric shock from tailgate

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgillesp

I just got a low voltage shock from the rubber (yes?) surround on the Outlanders tailgate. This happened on the driver side upright about 3/4 of the way up while the PHEV was plugged in and I was loading some stuff. I simply pressed on the rubber seal on the main body (I think some call it the pinch strip) and got a shock. I can reproduce it. It is low voltage so you just get a tingle.

Importantly, it doesnt happen when not plugged in.

Has anyone had this problem?

Tim

Actually it is very high voltage static electricity, it can happen with any car. If you hold your key you can even draw a solid spark. They used to sell flexible strips dragging on the road to counteract the effect. Maybe still do.

tgillesp said:
I just got a low voltage shock from the rubber (yes?) surround on the Outlanders tailgate. This happened on the driver side upright about 3/4 of the way up while the PHEV was plugged in and I was loading some stuff. I simply pressed on the rubber seal on the main body (I think some call it the pinch strip) and got a shock. I can reproduce it. It is low voltage so you just get a tingle.

Importantly, it doesnt happen when not plugged in.

Has anyone had this problem?

Tim

You say that you can reproduce this effect. Does it appear to matter if the area around the vehicle is wet or damp where you stand or does it not seem to make a difference?

Is the shock you are feeling confined to the hand you are pressing on the Rubber Strip and is it happening between the rubber strip and the metal portion of the tailgate?

Also if you can reproduce this situation can you try using a Volt or Multi-meter and get a Reading to see what Voltage is present between the rubber strip and the rest of the tailgate also between the rubber strip and earth (ground).

As you say it tingles and happens when plugged in only, this can be signs of a dodgy electrical wiring.

I am not sure what's in the control boxes and if it detects stray currents, but potentially there is a problem with the ground connection in the outlet . This can be dangerous, especially if some other problem occurs.

If you know what you are doing you can measure the AC voltage between the earth (a water pipe or something) and the car (exposed metal) while plugged in , but I suggest that you get an electrician to have a look at it.

Back